|“|| Dean: An Alpha? Like-|
Samuel: Like all monsters come from somewhere, right? (...) First one, who spawned all the others.
— Samuel and Dean
in Two and a Half Men
Alphas stand as the fathers of their allotted species.
The Alphas are the children of Eve and the first of their respective species. As the first and oldest, they are also the most powerful Monsters and are regarded as the parent of their respective race, since they were the ones who began populating each monster race once Eve had created them.
Although never specified, each Alpha was likely created by passing their genetics into a human host, which is why the two known Alphas retain human appearances when they're not transforming.
In the ShowEdit
The alpha vampire is kidnapped and taken by Samuel and Christian for interrogation, it reveals Samuel's motives of locating Purgatory. It seemed very interested in the fact that Sam had no soul. It escaped the Campbell's custody and snapped Christian's neck in a fight. It was about to turn Sam when Christian injected it with dead man's blood, which weakened it. Three demons then restrained the alpha, teleporting him away to Crowley's prison. Although snapping Christian's neck had no effect on the demon that was currently possessing him, the Alpha killed the actual Christian.
The alpha skinwalker (off-screen) rallies an army of Skinwalkers who are ordered to turn the families of the pets they are posing as when directed. Also at the beginning of the episode, Crowley alludes to the existence of an alpha Werewolf.
The alpha shapeshifter appears in the beginning of the episode taking the form of Crowley's host. He was being tortured by Crowley and was killed by a beheading because he would not tell him the location of Purgatory. Weapons made of iridium are capable of harming the alpha shapeshifter. At the conclusion of the episode, Castiel clears out Crowley's prison of all the monsters, of which it is mentioned at least a few alphas were there that were destroyed.
The alpha vampire returns, having escaped Crowley's prison before it was destroyed. The Winchesters need his blood to help stop the leviathans as the blood of an alpha is one of the ingredients needed for Bone Of Righteous Mortal Washed In the Three Bloods of Fallen. After learning that the leviathans intend to wipe out his race and when Sam and Dean save him from Edgar, the Alpha Vampire gives them his blood without a fight.
After the British Men of Letters begin targeting all vampires in North America, the Alpha Vampire leads an attack on their headquarters. During a confrontation with Mick Davies and Sam and Mary Winchester, the Alpha Vampire was killed by Sam with the Colt.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
As the creators of their specific species, each of them are much more powerful because of literally being the first of their kind.
- Telepathic Link - They possess a telepathic link to their children, allowing them to track or communicate with them over great distance. They can also learn knowledge their children possess. Although all monsters possess a link to Eve, the alphas possess a stronger link.
- Super Strength - As the eldest, purest, and most endowed of their respective breeds; alphas possess far superior strength than any common member of their species. The strongest of them are at least stronger than a common demon or at most powerful enough to push a Leviathan away for a few moments.
- Super stamina - Their durability and pain thresholds are far superior to the rest of their species.
- Immunity - Alphas are more resistant to certain weapons that harm lesser members of their races. For example, the alpha shapeshifter is immune to silver and the alpha vampire demonstrated a high degree of resilience to dead man's blood. Also, the alpha shapeshifter was only slowed down by an amount of tranquilizer fluid that would have taken down an elephant.
- Immortality - Even if their species is not immortal, the alpha is, provided they are not killed. This is supported by the fact that while shapeshifters are not immortal, their alpha did not die until recently, when he was beheaded by Crowley, despite having been alive the last time Eve, the Mother of All, walked the Earth, when all alphas were created.
- Invulnerability - It was noted that a weapon that could easily kill lesser vampires would only slow the Alpha Vampire down. The only weapon noted to be able to kill him was the Colt. Silver and powerful tranquilizers also caused no harm to the Alpha Shapeshifter.
- Endurance - The alpha vampire was not even phased by being electrocuted, so it stands to reason the other alphas have an extreme pain threshold as well.
- Enhanced Abilities - All skills that are owned by their own offspring alphas own on a considerably higher level.
- The Colt - It can kill all but five things in all of Creation including the Alphas as seen with the death of the Alpha Vampire.
- Leviathans - They can kill any kind of monster.
- Eve - As their mother, Eve can kill alphas.
- Hordes of Demons - A group of three black-eyed demons were able to capture a badly weakened alpha vampire.
- Decapitation - Used by Crowley to kill the Alpha Shapeshifter. As a vampire, the Alpha Vampire was vulnerable to this weakness as well.
- Alpha Vampire (deceased)
- Alpha Shapeshifter (deceased)
- Alpha Skinwalker (mentioned)
- Alpha Werewolf (mentioned by Crowley)
- Alpha Djinn (mentioned indirectly by Crowley)
- Alpha Borderwalker (tie-in books only; created by Huehuecoyotl)
- Alpha Wendigo (mentioned in Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting)
- Alpha Ghoul (mentioned in Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting)
- Alpha Wraith (mentioned in Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting)
- Alpha Arachne (unknown)
- Season 6
- Season 7
- Season 8
- Season 12
- Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting (non-canon; Alpha Werewolf, Skinwalker, Wendigo, Shapeshifter, Ghoul, Djinn and Wraith)
- Supernatural: Coyote's Kiss (Alpha Borderwalker)
- Through their mother Eve, the Alphas - as well as the descendants of each Alpha - are related to the Leviathans.