|“||Like we're actually a family? When what we really are are a bunch of glowing lights filled with self-loathing or delusions of grandeur. Or both.||”|
Angels are powerful celestial beings of light created by God to serve as his attendants and messengers, but also as his soldiers and warriors in his war against Lucifer and his demons. They are native to Heaven and are imbued with considerable power.
Angels are one of the most powerful entities in the series, generally outclassing all demons, monsters, ghosts, and other supernatural creatures with the exception of the Leviathans, The Antichrist, Eve, The Horsemen, Amara, Jack, Cosmic Entity and God.
Upon death, all angels are sent to a dimension called The Empty, where they, along with all deceased demons, slumber for eternity. No known being has ever escaped The Empty, until Castiel was awoken from his slumber by the nephilim Jack, and later expelled from the dimension by the Cosmic Entity.
|“||You, celestial being, have been created to be an angel of the Lord.||”|
— The inner "programming" of an angel
Sometime after God came into being, he created the four supreme angels called archangels (Michael, Lucifer, Raphael, and Gabriel) who helped him defeat Amara in a terrible war. With the archangels' help, God managed to seal The Darkness away with a Mark, which he entrusted to Lucifer. Some time after the war with Amara, God created the first beasts, the Leviathans, but he became concerned that the Leviathans were too dangerous for the rest of his creations, so he created Purgatory and locked the Leviathans away inside.
Soon after, the first amphibians came out of the ocean onto beaches. Long after that, God created humans. God assigned Gadreel to protect his cherished creations in the "Garden of Eden". He then asked all the angels to bow down to humans as his greatest creation and love them more than him. Lucifer, due to the corrupting effect of the Mark, became envious, as he was God's favorite creation before humans, and saw that humans were broken, flawed, and murderous. Lucifer attempted to convince God of the flawed nature of humans, but God didn't listen. Faced with this situation, Lucifer became increasingly desperate. He went to Michael and asked him to stand with him, but Michael refused. Whereas Raphael chose to side with God and Michael, Gabriel, being unable to deal with the constant arguments, fled to Earth, posing as The Trickster, Loki. Michael and Lucifer later fought until, eventually, Michael cast Lucifer out of Heaven. Out of anger against God, Lucifer corrupted a human soul, who would later be known as Lilith, into the first demon. Lucifer then slipped past Gadreel into the garden and poisoned the Earth with his own evil, forcing God to lock Gadreel away (for thousands of years), as he failed to keep Lucifer out of the garden. God then had Michael personally cast Lucifer into Hell, specifically Lucifer's Cage. Lucifer was locked away with over 600 powerful seals, 66 of which needed to be broken for his release. A prophecy states that one day Lucifer will break free, initiating the Apocalypse, and that Michael will kill him and bring paradise to Earth.
Following the failure of Gadreel, and the fall of mankind, God left Heaven. Before he left, God picked the angel Metatron to be his personal scribe, and take down his word. He told the scribe all his secrets, and Metatron wrote them down on various stone tablets. Out of fear that the archangels would steal the information of God from him, Metatron fled to Earth, choosing to live among a Native American Tribe.
Castiel and his garrison tentatively watch the first humans hold dominion over the Earth, as God originally intended. Castiel watched events like the falling of the Tower of Babel and the destruction of Sodom and Gommorah. Castiel's immediate garrison - Anna, Uriel, Hester, Balthazar and Inias - are stationed to protect and watch the Earth. They watch and wait in silence for thousands of years, hearing nothing from God or their superiors in Heaven.
Angels speak using Enochian in Heaven, on Earth they use their vessel's language.
Reapers are first credited in John's journal. Dean and Sam first encounter a reaper in the episode Faith, seen assisting Roy Legrange "heal" the sick. However, only someone who is dead or near-death (or is the target of it) can see a reaper. The reaper can be controlled by black magic and was released by smashing the rosary controlling it, and then the reaper killed Sue Ann LeGrange, the woman controlling him.
When Dean was dying in the hospital after the Impala was hit by a demon-possessed truck driver, Tessa was dispatched to guide him to the other side. She almost succeeded but as per a deal John made with Azazel, the yellow-eyed demon possessed Tessa and used her power to revive Dean. Masquerading as the Trickster Loki, Gabriel killed three people at a college while positioning himself as the school janitor. Once Sam and Dean showed up to investigate the deaths, he began to manipulate them into fighting among themselves. Eventually catching on, Sam, Dean, and Bobby attack Gabriel, and Dean stabs him, believing him to be dead. However Gabriel was revealed to have survived, with Dean only stabbing an elaborate illusion.
Bent on both revenge and teaching Sam a lesson, Gabriel set up a mystery spot which the boys investigated. Once there, the boys were trapped in a time loop causing the day (which happened to be a Tuesday) to repeat infinitely. Every day, Dean would die and Sam was powerless to stop it from happening. Eventually Sam discovered that Gabriel was to blame for the time loop and confronted him, threatening him and convincing Gabriel to end the cycle. Supposedly he did so, resuming the flow of time and releasing the boys. However, on the first Wednesday after the time loop Dean was killed again, seemingly permanently. Sam spent the next 6 months hunting Gabriel, intent on either bringing Dean back or killing him. Sam eventually found Gabriel who revealed to him that Dean's numerous deaths were to teach him a "lesson", and that the brothers are each other's ultimate weakness. Gabriel was apparently trying to show Sam that nothing is gained from sacrificing themselves for one another, and that the "bad guys" would always use one brother against the other. Sam continued to beg for Gabriel to bring Dean back to life and reset time, and he reluctantly did so.
In 2008, Castiel was sent to rescue Dean from Hell. He led a siege against Hell's defenses, along with Uriel and several other angels. Castiel successfully saved Dean, but not in time to stop him from breaking the very first seal. On Earth, the angels tried to stop Lilith from bringing about the Rising of the Witnesses, but they failed, and another seal was broken. When two witches prepare to summon the demon Samhain - which will break yet another seal - Castiel and Uriel are sent to destroy the town to prevent Samhain's rise. The Winchesters, however, refuse to let them kill everyone in the town, and set out to stop Samhain's summoning themselves. Unfortunately, they fail to prevent the summoning, and though they defeat Samhain, the seal is already broken.
Fallen angel Anna Milton is on Earth, as she "cut" out her grace and fell, and is in psychiatric ward. She has no memory of being an angel but can hear angels speaking in her head on "angel radio". She escapes the psych ward after demons start coming after her. After much searching, Alastair, a demon who is accompanied by two demons, finds her. Castiel and Uriel arrive, and the opposing sides face off. Uriel easily dispatches both of Alastair's guards, while Castiel is overpowered and apprehended by Alastair. Anna regains her grace, and becomes a full-blown angel again. In consequence of her consuming her grace, intense light leaks out of her eyes, and envelopes the room, destroying Alastair's vessel.
The angels manage to save a seal - in this case the attempted killings of two reapers - by tricking Sam and Dean into investigating a town where people have stopped dying. In addition, they capture Alastair. Around this time, seven angels from Castiel's garrison are murdered, and Lilith is immediately suspected.
Castiel and Uriel have Dean, Alastair's former apprentice during his time in Hell, torture Alastair to learn how Lilith is killing the angels. Alastair, however, breaks free, beats up Dean, and almost exorcises Castiel when Sam appears and - after learning from Alastair that Lilith is not behind the deaths of the angels - kills Alastair with his blood-fueled powers. Castiel later discovers that his friend Uriel is the true culprit as well as an agent of Lucifer. Uriel tries to convince Castiel to help him free Lucifer, but Castiel refuses and fights his old friend. Though Uriel gets the upperhand, Anna appears and stabs him with an angel blade, killing the traitor.
Some time after this, Castiel learns something important and tries to warn Dean, but is captured by the other angels and taken back to Heaven, where he is tortured and brainwashed into obedience. It's later revealed by Zachariah, a higher ranking angel and Castiel's direct superior, that senior management intends on allowing the 66 Seals to break, in order to bring about the Apocalypse. Sam and Dean are Lucifer and Michael's true Vessels, and would be used by the archangels during the fight. The angels believe that the Apocalypse is God's plan, and will cause everlasting paradise on Earth. It's also revealed that God has left Heaven, leaving the archangels in charge to do whatever they wish.
As planned, Lilith is killed (the last seal) by Sam, and Lucifer is freed. But Dean says no to Michael, which impairs "the final charge", making Lucifer unstoppable for the remainder of season 5. Throughout the season, Zachariah tries repeatedly to get Dean to say "yes", but Dean continues to refuse and eventually kills Zachariah himself. Anna Milton attempts to stop the Apocalypse on her own by going back in time and killing John and Mary Winchester to prevent Sam's birth. She fails, however, and is killed by Michael. Gabriel resurfaces and tries to help the Winchesters kill Lucifer, but is killed himself. Throughout the season, Castiel, now a fallen angel with limited power works with the Winchesters to stop the Apocalypse.
Finally in Swan Song, Michael - in the vessel of Adam - confronts Lucifer, archangel to archangel. Dean interrupts the fight, along with Bobby and Castiel, and manages to distract the archangels long enough to reach Sam, who is serving as Lucifer's vessel. Sam briefly regains control of his body during the fight and uses his moment of clarity to throw himself/Lucifer and Adam/Michael into Lucifer's Cage, ending the Apocalypse. Castiel, though killed by Lucifer during the final confrontation, is resurrected by God again as a Seraph and he resurrects Bobby, heals Dean and heads back to Heaven to restore order as the new leader.
In the aftermath of Michael's imprisonment and God's abandonment of Heaven, the angels fall into disarray. They don't know what to do or who to take orders from. Castiel, who had rebelled against Heaven in order to help the Winchesters, returns to Heaven and starts preaching the idea of Free Will to his fellow angels. However, many of the angels can't even grasp the concept. The remaining archangel Raphael confronts Castiel and demands that he kneel and repent for his rebellion. Raphael also plans to release Michael and Lucifer from the Cage, thus restarting the Apocalypse. When Castiel refuses to go along with this, Raphael threatens to destroy him and his followers unless they submit.
Castiel reluctantly makes a pact with the new King of Hell Crowley. Crowley and Castiel go to Hell, which Crowley personally re-designed, and there they plot to open Purgatory and absorb the souls of all the deceased monsters inside. Crowley gives Castiel 50,000 souls, which he uses to initiate a war against Raphael. Castiel also pulls Sam's body out of Lucifer's Cage, but is unaware that he was unable to rescue his soul as well. Despite gaining control of Heaven's Weapons, which the angel Balthazar had stolen from the heavenly vault, Castiel's war goes badly, and he becomes more and more desperate to find Purgatory. When the Winchesters discover what he's been doing, they confront him, and he tries to convince them that he has no other choice but to follow through with his plan. When the brothers refuse to back down, Castiel breaks Sam's 'wall', a barrier put in place by Death between his consciousness and his tormented soul, allowing his horrific memories of Hell to flood his mind and incapacitate him.
Later, Castiel goes back on his deal with Crowley, and after opening Purgatory successfully, takes in all of Purgatory's souls. Unknown to him, he also absorbs the Leviathans. Castiel, utilizing/channeling the souls power (known among fans as "Godstiel"), obliterates Raphael.
Castiel then goes to Heaven, and smites every surviving angel who ever helped Raphael. He informs the remaining angels that he is their father now, and that they must be obedient children or suffer the consequences. He then returns to Earth to begin destroying everything he perceives to be evil. Eventually, realizing the error of his ways, he goes to the Winchesters and Bobby for help. He says that if he were strong enough, he'd "fix" Sam. With their aid, he manages to send the souls back to Purgatory, but the Leviathan remain.
The Leviathan take over his vessel and him, and beat up Dean and Bobby. Then, they leave, and disperse into the water supply, leaving Castiel and his vessel seemingly destroyed. However, he is resurrected yet again, and Castiel awakens without any memory of who or what he is. He goes by the name "Emanuel" and marries the human woman who found him. Dean and Meg are able to remind him of who and what he is, and he, upon re-gaining his memory, tries to save Sam - who's been driven to near insanity by hallucinations of Lucifer - but realizes that the 'wall' has completely crumbled. He then shifts Sam's "pain" (condition) unto himself. While this cures Sam, Castiel is forced to stay at the mental hospital under the protection of Meg.
Meanwhile, back in Heaven, the angels Hester and Inias have taken command of the few angels remaining. When Dean and Sam break the "shell" of The Word of God, a ting is emitted, one that only angels can hear. When Castiel hears it, he awakens, only differently; more timid, calm, and refused to fight. At the same time, Hester and Inias go to Earth to retrieve both the Word and the Prophet Kevin Tran - who has been chosen to be the Keeper of the Word. However, the Winchesters need Kevin to the stop the Leviathan and a conflict ensues between the Winchesters and the angels. The dispute ends when Meg steps in and kills Hester, after which Inias takes charge and agrees to stand down.
Castiel provides Dean and Sam with his blood for the weapon then goes off on his own. When looking for flowers and fruit (flowers come first obviously) he can't hear anything from his garrison. After a long silence, he goes to the home of the Prophet Kevin Tran and finds the entire Garrison dead or in hiding - victims of the Leviathan.
Upon Dean's request, Castiel teleports himself and Dean to the Impala, and he ultimately decides to take part in the fight. Together, the two of them sneak into SucroCorp's lab, where they find Dick Roman and another Leviathan Royce testing a batch of poisoned creamers. Cass douses Royce with Borax as Dean beheads him. He then restrains Dick Roman long enough for Dean to stab him with the Bone Of Righteous Mortal Washed In the Three Bloods of Fallen, killing the Leviathan leader, though he and Dean are transported to Purgatory in the process.
A repercussion of stabbing Dick with the Anti-Leviathan weapon, both Dean and Castiel are pulled into Purgatory. Heaven's angels are terribly reduced, leaving an unknown amount of angels. An observer and admirer of Castiel, Samandriel, takes a vessel, and contributes in the auctioning of one of the Words of God.
A new group of angels, led by Naomi, revealed they rescued Castiel from Purgatory. They are keen on keeping track of developments involving the tablets containing the Words of God.
When the angel Samandriel is captured and tortured, he reveals there is an angel tablet to the demon Crowley. Naomi then orders Castiel to kill Samandriel. Castiel, without a choice and without remembering her orders, stabs him with an angel blade, killing him, after Sam, Dean, and himself rescued him from Crowley's demons. While rescuing him and hearing Samandriel being broken, Castiel remembers Naomi torturing him in a similar manner. Naomi later sends Castiel to find the Angel Tablet which is located in one of Lucifer's Crypts. With the help of Meg and the Winchesters, Castiel locates the tablet, but on Naomi's orders, tries to kill Dean. The tablet sets Castiel free and he flees with it to protect it from everyone. The angels are shown to have no luck locating him. Crowley offers a deal between himself and Naomi who he knows, but she disappears before he can even finish.
Naomi later captures Castiel and reveals that he has taken part in many atrocities throughout human history but has had them erased from his mind as he never truly follows his orders. Naomi is forced to flee when Crowley arrives with a gun capable of killing angels as the bullets are made from a melted-down angel blade. Crowley is working with the angel Ion who is disillusioned with Heaven and the angels due to what they are being forced to do. Crowley gets the angel tablet from Castiel, but after he leaves, Castiel manages to kill Ion and escape. At the same time, the Winchesters find Metatron who explains that when God left, the archangels decided to take over everything, a plan that Naomi is apparently still following. Metatron is convinced to help and rescues Kevin Tran from Crowley. Castiel later comes to the Winchesters for help, severely wounded and badly weakened by Crowley.
Metatron eventually comes to Castiel for help after learning the state of Heaven and about him from Kevin Tran. Heaven is in a state of civil war with many factions warring for control. While Naomi had been believed to be the new ruler of Heaven, she is merely one of the many faction leaders. Metatron has decided to seal up Heaven to prevent the war from spilling onto Earth and to force the angels to sit down and hash out their problems. Castiel and Metatron start the trials to seal up Heaven by killing a Nephilim, the child of an angel and a human.Metatron later revealed to Castiel that the second trial is to retrieve the bow of a cupid. Before they could complete the trial, however, Naomi's agents located the pair. Metatron was captured by Naomi and a host of angels. Castiel pursued the second trial and managed to convince a cupid to give up her bow, thus completing the second trial. Meanwhile, Naomi attempted to uncover Metatron's knowledge of the tablets, but discovered that Metatron was actually planning revenge to all the angels in heaven. The trials Metatron revealed to Castiel were not in fact the trials on the angel tablet to close heaven but a spell to expel all angels from heaven. Naomi rushes to warn Castiel and Dean. The revelation causes Naomi to regret her actions and those of all angels, telling Castiel and Dean that angels are supposed to protect humanity and lost sight of that somewhere along the way.
Trying to discover the truth for himself, Castiel traveled to Heaven, only to find Naomi dead in her office. Metatron confirmed Naomi's revelations and took Castiel's grace, completing the third part of the spell. This turned Castiel human, and caused all angels to fall down to Earth.
All of the angels have fallen from Heaven in what most humans believe to be a "global meteor shower." Some have taken vessels, but most were still encircling the world looking for vessels. Most blame Castiel for what happened and began looking for him for revenge. Desperate to save Sam, Dean prayed to all angels for help, but only Ezekiel came to help while three come looking for Castiel's location. Dean killed one with an angel blade and banished the other two while Ezekiel took Sam as his vessel to heal both Sam and himself from their injuries. At the same time, an angel named Hael approached and ultimately kidnapped Castiel, planning to possess Castiel in order to become stronger and to fit in on Earth easier. Castiel managed to defeat Hael by crashing her car, but was forced to kill her when she threatened to broadcast to all angels where to look for him.
When Ezekiel was forced to reveal himself to save Sam from Abaddon's demons. His astral projection was similar to that of previous angels, although his wings were noticeably broken. Ezekiel later revealed a faction of angels led by Bartholomew, who is a protegee of Naomi, are hunting down Castiel for revenge and gaining power. Bartholomew is shown to be using an internet preacher with a worldwide following to spread the word to say "Yes" to angels if they come looking for a vessel, allowing him and his faction to gain bodies at a fast rate. He sends angels out to look for Castiel, but after one attacks him, Castiel uses tattoos to hide himself from the angels. Bartholomew then sends out rogue Reapers to look. Dean finds out Castiel thanks to Ezekiel and rescues him, killing two Reapers along the way, but Castiel is killed. Ezekiel resurrects Castiel and later tells Dean that Castiel must leave or he will have to, as if the angels find him, they will attack the Bunker and Sam, Dean, Castiel and Ezekiel will not be able to survive a full incursion. Even though Ezekiel is slowly healing Sam, if he leaves Sam, Sam will die. So Dean is forced to tell Castiel to leave.
Castiel later calls Dean on a case. They discover the angel Ephraim, who'd taken possession of a man who had become deeply religious, so much so that he drove his wife away. Blinded by religious fervor and a desire to serve God, the man let Ephraim into his body. Ephraim began a killing spree, using his abilities of pain-detection to track down the gravely injured or emotionally despondent and using his healing abilities to heal them or his special smiting abilities to give them a quick and virtually painless death, ending their misery. Castiel was forced to kill him.
Metatron returned to Earth to speak to the angel in Sam's body, revealing that he knows the angel possessing Sam is not Ezekiel, but Gadreel. Metatron tells Gadreel he plans to rebuild Heaven and restore it to its former glory. He invites Gadreel to be his second in command, and restore his besmirched name. Gadreel agrees, but Metatron demands a demonstration of his loyalty. He wants those who could oppose him killed, and gives Gadreel a piece of paper with the first target; Kevin Tran. While Castiel is being tortured by Malachi, he learns that Ezekiel was one of the angels who was killed during the angel's expulsion from Heaven. After he escapes, Cass passes this information onto Dean. Dean decides Ezekiel must be expelled and asks Kevin for a spell that will help him speak to a Sam, while repressing the angel. However Gadreel was aware of Dean's plan and knocks him out. Gadreel then finds Kevin in the main bunker room and despite Dean's intervention, he kills Kevin and leaves with the angel and demon tablets. At the same time, the factions led by Malachi and Bartholomew go to war for rule of Heaven, something that is bad as either ruling wouldn't be a good thing.
Gadreel discovers the pop idol Corey is actually possessed by the angel Thaddeus, who tortured him and another angel called Abner during their imprisonment in Heaven. Gadreel later kills him with an angel sword on the orders of Metatron. Metatron demanding test of loyalty, gives Gadreel's another target which turns out to be his friend Abner. The angel Abner possessed an abusive man and was now living a happy family life. Dean, Cass and Crowley later track down the Impala - and Gadreel who has killed Abner. Gadreel is quickly taken hostage and Crowley begins the painful process of accessing the angel's mind. He is able to access Gadreel's "programming" and makes the angel reveal his identity. Castiel is enraged, as he views Gadreel as responsible for everything from the absence of God to the Apocalypse. Crowley offers to possess Sam, and alert Sam to Gadreel's presence, so he can expel the angel. Dean agrees, and gets Castiel to remove Sam's anti-possession tattoo. Crowley then enters Sam's mind and convinces Sam that an angel is possessing him, but Gadreel finds them. A fight ensues but Sam is strong enough and expels Gadreel from his body. Crowley leaves voluntarily. Gadreel returns to the bar where Metatron is, and repossesses his original vessel.
Castiel later learns that a third faction has developed led by an angel named Rebecca. This faction, the Penitents coexist with humanity harmlessly, but are slaughtered by Bartholomew and his followers. Castiel is captured by members of Bartholomew's faction who take him to Bartholomew who wants to ally himself with Castiel now, believing that with Castiel on his side, he can unite all of the angels under his rule. Bartholomew's faction is tracking Metatron who has appeared on Earth at least three times since the Fall, but they are also ruthless, killing any angel that doesn't join them, even harmless factions like the Penitents. Castiel doesn't agree with Bartholomew's methods and after Castiel is forced to kill Bartholomew in self-defense, many of Bartholomew's followers decide to follow Castiel in a less violent way where angels don't kill other angels anymore.
Metatron has Gadreel start killing angels that won't follow him and after an unsuccessful attempt by Sam and Dean to trap Metatron who has attained God-like powers from the angel tablet, Castiel amasses an army against Metatron. Both sides work on uniting all the angels against each other, with Gadreel killing Malachi and anyone else who they approach who refuses to join. As Castiel's army is larger than his, Metatron begins using suicide bombers brainwashed to believe they are acting in the name of Castiel to unite all of the angels under himself, succeeding in getting Castiel's faction to abandon him. However, this turns Gadreel against him. While Dean and Sam confront Metatron on Earth, Gadreel and Castiel sneak into Heaven to shatter the angel tablet and Metatron's connection to it to return him to a regular angel. After being captured, Gadreel sacrifices himself to make Hannah see reason and Castiel manages to find and shatter the tablet, but not before Metatron mortally wounds Dean. Metatron confronts Castiel, not knowing he is secretly broadcasting the entire conversation over "angel radio" and reveals his low opinion of humanity and the angels, causing everyone to turn against him. Metatron is captured and locked in Heaven's dungeon. While the other angels once more turn to Castiel for leadership, all he wants to be is a normal angel again and faces the prospect of dying when his grace burns out unless he replenishes it.
Following Metatron's defeat and imprisonment, a weakening Castiel returns to Earth while the angels form their own government. According to Metatron, under Hannah's leadership, Heaven is being run better than it has been since God left. Six weeks after Metatron's defeat, Hannah approaches Castiel for help in finding rogue angels and bringing them home. Two of these angels are Daniel and Adina who wish to stay on Earth and live out human lives. Castiel is forced to kill Daniel to save Hannah, but abandons the mission to aid Sam in his efforts to cure Dean who is now a demon. Their trip is interrupted by Adina who attacks the severely-weakened Castiel and attempts to kill him and Hannah. Crowley saves them, taking Adina's grace and killing her. Crowley restores Castiel's health and power with Adina's grace in exchange for him helping to stop Dean for good. After helping to cure Dean, Castiel and Hannah continue on their mission of finding angels to return to Heaven, but an encounter with her vessel's husband causes Hannah to return to Heaven permanently so that Caroline can return to her normal life.
After Dean slaughters a group of humans under the influence of the Mark of Cain, Castiel enlists Ingrid's help to bring Metatron to Earth so he can be questioned in hopes of a cure. Metatron claims knowledge of the cure, but demands that he gets many things in exchange, leading to Dean torturing and nearly killing him for information. Castiel and Sam break in in time to stop him and Castiel returns Metatron to Heaven rather than continue to risk his life. Following this, Castiel takes up an effort to find a cure for Dean, mainly by locating Cain, the previous wielder of the Mark. Castiel's search for Cain leads him to find out that Cain is slaughtering his descendants and Castiel teams up with the Winchesters and Crowley to bring an end to the Father of Murder. Though Cain is so powerful that not even Castiel's holy abilities can harm him, he succeeds in helping draw Cain into a trap, allowing Dean to finally kill him.
Following Dean's condition worsening, Sam and Castiel decide to force Metatron to help, but Hannah refuses to let Castiel into Heaven to get him, knowing Metatron will want his freedom in exchange which can't happen. Teaming up with Bobby Singer, they raid Heaven and break Metatron out. Castiel removes Metatron's grace, rendering him human and he admits that he actually doesn't know of a cure which Castiel can tell is the truth. To stop Sam shooting him, Metatron confesses that there is some of Castiel's grace left and offers to lead him to it. Metatron leads Castiel to his grace in a library, fighting an angry Cupid along the way. However, while they search the books for the grace, Metatron reveals his true plan is to retrieve the grace and the demon tablet and escape. He stuns Castiel and retrieves the tablet, but flees when he sees that Castiel has found his grace. Castiel takes in his grace, regaining his full power and status as a Seraphim, though his wings remain broken. However, he and Sam keep Metatron's escape with the demon tablet from Dean despite worrying about what Metatron can do with the tablet and his freedom.
After getting a call that his vessel's daughter is in the hospital, Castiel discovers that some of the Grigori, long thought wiped-out, have survived and are now feeding off of human souls. Castiel and the Winchesters come into conflict with the Grigori Tamiel who had kidnapped Jimmy Novak's wife, Amelia and had been feeding on her soul for two years. Castiel is able to rescue Amelia, but she is beyond his ability to heal and she sacrifices herself to save her daughter Claire. In the fight that follows, Claire kills Tamiel with his own angel sword, but there are other Grigori out there.
Following the encounter with Tamiel, Castiel continues his efforts to save Dean from the Mark of Cain. He acts as a guard for Charlie Bradbury and Rowena as they attempt to translate the Book of the Damned to use it to save Dean. Charlie eventually escapes to get away from Rowena, but is killed by Eldon Frankenstein. Following her death, Dean goes on a revenge rampage and Castiel attempts and fails to stop him. After decoding the Book of the Damned, Castiel calls on Crowley to help gather the necessary ingredients and watches as Rowena successfully removes the Mark of Cain from Dean's arm. However, unknown to them, the Mark's removal unleashes Amara, a primordial evil that took God and his Archangels to beat. After the Mark is removed, Rowena escapes and puts Castiel under a spell that makes him attack Crowley.
Under the influence of Rowena's spell, Castiel attacks Crowley who escapes by smoking out. Still under the effects of the spell, Castiel travels to the portal to Heaven for help only to find it gone. Learning of Amara's release, Castiel prays to his siblings for help and Efram and Jonah respond and lead him to a warehouse, explaining that the angels moved the portal after Metatron's escape. However, they have no intention of taking Castiel to Heaven and instead chain him up. They torture him repeatedly for information on Metatron, refusing to believe Castiel when he correctly informs them that Metatron tricked him and escaped.
Finally, Hannah arrives and puts a stop to the torture, but is unable to heal Castiel or break Rowena's spell. Hannah informs Castiel that the alarms in Heaven have gone off for an unknown reason and Castiel informs her of the escape of the Darkness. Hannah asks him about the Winchesters location and Castiel realizes the whole thing is a trick in hopes of getting information out of him. Hannah explains that since he helped Metatron escape, most of the angels hate Castiel now and she is working under orders from the new democracy in charge of Heaven to find out what he knows. When Castiel refuses to cooperate, Efram and Jonah attempt to use a device similar to the one Crowley used to hack Samandriel and Gadreel to hack Castiel's brain. As Hannah distracts the other angels with her objections, Castiel falls back under the influence of Rowena's spell and breaks free, killing Jonah in self-defense. An angry Efram murders Hannah for her interference before Castiel kills him too. Castiel later travels to the Bunker to enlist Sam and Dean's help.
The angels later meet on Earth, aware that Amara plans to take over Heaven. They figure that their leaders won't do anything, so they have to spread the word that they unite and move against the Darkness. When three angels call on Amara to surrender they warn that each and every angel in the sky is ready to smite her with one blow. After Amara kills the angels a blast of heavenly light smashes down. To check if the Darkness survived, the angels sent Ambriel to Earth.
Later, the angels are approached by Lucifer possessing Castiel's vessel. He promises them victory in the war if they accept his help. Amara, fully recovered, strikes Heaven with a powerful wave that knocks every angel off their feet. Amara also kidnaps Lucifer for torture.
Lucifer returns to Heaven weeks later, fully healed and intent on gaining their help. The angels all gather around him armed with angel blades, showing hostility, so Lucifer switches places with Castiel, in hopes that they would listen to him. The angels disregard Castiel also, but Castiel insists that they all have their part in this war, and for Castiel, it's being Lucifer's vessel. Castiel encourages them to help God fight the Darkness, if they so choose, which they finally agree to.
During the battle, Rowena and the witches launch the first attack, weakening Amara's vessel. Once complete, the angels create another combined smite and launch it against Amara, thus weakening her further. Their attack is followed up by the demons' own assault.
However, the battle ends in Amara's favor with God left dying on the floor and Lucifer expelled from his vessel. Convinced the world is going to end, the angels lock up Heaven and choose not to grant any further assistance, as Castiel soon finds out.
Fortunately, the Darkness reconciles with God and heals him saving both the world and Heaven from destruction.
The angels are mostly vacant in the first half of season 12. We learn that in 1901, a group of angels, including Castiel, went to a house to destroy a Nephilim. The leader of the angels, Ishim, was lying to them. The alleged 'Nephilim' was a little human girl. The mother of the girl, Lily Sunder, hunted down that group of angels, killing several before the truth came out and Castiel finished it for her. Other than that, the angels have been heard over angel radio after the archangel, Lucifer, got Kelly Kline pregnant.
The main goal of the angels is to get rid of the unborn child, and two angels have already attempted to execute Kelly, only to be stopped by Dagon. The angel Joshua has also decided to take charge of Heaven during the course of this mission, and according to the angel Kelvin, if Castiel helps, he will be forgiven by their siblings and accepted back into Heaven.
The mission led by Joshua is a failure and all angels who partook in it, aside from Castiel, are killed by Dagon.
Three angels - Conrad, Lily and Miriam - set out to capture Lucifer's newly born son Jack. The three are hindered in their quest by Dean and Sam Winchester, with Conrad and Lily getting banished and Miriam killed.
In The Big Empty, Castiel learned from the Cosmic Entity that after death the angels will be sent to The Empty as he was shocked to learn that every angel who ever died was there. Castiel also became the first angel to ever escape after he annoyed the entity by staying awake and demanding his release.
It was mentioned in War of the Worlds by an angel named Duma that after the Fall the number of angels has drastically decreased and they are close to extinction. They need Jack to use his powers to replenish their numbers as God has left.
During Devil's Bargain, Lucifer claimed that since he was around to witness the creation of every angel by God, he not only knows how to build an angel, but also how to restore a fallen angel's wings. After offering to create new angels and restore the wings of the current angels, Lucifer was made the undisputed ruler of heaven.
|“||Perfect. Like a marble statue. Cold...no choice...only obedience.||”|
As warriors of God and agents of fate, angels are extremely powerful beings in the supernatural world. They are superhuman beings superior to mortals in both power and intelligence. Their true spiritual forms or visages prove overwhelming to most mortals; however, some 'special' people can view their true visages without suffering lasting effects; demons also can't look at them in their true form without damaging their hosts. A key example of this: Pamela Barnes used her psychic powers to see the true form of Castiel and her eyes burned out as a result of her actions. Although not physically seen as they have no physical presence or being of their own, an angel's presence has been seen or manifested on earth as a brilliant white light (or a bluish luminous smoke if they have no wings). Respectively, angels in their true form do have large swan-like wings on their backs which can range in number anywhere from two to six. In "Lazarus Rising", Castiel displays his wings through his shadow.
When angels die after being stabbed by an angel blade, shadows of their wings are burned into the surface on which they are lying, as seen in the opening of "On The Head Of A Pin". Also, in "Dark Side of the Moon", Zachariah tells Dean and Sam that in his true form he has six wings and four faces, one of them being that of a lion. He also explains that the reason that humans can't see an angel's wings while in a vessel is because their senses are limited or too dull to perceive them. In "Sacrifice", an angel's fiery wings were physically seen for the first time.
After Metatron expelled the angels from Heaven, most of them lost their wings as a result. When Gadreel displays his wings to three demons, they are shown to be damaged. Since the spell is irreversible, most angels known have broken wings.
An angel's true form also appear to be very large in height, as evidenced when Castiel states that his true form is "approximately the size of your Chrysler building". However, according to Castiel and Metatron, angels may actually just be waves and lights of pure energy, and how this fits in with their true form, is unknown. Lucifer's true form was so intense it obliterated an entire convent, and as Lucifer rose from the cage, Sam and Dean were able to see an immense white light flash from the perspective of an airplane overhead.
Anna Milton describes angels as being emotionless, not permitted to have feelings or free will. She even goes on to compare angels to marble statues, in the sense that they're both cold, loyal and have no choice. However, Castiel has shown loyalty to the Winchester brothers and regret when he was ordered to kill Anna. Gabriel has shown anger and love towards his brothers, Michael and Lucifer, in "Changing Channels". In "Dark Side of the Moon", Zachariah shows clear signs of anger, pettiness and arrogance. In "Hammer of the Gods", Lucifer is saddened and sheds tears over having killed Gabriel. In "My Bloody Valentine", Cupids are shown to be very cheerful, emotional, and love giving hugs as opposed to handshakes. To be more accurate, angels are very much capable of both human emotions and flaws of character, rather the majority of them choose not to show or admit to having emotions as emotions are considered doorways to doubt as well as a weakness, and they are not permitted to display emotions for the same reasons.
Angels consider themselves family to one another, referring to each other as brothers and sisters. The angels also refer to God as their father. Even though God is their 'father', all angels except the archangels and Metatron and Gadreel have never actually seen God or his true face. According to Anna Milton, only four angels have actually met God and seen his true face. This number later proves to be false, and six angels are said to have met him.
Due to their age and power, many angels look down upon humans and see them as inferior. Lucifer rebelled because God loved humans, a flawed and arrogant species, more than angels. Some angels continued to hold resentment to this many thousands of years later, as evidenced by Uriel and his followers. Despite this, angels guard the souls in Heaven, and as shown in "What's Up, Tiger Mommy?" refuse to pawn them, even for the Word of God. Feelings of resentment aren't universal, as some angels such as Samandriel, Joshua and Inias are much more civil with humans, while others, such as Anna, Gabriel, and (eventually) Metatron, consider them better than angels because, despite their inherent flaws, a lot of them strive to do good.
While outside of a vessel, angels either appear to humans as a brilliant white light, or a bluish luminous smoke (depending if they have their wings or not). While within a vessel, angels only have their powers thanks to their grace. Without it, they are just like humans and become subject to the process of life and death, as stated by Metatron when he removed Castiel's grace. Anna stated that removing it voluntarily is very painful, comparable to a human removing a kidney.
Unlike humans, because they lack physical bodies, angels do not reproduce while in their true forms, as reproduction is a purely physical process. Anna tells Dean that one of the things that humans have that angels don't is sex. Dean even describes angels as "Ken dolls" meaning that the only way for them to have sex is to possess a human. Only while within a human vessel can angels mate with humans, resulting in Nephilim. It has not been seen if they can mate with other angels in human vessels or what the resulting offspring would be.
The episode "Torn and Frayed" has shown that after a sufficient amount of torture, angels can be broken and their "operating system" be accessed. Angels have secret knowledge pre-programmed into their being that they aren't even aware of. The screams an angel makes when tortured sends out ripples that cause strange occurrences, such a glass bottle shattering or a bush lighting on fire.
When angels fall from Heaven, they appear like meteors to the human eye. Anna explained that when she told her story to the Winchesters, and it was demonstrated when all the angels fell from Heaven, due to Metatron's spell. However, being expelled from Heaven due to this spell, doesn't deny angels their Heavenly powers, although it burns off their wings, which denies them teleportation, and forces them to manifest as bluish luminous smoke.
Similar to demons, Angels possessing a vessel can change the eye colour of their vessel; in the case of Angels, they can cause the vessel's eyes to turn bright blue. Unlike demons however, Angels rarely do this so as not to draw attention to themselves and only do so in stressful or combat situations. Among Angels, the Archangel Lucifer is unique as his vessel's eyes glow red instead of blue.
Most angels, when possessing vessels, often dress in suits or formal wear. There are a few exceptions. Sometimes, if the vessel they possess did not originally wear something formal, the angel would change. An example of this being Raphael
All angels have names of Hebrew origin. Many angels also have names ending in "el". Examples include: Castiel, Michael, Raphael, Gabriel, Hael, Gadreel, Uriel, Rachel, Nithael, Jophiel, Ambriel, Nathaniel, Mirabel, Asariel, Muriel, and Samandriel.
Types of Angels
The Archangels are the four eldest and most powerful of God's angels, they were the only ones to have seen his face, with the exception of Metatron and Gadreel. They are far more powerful than any other angelic rank, being imbued with near unimaginable and immeasurable power and authority. Furthermore, they are some of the strongest beings in all of Creation. The four archangels were created in this specific order: Michael,Lucifer, Raphael, and Gabriel. The archangels Michael, Lucifer and Gabriel (Michael imprisoned in Lucifer's Cage; Lucifer with his grace partially extracted; Gabriel imprisoned by Prince of Hell Asmodeus in Hell) are alive. Castiel killed Raphael when the angel was imbued with the power of 40 millions souls from Purgatory.
The Grigori were a squad of elite angels who were sent to watch over and protect humanity, but turned bad. They were believed to have been wiped out, but few of them survived. Some of these Angels survived and began preying on humanity, kidnapping humans, trapping them in dream states of their perfect Heaven and feeding off of their souls. These angels had Angel Swords instead of Angel Blades, with each of their names written on them.
Seraphim are a whole other type of angelic being, who are stronger and more powerful than regular angels and Cupids. Like the archangels and the grigori, Seraphs powers are imbued within them, and if they fall from or become cut off from Heaven, they don't lose any of their powers. Their current role on Heaven is unknown but one was sent over to watch, observe and learn about humanity.
Rit Zien are the medics of Heaven. Their name means "Hands of Mercy" in Enochian. On the battlefields of Heaven, their job was to heal Angels who had been injured. If the injury was too severe for them to heal, then they would give them a quick, painless death, by smiting them. Rit Zien have a unique way of smiting other, which consists of them placing their hand near the victims face, shining a pink light from their palm, and causing them to quickly, and painlessly implode into a pink liquid made of their own essence.
These are normal, common angels. In comparison to most other supernatural entities, angels are among the most powerful and feared beings in the series. Though not nearly as powerful as seraphs, archangels, or other higher supernatural beings, angels easily outclass black-eyed demons, lesser monsters, and other supernatural creatures, with the exception of the highest ranking demons. Angels possess a great number of formidable abilities that make them a dominant presence in the supernatural world. They are grouped into garrisons and are commanded by a garrison leader.
Reapers are angels that serve Death. They assist in maintaining The Natural Order and are completely neutral, aligned with neither Heaven nor Hell nor Purgatory. According to Castiel, Reapers will sometimes appear in mass gatherings in prelude to a great disaster such as the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in Pompeii. Within the veil, Reapers can manifest and take human form but they are also able to possess humans.
Cherubs, also called Cupids, are ordered as third class angels, and thus placed at the very bottom of the Celestial chain of command, Heaven's hierarchy. They follow Heaven's orders, particularly serving Michael. In their occupation, they are responsible for manipulating affection in certain, special bloodlines. John and Mary Winchester, for example, were "matched" by a Cupid on Heaven's orders so that Dean and Sam could be born.
Intelligence Angels are the intelligence division of Heaven. Their work is to gather information, fix the angels who cause problems, and occasionally, take control of the their minds if needed. These angels were under the leadership of Naomi before the fall.
A fallen angel is an angel who was expelled from Heaven. They are not a class of angel and therefore they look no different than normal angels. An angel who has fallen may or may not retain all of his or her abilities, depending on the rank of the angel. For example, a fallen Seraph, like Castiel, retains all of his powers, whereas a standard angel would lose a few of his or her powers, such as smiting and healing. A fallen angel's blood can be used in the Leviathan killing weapon. Known banished angels include Lucifer, Zachariah, Castiel and the Grigori.
Nephilim are beings that consist of a mixture between a human soul and angelic grace. They are normally created when an angel and a human reproduce together. Nephilim are considered as one of the most dangerous beings in Creation and it is strictly forbidden to produce one. The only known Nephilim are Jane and Jack so far. They are shown to be extremely powerful with Jack being described as possessing "unimaginable power." Even from the womb he demonstrates powers such as healing and resurrection and through a partial possession, granted an angel the power to effortlessly incinerate a Prince of Hell, one of the most powerful demons to ever live.
Powers and Abilities
As warriors of God and agents of Fate, Angels are powerful beings in the supernatural world, possessing a wide range of abilities that vary from Angel to Angel depending on the class of the Angel. Angel's get their power from their grace and wings. Their grace supplies them with a certain amount of enochian magic and the condition of wings affect their overall strength and abilities.
Common powers granted to all angels with varying levels of effectiveness.
- Angelic Possession - Similar to demons, angels require a vessel while on Earth. However, they must have the vessel's permission before they can take control. Gadreel states that even once they are possessed, the vessel can expel the angel at any one but this presumably does not apply for all angels. Angels can only continue to possess humans of a specific bloodline otherwise their vessels will be unable to contain the angel and explode. This goes even more so for archangels as any vessel they possess that is not their true vessel will begin to deteriorate.
- Astral Projection - Angels can project shadowy forms of their wings onto surfaces at will. If one is killed by Angel Blades, its wings are burned onto the surface on which they died.
- Dream Walking - Angels can appear in people's dreams, they usually use this to communicate, when they can't find the person they're looking for, or want to talk privately. Lucifer was able to talk to his future vessels in their dreams.
- Electromagnetic Interference - Angels can manipulate electrical appliances. Castiel caused a dozen car alarms to stop by raising his hand.
- Flight - When angels are disembodied on Earth, they can fly anywhere they desire, usually in the form of bright smoke or pure light.
- Immortality - Angels do not age and cannot be killed by any ailment or mortal damage. Some angels have existed since the beginning of time.
- Invulnerability - To date, the only things capable of killing angels are Angel Blades, Holy Fire, a stronger angel, Death, God, Amara, and Leviathans. Archangels have even fewer weaknesses, as Michael wasn't killed by the Holy Fire, and they can only be killed conventionally by Archangel Blades, as an Angel Blade was unable to kill one. It has been stated that Death's Scythe can kill angels.
- Localization - Angels can localize any human who is not protected by enochian sigils.
- Limited Cosmic Awareness - All angels have a certain degree of knowledge and awareness of the universe. They have knowledge of demons, other angels, symbols, spells, artifacts, prophets, nephilim and more. They also generally have awareness of the level of power a being has.
- Protective Charm - An angel can protect an individual from most forms of physical damage. This degree of protection is linked to an angel's power. Castiel was able to prevent his vessel Jimmy Novak from burning his hand in a pot of boiling water as a sign of faith. Raphael was capable of making Crowley immune to Castiel's angelic killing touch.
- Pyrokinesis - Castiel displays the ability to burn through ropes holding him, even before he becomes a Seraph.
- Regeneration - If an angel's vessel is damaged, it will repair itself nearly instantly unless the wound was caused by angelic weaponry.
- Reality Warping - Angels are powerful enough to bend reality to their will. The more powerful the angel, the greater their capability. Even angels cut off from Heaven possess this power to some extent, as Castiel was able to carve the Enochian Sigil into Sam and Dean's ribs simply by touching their chests. As a regular angel, Castiel was able to remove the existence of a door to prevent Dean from escaping the "beautiful room". Other examples include breaking and repairing objects by pointing at them, removing a persons lungs with no incisions or assembling a board game by shaking the box. Archangels possess this power to the greatest extent, being able to conjure items and beings out of nothing. The most notable example is Gabriel, who lived on Earth by masquerading as a trickster named Loki.
- Sedation - Angels are able to render humans unconscious with a touch.
- Smiting - Perhaps an angel's most versatile and terrifying weapon, smiting (sometimes known as the Killing Touch) allows the angel to kill almost any demon, monster and even humans with a touch. Smiting is often exhibited when angels place their hands or palms on their adversaries' face, forehead, or mouth.
- Super Stamina - Angels never tire, and they do not require food, water, oxygen, or sleep to sustain themselves.
- Super Strength - Once possessing a vessel, angels use their power to dramatically increase the physical strength threshold of their hosts. Their strength varies from angel to angel, depending on their position within the celestial hierarchy; lesser angels (cherubs, rit zien and common angels) are still considerably powerful and are able to destroy most monsters and regular to mid-level demons, while seraphim, mid-level angels, can destroy all monsters and middle to high-level demons and virtually all lesser angels. Archangels are the most powerful class of angel of all, and one of the most powerful beings in Creation overall. As such, they easily outclass most other supernatural beings with God, Death, and Amara being their only confirmed superiors.
- Super Senses - All angels enhance their vessels senses to superhuman level. Angels possess an acute sense of smell. Their sense of smell is heightened to the point where they can identify people by smelling their body, bone or by their blood. Angels can also identify people by sniffing their genes and hormones as well. Because angels operate on a different plane of existence, they can see atoms and ions which are impossible for humans to see. Angels can hear a humans conversations miles away from them, and they are somehow able to locate any human on the planet and find them, but they can't locate people if they are protected by an Enochian charm or symbol. They also have an amazing sense of taste and are able to taste every molecule in a piece of food.
- Supernatural Perception - Angels are able to see almost all supernatural activity around them. Castiel could even see Reapers, which remain invisible except to those they are seeking. They can also see demons and Hellhounds. They can also sense any location, being, or object not protected by Enochian Symbols. This perception also extends to electromagnetic waves, and can decipher radio modulation signals, as Castiel described himself as a "multidimensional wavelength of celestial intent" in his true form and can thus perceive such energies.
- Telekinesis - Angels are able to telekinetically move beings and objects with their mind. They are able to use this power in a more aggressive manner like demons, but are often not depicted as doing so.
- Telepathy - Angels can read the minds of other angels with if they have the permission of the angel, higher angels such as Seraphs and Archangels can also read humans minds.
- Terrakinesis - Hael was able to carve the Grand Canyon with her powers.
- Temporal Awareness - Angels are capable of becoming aware whenever any alteration occur within the time-stream, allowing them to discern alternate timelines and the like. With this, angels like Castiel and a younger Uriel have identified other time-travelers in this manner.
- Voice Mimicry - Angels can perfectly mimic the voice of mortals.
Enhanced Powers - Accessed through connection to Heaven
To lower-level angels, certain powers are granted and maintained as long as they stay connected and loyal to Heaven and its rulers. Should they rebel and fall, those powers will wane and eventually vanish in time, and after that all of their powers will eventually vanish, rendering them mortal. However, higher-level angels such as Seraphim and archangels do not suffer from this condition.
- Enhanced Chronokinesis - Using the power of Heaven, angels are able to enhance their ability to travel through the time if they own the ability.
- Healing - Angels can cause the wounds, diseases, and toxins of another being to heal instantaneously.
- Resurrection - Angels can bring the dead back to life. However, they must know where all the pieces of the original body are, and they must have the soul of the subject. (The only known exception was when Castiel went to Lucifer's cage and only was able to raise Sam's body. His soul remained in the cage for over a year after). Castiel mentions that angels had to lay siege to Hell in order to retrieve Dean. However, if the soul is in Heaven, they apparently don't need to physically retrieve it as Castiel was able to resurrect Bobby Singer without retrieving his soul and Gadreel was able to do the same with Charlie Bradbury. Similar to the Human Body Restoration Ritual, angels can restore human bodies that have been destroyed. This was shown in Point of No Return when Zachariah resurrected Adam after Sam and Dean burned his remains.
- Smiting - Angels are able to destroy low to mid-level demons with a simple touch, however the demon has to be in a host body, as this doesn't work on their smoke form. However, they can grip a demon's smoke form and force it back into a host body to smite the demon. They can also use it to kill monsters and humans.
Abilities more commonly used by higher classes of angels such as the Seraphim, the Grigori and the archangels, although it is possible that these powers can also be used by low level angels. Mid-Tier powers are generally defined by powers that regular angels can access through heaven, where as angels with mid-tier powers do not need a connection to maintain that ability.
- Advanced Astral Projection - Higher angels astral form is more intense than lower angels.
- Advanced Biokinesis - Seraphs can stop people from turning into monsters. Higher level angels, such as Grigori Tamiel was able to render a man blind with just a touch.
- Advanced Chronokinesis – Higher angels can travel through time and are also able to transport people through time and bring them back without need an external source to power them.
- Advanced Dream Walking – The seraph Castiel was able to enter Fred Jones' dream and took Sam with him.
- Advanced Healing - While normal angels possess the ability to heal through their connection to Heaven, Seraphim up possess the power of their own-not needing aforementioned connection.
- Advanced Holy White Light - A particularly lethal power, some angels can unleash a highly concentrated blast of pure energy from their palms to destroy targets. The level of destruction can be controlled. Castiel was able to destroy a door when he was just a regular angel due to using Adina's grace. It is unknown that regular angels can use this power to smite supernatural beings unlike a seraph.
- Advanced Pyrokinesis - Powerful angels can generate and manipulate fire. Michael was proficient enough to kill another angel, Anna, by setting her ablaze from within. Interestingly, this didn't simply destroy the vessel, it also killed the angel, suggesting the fire had a supernatural element to it.
- Advanced Resurrection - Castiel as a Seraph was able to bring people back without needing connection to Heaven. The archangels also posses this.
- Advanced Smiting - Higher angels are able to smite beings with less effort and stronger than common angels. When higher angels, fell from the grace, they don't lose their ability to smite.
- Advanced Telepathy – By touching Rowena's forehead and concentrating, Castiel was able to see her memories.
- Hypnotism - As a seraph, Castiel was able to hypnotize a Secret Service agent by placing his hand on the man's forehead and giving him a command.
- Invisibility - Seraphs and Cherubs can become invisible to humans.
- Memory Manipulation - Powerful angels are able to erase, restore, alter, and fabricate memories in the minds of humans.
- Soul Reading/Channeling - Angels are able to physically interact with and read a human's soul by literally placing there hands inside a person's chest. However, the process is an painful experience for the human and could leave a person with physical and mental damage. They can also use the soul as a source of energy, but the pain is even greater for the human, and there is the risk of an explosion if the angel is not careful.
- Power Negation - Powerful angels such a seraph is capable of removing psychic powers from human beings permanently. However, the process is very painful and can leave the person mentally-damaged.
- Vessel Locking - Powerful angels can hold a demon in smoke form as if it was tangible and force the demon to return to its vessel. This was demonstrated by Castiel on Ellsworth.
Extremely powerful abilities, used only by Heaven's most powerful denizens, the archangels, but Metatron also shares a few of these powers.
- Advanced Terrakinesis - Archangels are able to create severe quakes.
- Conversion - Lucifer created the race of demons by twisting humans souls. It is unknown if other archangels have the capability to do so.
- Cosmic Awareness - All archangels and Metatron have a superhuman knowledge of the universe.
- Electrokinesis - Raphael could produce powerful arcs of electricity that appeared from his back.
- Highly Advanced Chronokinesis - Gabriel is able to put someone through a time loop for as long as he wants. Lucifer was able to transport someone into the past even when other angels had lost their powers. Even while warding was keeping Lucifer from entering the location himself, he was still able to get the person there.
- Highly Advanced Holy White Light - Archangels can blast nearly anything into oblivion with their white light. They can also control this power from completely obliterating something to only severely damaging it.
- Highly Advanced Reality Warping - Like some Angels and Seraphs, Archangels can alter reality, albeit to a greater degree. This ability is better demonstrated by the archangel Gabriel, who can create anything he wants out of thin air and can even put people in a TV universe.
- Conjuration - Gabriel is able create things out of thin air.
- Immunity - Michael has displayed a limited immunity to holy fire as it only hurts him rather than being fatal. Lucifer has displayed immunity to the Colt, however it did cause him temporary pain. He could also only be temporarily contained by a combination of warding and holy fire.
- Mental Manipulation - Metatron was able to implant Castiel's mind of every book, movie and TV show he had encountered with a touch when he was connected to Angel Tablet.
- Molecular Combustion - Archangels are able to render beings, including lower angels, down to their component molecules, causing them to explode. Both Raphael and Lucifer have displayed this power as did Castiel while powered by the souls of Purgatory.
- Power Augmentation - Lucifer's presence on Earth greatly enhanced the powers of Jesse Turner.
- Power Granting - Raphael was able to make Crowley immune from angelic smiting of a seraph.
- Precognition - Lucifer and Michael are able to see a glimpse of the future
- Shapeshifting - Lucifer was able to take multiple forms while not in a vessel, and while in vessel, Gabriel could also do this; When the angels fell in Season 9, they took the form of their grace. Gadreel was able to appear as Dean in Sam's head.
- Thermokinesis - Lucifer demonstrated the ability to freeze a pane of glass with his breath. His presence can cause an entire town to drop in temperature. Michael could do the opposite and caused a door handle to heat up intensely.
- Weather Manipulation - Raphael was able to generate storms that caused blackouts over the entire Eastern Seaboard. Lucifer unleashed incredibly fierce winds with his release and also causes thunder when summoned.
When angels act together, they are capable of feats not normally achievable by individuals.
- Capture - Angels disabled and abducted Alastair, who was powerful enough to overpower regular angels in an individual fight, after the demon's failed attempt to kill Reapers to break a seal.
- Combined Smiting - The angels of Heaven are able to combine their powers into an extremely powerful focused smite. This was shown when all the angel in Heaven smited Amara in a single unified blow and believed that not even she could survive an attack of such magnitude. Despite the attack proving not to be fatal to her, it did seem to somewhat weaken her and she did need magical assistance, from Rowena, to help her recover. Also, a result of the smiting caused Dean to become ill from smiting sickness, if he entered the area the smiting took place. The angels performed this attack again on Amara in God's war against her.
- Matchmaking - Certain types of angels in the Cherub class, e.g. Cupids, use a special sigil called a Cupid's Bow to bring couples together. Couples touched by a cupid have their hearts marked with an enochian sigil.
- Empathy - Angels in the Rit Zien class can sense another beings emotions and experiences related to pain.
- Unique Smiting - The Rit Zien have a unique method of smiting their victims by vaporizing them completely.
- Apporting - Angels were able to apport humans and monsters when they had wings.
- Teleportation - Angels are able to travel from one place to another, instantly, without occupying the space in between. However, they require their wings to teleport. They can also summon or send other beings. After the Fall, Angels lost the ability to teleport. However Lucifer and Grigori are still able to teleport.
- Chronokinesis - Angels can travel through time, in either direction. They can also take others with them, and just send others without going themselves. However, this is a very difficult ability to master with or without Heaven's assistance. More powerful angels such as Seraphim or Archangels are able to manipulate time with less effort, even when cut off from Heaven. Unfortunately after the Fall, angels lose their ability to travel through time. However Lucifer is still able to use this power as he still had intact wings.
WeaknessesWhen at full power, Angels are supremely powerful entities and have few weaknesses compared to other supernatural beings such as demons or monsters. However, there are many means that can be used against angelic beings.
Harming, Misleading, Banishing and Trapping
- Angel Banishing Spell - There is an exorcism chant to expel angels from their human vessels and send them back to heaven. The Whore of Babylon also knew an enochian chant which causes angels severe pain.
- Angel banishing sigil - This sigil is capable of banishing angels, even an archangel.
- Angel Depowering Sigil - A sigil capable of depowering an angel. Archangels are significantly weakened though not fully depowered by this.
- Angel Depowering Spell - It is capable of depowering nearby angels if certain trail along with the sigils.
- Angel Imprisoning Sigil - It could temporarily imprison them. When imprisoned, they can lose their powers temporarily. The sigil also block any sound from inside of the warded room to be heard by any angels in outside of the room.
- Angel Proofing Sigil - It prevents an angel from entering a room, or listening sounds coming from inside.
- Angel trap - It's another way to trap angels besides Holy Fire.
- Alcohol - A whole liquor store's supply of alcohol is sufficient enough to cause a normal angel, cut off from heaven's power, to become intoxicated.
- Angel Suppressing Sigil - It is used to give control of a vessel to the human the angel is inhabiting.
- Anti-Christ - A cambion, destined to be anti-christ, is said to be able to char the entire Host of Heaven, yet it is not tested. Only thing a cambion could do so far was turning a cutt-off angel from heaven into a toy figure.
- Angel Ward - Angel wards are enochian-based symbols that prevent the entry of an angel from a certain location.
- Brain Penetration - One of Crowley's demons was able to block at least some of Samandriel's powers by placing large metal spikes into his brain. They can also break into the angel's "factory settings" through this method.
- Enochian sigil - When Enochian sigils are placed on human rib cages, they prevent any type of angel from detecting and finding them. They can also be used to prevent angels from entering a building, capable of weaken the angel and they can also prevent an angel from hearing a conversation of those in a warded room.
- Eve - A being older than the angels themselves, she can suppress their powers through her mere presence alone.
- Expelling Angels Spell - This spell banishes all angels from Heaven, causing them to fall from sky. The spell also burns the wings of angels and weakens them significantly.
- Grace Removal - An angel's grace is what supplies it with Enochian magic, and therefore if it is removed they will be rendered powerless and mortal. Grace can be removed by slitting their throat with an angel blade and drawing it out of their vessel and/or spirit. The grace can then be consumed by any angel or placed inside a vial.
- Hand of God - These items contain a portion of God's power and it can harm an archangel to a certain degree.
- Hexbag - Hexbags can used to prevent angels from detecting and finding someone.
- Holy Fire - Encased in a circle of flames created from Holy Oil, the angel is trapped. The trapped angel still can use some of their powers. Touching the flame will kill the vessel and the angel. However, it cannot kill Michael, being only able to banish him.
- Hyperbolic pulse generator - It is capable of exorcising an angel, including an archangel from their vessel.
- Lucifer's Cage - This cell can hold any angel without any internal means of escape.
- Magic - Castiel once stated that if the right spells were cast upon a book, reading it could potentially kill him. Rowena was able to restrain and curse Castiel. She was also able to paralyze Lucifer in a weakened state and banish him to the depths of the ocean.
- Magical Brass Knuckles carved with Enochian sigil's - These magical knuckles can weaken, hurt and prevent an angel to use their powers temporarily.
- Mark of Cain - The Mark is capable of corrupting even Archangels, as seen with Lucifer.
- Vessel Expulsion - A vessel possesses the ability to expel the angel possessing them if they so choose depending on their strength of will and willingness to be possessed.
- The Colt - The Colt can cause pain and temporarily knock down an archangel unconscious.
- Weapons of Heaven - Lot's Salt can dissolve an archangel's vessel, as it did to Raphael's. All of Heaven's weapons acting together can seriously wound, and might kill, Raphael.
- Weak Vessels - Having a weak vessel prevents an angel to use his full power.
- Angel Blades/Swords - Any angel with the exception of archangels can be killed by stabbing him or her with an angelic blade or sword in a vital area of their vessel.
- Death's Scythe - This weapon is capable of killing angels.
- Energy Focusing Sigil - This spell can kill any angel directly in the path of the exploding angel, atomizing any angels nearby and killing anything else while blowing the whole area up.
- Falling - Being banished by Metatron's spell or angel banishing sigil, is capable of injuring, even killing the angel.
- Higher Angels - Stronger Angels can overpower a weaker Angel. Archangels are capable of easily killing lower angels with their own power. Rit Zien are able to smite wounded angels.
- Higher Demons - The higher ranking demons are able to fight, overpower, harm, banish, possess and even kill lower level angels.
- Lance of Michael - This weapon is capable of poisoning and killing angels
- Leviathans - Leviathans can negate powers of lower angels and easily kill them.
- Naomi's torture implement - Naomi possesses an implement capable of causing harm to angels through torture, kill them.
- The First Blade - The First Blade can kill angels.
- Primordial Entities - Amara, God, and Death can kill any angel effortlessly.
- Michael (imprisoned in Lucifer's Cage)
- Lucifer (grace regenerating)
- Raphael (deceased)
- Gabriel (imprisoned by Asmodeus)
- Anna Milton (deceased)
- Gadreel (deceased)
- Ishim (deceased)
- Virgil (trapped in alternate world)
- Zachariah (deceased)
- Bartholomew (deceased)
- Esper (deceased)
- Ion (deceased)
- Naomi (deceased)
- Naomi's Intelligence Soldier
- Abner (deceased)
- Adina (formerly, deceased)
- Azrael (mentioned only, deceased)
- Balthazar (deceased)
- Bartholomew's Assistant (deceased)
- Benjamin (deceased)
- Benjamin (Castiel's Faction)
- Blonde Angel (deceased)
- Constantine (deceased)
- Daniel (deceased)
- Duma's Henchmen
- Efram (deceased)
- Elijah (deceased)
- Esther (deceased)
- Ezekiel (mentioned only, deceased)
- Ezra (deceased)
- Farmer Angel
- First Council Member
- Glee Club Angel (deceased)
- Hael (deceased)
- Hannah (deceased)
- Head Angel (deceased)
- Hester (deceased)
- Hozai (deceased)
- Isaac (mentioned only)
- Jonah (deceased)
- Joshua (deceased)
- Josiah (deceased)
- Kaia's Abductors (deceased)
- Kelly's Attackers (deceased)
- Kelvin (deceased)
- Kim Schortz Angel
- Malachi (deceased)
- Metatron (formerly, deceased)
- Mirabel (deceased)
- Miriam (deceased)
- Muriel (deceased)
- Nithael (deceased)
- Oren (deceased)
- Pharmacist Angel (deceased)
- Rachel (deceased)
- Rebecca (deceased)
- Samandriel (deceased)
- Second Council Member
- Shipyard Attackers (deceased)
- Sophia (mentioned only, deceased)
- Thaddeus (deceased)
- Theo (formerly, deceased)
- Third Council Member
- Tyrus (deceased)
- Uriel (deceased)
- Ajay (deceased)
- April Kelly (deceased)
- Bobby Singer's Reaper
- Billie (formerly)
- Maurice (deceased)
- Tessa (deceased)
- Unnamed Reaper
- Ephraim (deceased)
- Tamiel (deceased)
Alternate Reality Angels
- Angel Commander (deceased)
- Lucifer (The End)
- Lucifer (Apocalypse World) (mentioned only, deceased)
- Michael (Apocalypse World)
- Zachariah (Apocalypse World)
- Azazel (Anime Series) (formerly, turned demon)
Though they can revive humans from death, angels do not seem to have the power to resurrect other angels, although Raphael thought that the fallen archangel Lucifer might have brought Castiel back in an effort to bring the rebellious angel to his side. God, however, was able to revive angels, as he resurrected Castiel three separate times. Miriam has indicated that the Nephilim Jack, who has the power to do "almost anything", cannot resurrect an angel once they are "all the way dead." However Jack was able to telepathically call out to Castiel even in The Empty, a realm not even God has influence over.
Even though they didn't officially and properly appear until Season 4, Angels, along with Demons, are arguably the most recurring supernatural creatures in the series, appearing in a total of over 100 episodes so far.