Angel Blades are weapons carried by most angels. They are long, silver, triple-edged daggers (cross section of the blade would be a triangle) that can be used to kill angels, Nephilim, hellhounds, demons, reapers, and possibly other supernatural creatures. When an angel blade is used to kill an angel, intense light explodes from the vessel, leaving the body withered. This weapon is considerably powerful as it is one of the few weapons that can kill angels and reapers, making them one of the most powerful weapons in existence.
Despite Uriel's claim that only angels can kill other angels, other beings have been able to successfully use these blades against angels at times. Dean used one to kill Zachariah, but needed to trick him in order to get close enough to do it. Sam failed in the same task earlier with a different blade. Dean later tries to kill Raphael with one, but he caught the blade. After Castiel absorbed all the power of the souls of Purgatory, Sam tried to kill him with one, but it was to no avail because, as Castiel stated, he was "not an angel anymore." Dean was later able to kill an angel with one of these blades to save Gadreel, but did so by stabbing the angel through the back.
Even demons, such as Meg, have made use of these weapons. Meg used an angel blade to kill a pack of Crowley's hellhounds, and in a later episode, used one to kill the angel Hester to protect Castiel. Crowley somehow acquired one and used it to torture Samandriel, without killing him. He later threatens Castiel with it, but never gets to use it on him. In Torn and Frayed, it is shown for the first time that angel blades can, in fact, kill demons, when Sam kills two with one of these blades. In Goodbye Stranger, three demons were killed with angel blades, and Meg used an angel blade to stab Crowley in the arm, which caused him pain, but did not kill him. Meg was then killed by Crowley with an angel blade. Dean later stabbed Crowley through the hand with an angel blade, causing him great pain and pinning his hand to a wall. However, he was able to quickly free himself of the blade while Dean was away without even pulling it from the wall. It is also shown that the blades can kill Reapers in Taxi Driver, and that they can kill Nephilim in Clip Show.
An angel blade can be melted and the pieces can be fashioned into bullets which are just as fatal to angels. Crowley pioneered this method in The Great Escapist. He used it to great effect to kill or send angels, including Naomi, fleeing. Like a regular angel blade, fatality of the bullets depended on the manner of use. To create fatal damage, the bullets had to target vital organs. Bullets fired from a gun could also be reused as Castiel was able to kill Ion by manually shoving one of the bullets into his eye.
An angel blade could also remove an angel's grace as shown by Metatron using it to steal Castiel's grace by slicing open his throat, Castiel stealing Theo's grace and Crowley Adina's. In an ironic twist of fate, Castiel later uses it to remove Metatron's grace from him.
An angel sword is a sword version of the angel blade. It presumably has the same properties as an angel blade and is carried by the Grigori who have their names inscribed upon the hilt. After killing Tamiel, one of these fell into the hands of Claire Novak.
- Sam Winchester
- Dean Winchester
- Anna Milton
- Mary Winchester
- Raphael's Spy
- Rogue Angel
- Farmer Angel
- Pharmacist Angel
- Reaper (possessing April Kelly)
- Glee Club Angel
- Trucker Cupid
- Asa Fox
- Lily Sunder
- Season 4
- On The Head Of A Pin (First appearance)
- Season 5
- Season 6
- Season 7
- Season 8
- Season 9
- Season 10
- Season 11
- Season 12
- Despite initial claims that an angel can only be killed by another angel, it has been shown that anyone who wields an angel blade can kill one. It can be inferred that the statement meant that because only angels naturally have access to angel blades, that they are the only ones who can kill other angels.
- As Raphael defended himself when Dean attacked him with an angel blade, it is implied they can hurt or possibly kill archangels. Castiel also wielded one against Lucifer but was unable to land any hits with it. Seraphim however, can be killed and injured by angel blades, as shown with Castiel.
- Demons that are stabbed with the blade die with the same glow as when they are stabbed with the Demon-Killing Knife.
- It was revealed in I'm No Angel that when an angel dies after being stabbed with this blade, it causes all of their vessel's insides to be vaporized, presumably from their grace exploding.
- The official episode summary named the blade as Sword of Lucifer.
- While Dean has killed two angels and two Reapers with an angel blade, Sam has killed none in contrast though he has used an angel blade to kill demons.
- Mary Winchester is the first one in the Winchester family to use an angel blade she uses it in an attempt to kill Anna but does not succeed. She is later able to successfully use it to kill Ms. Watt.