Angel Blades are weapons carried by most angels. They are long, silver, triple-edged daggers (cross section of the blade would be a three pointed star) that can be used to kill angels, Nephilim, hellhounds, demons, reapers, and possibly other supernatural creatures. However angel blades are not capable of killing an archangel. When an angel blade is used to kill an angel, intense light explodes from the vessel, leaving the body withered. This weapon is considerably powerful as it is one of the few weapons that can kill angels and reapers, making them one of the most powerful weapons in existence.
Despite Uriel's claim that only angels can kill other angels, other beings have been able to successfully use these blades against angels at times. Dean used one to kill Zachariah, but needed to trick him in order to get close enough to do it. Sam failed in the same task earlier with a different blade. Dean later tries to kill Raphael with one, but he caught the blade. After Castiel absorbed all the power of the souls of Purgatory, Sam tried to kill him with one, but it was to no avail because, as Castiel stated, he was "not an angel anymore." Dean was later able to kill an angel with one of these blades to save Gadreel, but did so by stabbing the angel through the back.
Even demons, such as Meg, have made use of these weapons. Meg used an angel blade to kill a pack of Crowley's hellhounds, and in a later episode, used one to kill the angel Hester to protect Castiel. Crowley somehow acquired one and used it to torture Samandriel, without killing him. He later threatens Castiel with it, but never gets to use it on him. In Torn and Frayed, it is shown for the first time that angel blades can, in fact, kill demons, when Sam kills two with one of these blades. In Goodbye Stranger, three demons were killed with angel blades, and Meg used an angel blade to stab Crowley in the arm, which caused him pain, but did not kill him. Meg was then killed by Crowley with an angel blade. Dean later stabbed Crowley through the hand with an angel blade, causing him great pain and pinning his hand to a wall. However, he was able to quickly free himself of the blade while Dean was away without even pulling it from the wall. It is also shown that the blades can kill Reapers in Taxi Driver, and that they can kill Nephilim in Clip Show.
The only type of Angels immune to angel blades are Archangels, as many melted down bullets barely affected Lucifer, and he survived being stabbed by Castiel. The Prince of Hell Ramiel was also shown to be immune to angel blades, as he survived being stabbed in the back with one by Mary Winchester.
While the Nephilim Jane was killed by being stabbed through the throat with an angel blade, Jack, as the son of an Archangel and a human rather than the child of a regular angel, was unharmed when stabbed through the heart with one.
An angel blade can be melted and the pieces can be fashioned into bullets which are just as fatal to angels. Crowley pioneered this method in The Great Escapist. He used it to great effect to kill or send angels, including Naomi, fleeing, other users are the humans of a alternate universe. Like a regular angel blade, fatality of the bullets depended on the manner of use. To create fatal damage, the bullets had to target vital organs. Bullets fired from a gun could also be reused as Castiel was able to kill Ion by manually shoving one of the bullets into his eye.
An angel blade could also remove an angel's grace as shown by Metatron using it to steal Castiel's grace by slicing open his throat, Castiel stealing Theo's grace and Crowley Adina's. In an ironic twist of fate, Castiel later uses it to remove Metatron's grace from him.
An angel sword is a sword version of the angel blade. It presumably has the same properties as an angel blade and is carried by the Grigori who have their names inscribed upon the hilt. After killing Tamiel, one of these fell into the hands of Claire Novak.
- Sam Winchester
- Dean Winchester
- Anna Milton
- Mary Winchester
- Raphael's Spy
- Rogue Angel
- Farmer Angel
- Pharmacist Angel
- Reaper (possessing April Kelly)
- Glee Club Angel
- Trucker Cupid
- Asa Fox
- Lily Sunder
- Eileen Leahy
- Season 4
- On The Head Of A Pin (first appearance)
- Season 5
- Season 6
- Season 7
- Season 8
- Season 9
- Season 10
- Season 11
- Season 12
- Season 13
- Despite initial claims that an angel can only be killed by another angel, it has been shown that anyone who wields an angel blade can kill one. It can be inferred that the statement meant that because only angels naturally have access to angel blades, that they are the only ones who can kill other angels.
- Demons that are stabbed with the blade die with the same glow as when they are stabbed with the Demon-Killing Knife.
- It was revealed in I'm No Angel that when an angel dies after being stabbed with this blade, it causes all of their vessel's insides to be vaporized, presumably from their grace exploding.
- The official episode summary named the blade as Sword of Lucifer.
- Dean has killed two angels and two Reapers with an angel blade and several demons. For most of the series, Sam only used an angel blade to kill demons until he killed Miriam in Lost & Found.
- Mary Winchester is the first one in the Winchester family to use an angel blade she uses it in an attempt to kill Anna but does not succeed. She is later able to successfully use it to kill Ms. Watt.
- Despite the Winchesters originally being the only hunters to have access to these weapons, both Asa Fox and Eileen Leahy were able to somehow get one. Upon seeing that Asa had one in Celebrating The Life Of Asa Fox, the Winchesters commented that it meant he was a real hunter.
- Jensen Ackles said that an angel blade was his favorite prop and compared them to fidget spinners.
- In Lost & Found, when Conrad is banished by Sam Winchester, his angel blade is left behind. Once Conrad is gone, the angel blade drops out of midair to the ground. This effect of the banishing sigil was never seen before that.