|You think his friends just called him Yellow Eyes? He had a name.|
This article is about a canonical individual whose real name is unknown, and is known only by a conjectural title, nickname or alias.
|“||I am the son of Eve!||”|
— Alpha Vampire
in There Will Be Blood
The Alpha Vampire was the very first vampire and progenitor of all other vampires. He was one of the Alpha monsters captured and interrogated by Crowley and Castiel in their efforts to locate Purgatory. He escaped Crowley's prison and set up a new nest in North Dakota, and then Montana. He was later tracked down for his blood for the weapon to defeat the Leviathans. Ultimately recognizing a common enemy, he gave the Winchesters what they asked for without a fight. During an attack on the British Men of Letters, the Alpha Vampire was killed by Sam Winchester with the Colt.
|“||When your kind first huddled around the fire, I was the thing in the dark!||”|
It is unknown exactly how old he is, but he mentions he was "the thing in the dark" when humans first built fire, as well has having lived through "continental divide", implying he's hundreds of thousands, if not over a million years old. When asked, he admitted to knowing about the leviathans, correlating to his age. He was created by Eve, like all the other alpha monsters, and is implied to have been the very first monster she created.
He created an entire race of vampires across the world that soon populated into a new civilization. He kept close tabs on his "children" while continuing to populate the world with Vampires for many years.
The Alpha Vampire is first glimpsed briefly flashing in the minds of its "children" as it commanded them to recruit more for its army. Nothing is known about this particular monster, aside from the fact its "messages" could be heard by all vampires and render them unconscious. Dean Winchester sees this vision while he is infected.
Samuel Campbell and his people capture the Alpha Vampire. They subdue him using an I.V. of dead man's blood and attempt to interrogate him, but he is extremely resistant to pain and gives Samuel no information. After Samuel leaves the room where he is being held, the alpha senses Sam and Dean telling to come in. He reveals to them that, though he is the first vampire, he has a mother. He recognizes Dean from his brief time as a vampire and he seems interested in Sam's soullessness.
He also tells them that their grandfather is torturing him for information about Purgatory and where it is located. Shortly after their conversation, he breaks out of his cage and almost turns Sam into a vampire. However, demons appear injecting him with dead man's blood before taking him away on Crowley's orders. It is revealed that Samuel has been working for Crowley, who will continue to question the Alpha Vampire about the location of Purgatory.
When Crowley asks Sam and Dean to find another Alpha, Sam and Dean ask if the Alpha Vampire was not enough for him. It is probable that Crowley could not get any information out of him as he is extremely resistant to pain and torture.
Later on, when the Winchesters confronted the Alpha at his retreat, they discovered he had been raising two human children - a boy and a girl - the latter of whom alerted the Alpha that Sam and Dean were coming. They also discovered that the Alpha Vampire had made an alliance with Dick Roman and the Leviathans, and that the two races intended to jointly harvest humanity once the Leviathans had dumbed down the population with their DNA-changing food additives.
The Winchesters protested that the Leviathans' additives were also designed to kill vampires. They also told the Alpha that they need his blood to stop the Leviathans. The Alpha was skeptical of their claims, as he was still angry with them for his capture and torture the previous year by their grandfather. When his human "son" informed him that Edgar had arrived, the Alpha had Sam and Dean locked in another room while he met with Edgar.
The Alpha asked Edgar about the additives in the food, and Edgar admitted there are "kinks" in them. The Alpha Vampire then asked what the Leviathans were doing to fix them, and where on their list was his request. At this point, Edgar dropped all pretense and answered, "My dear friend... nowhere." He smugly informs the Alpha that the vampires would "burn" like the roaches they are. He explained that there are "seven billion" humans on the planet, and the Leviathans intended to wipe out all other supernatural species to ensure their dominance.
When the Alpha argued that vampires and Leviathans are related species, Edgar sneered "barely". The Alpha furiously retorted that he was the "son of Eve", but Edgar said he considered him a pathetic "mutt" not worthy of respect, and that his mother Eve was a whore. Enraged, the Alpha attacked Edgar with a concealed goblet of Borax, but Edgar recovered swiftly and beat the Alpha into submission. He then prepared to devour the Alpha and drink all his blood (thus eliminating a key component in the only weapon that can kill the Leviathans), but Sam and Dean burst into the room. The brothers caught Edgar off guard and decapitate him, putting the Leviathan out of commission.
Dean then tried to bleed the Alpha, but the Alpha threw him aside and told them there's been enough fighting and that his human daughter Emily is already upset enough. In response, Sam berated him for kidnapping Emily in the first place. Surprisingly, the Alpha had decided to give them the blood anyway, and cut his wrist, bleeding into a goblet, which he gave the Winchesters. After some more arguing, he also agreed to release one of the two children he'd been raising. As the Winchesters are leaving, the Alpha promised to "see you next season."
In The Raid, the Alpha Vampire returns when a large percentage of his vampires were killed because of the British Men of Letters starting a covert war with all of the vampires in America. With the help of rogue hunter Pierce Moncrieff, the Alpha Vampire leads an attack on the British Men of Letters headquarters, killing two hunters and telling Mick Davies that he is going to make Mick call his bosses and declare their mission a failure before draining him live on camera.
Sam and Mary Winchester arrive and Sam arms himself with the Colt which the Alpha Vampire claims to be immune to. Sam however sees through his bluff, knowing that if the Alpha Vampire was telling the truth, he'd have killed Sam already. Sam offers the Alpha Vampire a deal: if he leaves the Winchesters alone to return to the way things were, he can kill Mick and the British operation. Mick attacks Sam and Mary the Alpha Vampire at this, but both are easily defeated.
After defeating the attack on himself, the Alpha Vampire calls Sam's bluff, knowing that the Colt is not loaded. Sam asks the Alpha Vampire if he's sure and the Alpha Vampire quickly realizes that Mick and Mary's actions were so that Mick could slip Sam a bullet and then so that he could load it. As Sam cocks the Colt, the impressed Alpha Vampire calls Sam a "clever, clever boy" with a tone of respect. Sam shoots the Alpha Vampire through the head with the Colt. As the legendary gun's power works on him, the Alpha Vampire chuckles briefly before dropping to the ground, dead.
Following the Alpha Vampire's death, his surviving attacking vampires retreat. Sam then tells Mick he's joining the British operation, saying that in spite of everything that had happened that night, they managed to kill the Alpha Vampire and are making the world a better place.
In Ladies Drink Free, due to the events with the Alpha Vampire, Mick asks to join the Winchesters on a hunt so he can learn to defend himself. While Dean is reluctant, Sam points out the help Mick gave with killing the Alpha Vampire.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
|“||I think you got the oldest monster on Earth thinking that he can hold his own because he always has.||”|
The Alpha Vampire has all the traits and abilities of normal vampires, although they are greatly enhanced due to his advanced age and status as the Alpha. As an Alpha, he was one of the most powerful monsters to ever live.
- Immortality - The Alpha Vampire will live forever, provided he has a steady supply of blood and is not decapitated. He is well over 10,000 years old and was present when man first discovered fire and having endured through centuries of rain, fire, ice, and continental divide.
- Super Senses - Enhanced sight, hearing, and smell inherent in the vampire species. He could sense Sam and Dean even when they were hiding and told them to come out.
- Super Strength - As the first vampire in existence, the Alpha Vampire is considerably stronger than humans, lesser demons, and all vampires. His strength is such that it took three demons to restrain him, even after being continually filled with dead man's blood and right after receiving two further doses of dead man's blood directly to the neck. He was even able to hold his own (if barely) against Edgar, a high-tier Leviathan, pushing him away with one arm.
- Super Speed - The Alpha Vampire can move at speeds much faster than any human and most monsters. He ranks as one of the fastest creatures seen on the show, barring those who can teleport.
- Regeneration - Is able to quickly regenerate any non-lethal wound he suffered.
These abilities are exclusive to him as the Alpha Vampire.
- Soul Reading - The Alpha had the ability to sense that Sam had no soul.
- Extendable Fingernails - The Alpha was able to make his fingernails grow at will, extending them long enough to cut through his bonds. He later used this ability to cut himself, and give the Winchesters his blood.
- Enhanced Resilience - The Alpha Vampire had demonstrated a drastically augmented pain threshold, easily enduring any and all forms of torture that Samuel or Crowley could devise, such as electroshocks and injection of dead people's blood. He was also able to still function at his peak despite the torture, allowing him to not only break free when given the opportunity, but also defeat several humans, and kill one of them before demons arrived and restrained him.
- Telepathy - The Alpha Vampire was able to communicate telepathically with all of his "children" (Dean called it his "psychic bat-signal"). Connecting with his children has an effect on them. When the Alpha contacted the vampires in Boris's nest and Dean (which may have been a worldwide communication), they were each filled with a sense of euphoria and lost consciousness for the duration of his abstract visual message. Apparently, this ability can be stunted by pumping enough dead man's blood into his system.
- Connection to the Mother of All - Although all monsters have a connection to Eve, the Alphas seem to have a more direct link to her, even across dimensions. Through this connection, she was able to give the Alpha Vampire orders to prepare for the upcoming war, and to "recruit" more monsters. He was also privy to her location, Purgatory, and how to find it.
- Invulnerability - Due to his status as one of the oldest monsters on Earth, the Alpha Vampire had a high degree of invulnerability. When discussing options for fighting him, Sam Winchester suggests that the Anti-Vampire Device which easily kills lesser vampires might only slow down the Alpha Vampire a little. The only weapon known to be able to cause him harm is the Colt which can kill all but five things in existence.
- Dead man's blood - While still affected by this, it takes much more to subdue him and he can recover quickly from it. Gallons of it pumping through him prevents the Alpha Vampire from using his "psychic Bat Signal" to call upon nearby vampires for help.
- Decapitation - Vampires can be killed with decapitation.
- Demons - Multiple demons at once could overpower him.
- Vamptonite - Vamptonite is fatal to all creatures that feed on humans including the Alpha Vampire.
- The Colt - Except for five beings in Creation, the Colt can kill anything, including the Alpha Vampire.
- Leviathans - While he was able to push Edgar away twice during their fight, Edgar was very confident he would win and was able to overpower the Alpha Vampire and nearly killed him. Even with Borax the Alpha Vampire still failed to rip Edgar's head off. Sam predicted that in a fight, Edgar would "eat him alive" with little difficulty.
After the British Men of Letters began wiping out all the vampires in the United States, the Alpha Vampire led a raid on the British Men of Letters compound. As the Alpha Vampire threatened Mick Davies, he was confronted by Sam who was armed with the Colt. As Sam and the Alpha Vampire negotiated, Mick attacked Sam and secretly slipped him a newly created bullet for the Colt while Mary Winchester attacked the Alpha Vampire, giving Sam time to load the bullet. After the Alpha Vampire realized what had just happened, Sam shot him through the head with the Colt. The Alpha Vampire laughed as the legendary gun's power worked on him before dropping to the ground, dead.
|“||You do not live through centuries of fire and ice and continental divide by jumping to conclusions.||”|
— Alpha Vampire
in There Will Be Blood
The Alpha Vampire often acts as a calm and cultured being, with a taste for the finer things, however when pushed, he reveals a furious temper, and has no qualms about savagely attacking the source of his anger. He is also cunning and highly intelligent; being one of the main architects in Eve's plans, he also had a habit of planning ahead.
When it came to humans, he, like the majority of his race, regarded them as nothing more than food, and does not care how many were killed. Despite this, he started raising two human kids while being concerned for their well-being.
He was, however, more civil when dealing with other monsters, and seemed to think of them as distant relatives.
However, when it came to other vampires, he did truly care about them, and considered them all his children. He took his role as father of their species seriously, acting as both their leader and their protector. He is also greatly angered when they are harmed or killed.
Despite being ruthless, he is not above negotiating or knowing when to call it quits.
The Alpha Vampire tells Mick Davies that he is old and prefers to live quietly, but when mass numbers of his "children" are slaughtered by the British Men of Letters in America, he is willing to get involved as America is his home. While speaking with Sam, the Alpha Vampire admits that he doesn't mind that hunters kill vampires occasionally when they "get out of line" as he has so many children and it's a fair fight.
While talking with Mick, the Alpha Vampire admits to seeing America as his home but doesn't care at all about England as "it's England."
Despite his general hatred for hunters, the Alpha Vampire appeared to possess a measure of respect for the Winchesters. In There Will Be Blood, while he wasn't willing to believe their word right away, he also didn't totally dismiss their claims and wanted to be sure before he made a decision. After they saved him from Edgar, the Alpha Vampire was willing to put aside his differences with them, albeit begrudgingly, to defeat the Leviathans as they had a common enemy. The Alpha Vampire also appeared to feel he owed them for saving his life as his stated reason for giving them his blood was "for taking care of Edgar." However, he didn't appear pleased to owe his life to hunters. In The Raid, the Alpha Vampire appeared to seriously consider Sam's offer when negotiating with him. Despite knowing that Sam was moments away from killing him, the Alpha Vampire conveyed a level of respect for the hunter with his last words, calling him a "clever, clever boy" for fooling him as Sam had managed to do.
He appears to be of African descent. Like all vampires, he has a set of retractable razor sharp teeth, as well as long, claw-like fingernails.
- Season 6
- Season 7
- Season 12
- According to Andrew Dabb in the book "Supernatural the Official Companion Season 6","There is a ton of lore and origin stories about the Alpha Vampire but essentially what we ended up going with was that line 'When mankind first built a fire, I was the thing in the darkness.' The idea is that the alpha is the initial predator and the fact that this monster was out there in the darkness waiting for them is why people huddled around campfires. He views humanity as prey. In the same way we [humans] wouldn't want to wipe out every cow on Earth, its never been the monsters' goal to wipe humanity out."
- The Alpha Vampire was the only known Alpha left in existence before his death. With the Alpha Vampire dead, all of the Alphas may now be gone.
- Though not confirmed, it has been stated in There Will Be Blood that he is the oldest monster on the planet Earth.
- The Alpha Vampire apparently broke the fourth wall when he told the Winchesters in one of the last episodes of Season 7, "See you next season".
- Whether he broke the fourth wall or he meant something else is unknown as though it implied the Alpha would make an appearance in Season 8, he did return at all until Season 12.
- Rick Worthy claims to know the Alpha Vampire's real name. He also says that the Alpha is of royal ancestry. Whether this refers to Eve or if he was human at one point remains to be seen.
- Ironically, Rick Worthy plays anti-vampire mayor Rudy Hopkins in a town filled with vampires in The Vampire Diaries.
- In The Raid it's revealed that the British Men of Letters believed the Alpha Vampire to have been located in Morocco for at least a decade. They were surprised to learn that he had been seen in Hoople, North Dakota five years before.
- The Alpha Vampire is the third evil being to laugh after being mortally wounded by a Winchester. The other two are Dick Roman and the Prince of Hell Ramiel.
- The Alpha Vampire is the second Alpha shown being killed on-screen. The first was the Alpha Shapeshifter killed by Crowley in Caged Heat.