|“||Archangels are fierce. They're absolute. They're Heaven's most terrifying weapon.||”|
Archangels are primordial angels, being looked at as Heaven's most fearsome wrath. They were the first and strongest class of angels to be created, making them one of God's first creations. They were created in this order: Michael, Lucifer, Raphael, and Gabriel. Michael is the mightiest and the most loyal archangel, Lucifer is the most prideful and avaricious, Raphael was the most ruthless and imperious, while Gabriel was the most mischievous and deceptive.
|“||You think you created the archangels to bring light? No. You made them to create lesser beings; to make you large, to make you lord! It was ego! You wanted to be big!||”|
The archangels were the four chief angelic creations of God. They were created in this explicit order: Michael, Lucifer, Raphael and Gabriel. The archangels acted as siblings, and distinctively interacted with themselves and their father.
Some point after their creation, they and God went into war with The Darkness and together, while they couldn't destroy it, they succeeded in binding it. God then created a mark, later to be called The Mark of Cain, that would serve as both lock and key for the Darkness, which he gave to his most loved son and most trusted lieutenant, Lucifer. After the banishing of the Darkness and helping create Heaven, Michael personally raised his younger brother Lucifer, and accordingly, Lucifer took care of Gabriel, and showed him different tricks.
Following the imprisonment of the Leviathans in Purgatory and creation of mankind, God asked all his children to kneel before them. Although the other three archangels complied, Lucifer refused, and led a rebellion trying to overthrow God because when he was trusted with the Mark, it corrupted Lucifer and drove him to be jealous of humanity. Therefore, Michael, on God's command, defeated Lucifer and banished his brother out of Heaven and into Hell. During the turmoil, Gabriel escaped to Earth to avoid taking sides while Raphael chose to side with God and Michael.
After God's departure from Heaven, the archangels, according to Metatron, ferociously whined, cried, and wailed. Whilst they wanted their father back, over time, however, they began to shift their attention into ruling the Universe. Although immensely powerful themselves, to rule the universe they needed the Words of God. However, Metatron, the Scribe of God, predicted the archangels' decision, and proceeded to leave Heaven to protect the tablets and himself. Lucifer, however, was able to take possession of the Angel Tablet sometime after and had it placed in one of his crypts. The archangels were also believed to have killed Lucifer's elite order of demons, the Knights of Hell by everyone who knew of them. However, unknown to everyone, the truth was that the leader of the Knights, Cain, killed all but Abaddon himself instead of the archangels. According to Cain, only Abaddon knew the truth though Crowley somehow later found out.
For millions of years, Lucifer was imprisoned in Hell's depths, Michael and Raphael remained in Heaven under the guise of being God's representatives, and Gabriel lived among humans and the pagan deities. By 2009, the year of The Apocalypse, Gabriel fought against his three siblings and their desire to fight each other. He was subsequently killed. Sam Winchester managed to imprison Michael and Lucifer in Lucifer's Cage, leaving Raphael to take control over Heaven. Raphael was killed by Castiel two years later, and Lucifer did not return to the surface until 2016, becoming the only Archangel active and alive, his brother Michael having gone insane. As a result of Lucifer being trapped on an apocalpytic earth, Michael is the only Archangel left in Creation.
According to Castiel, they are known in Heaven as absolute, precise and wrathful creatures, as he has called them, "The most fearsome wrath of Heaven". Like all angels, their true forms are very intense, and have proven not only harmful but also fatal to humans, though Castiel also claimed that special humans can see their true forms. Their presence on Earth outside a vessel is often visualized as a blinding, pure white light, and their arrival can cause minor tremors, as shown by Lucifer when the Chapel shook as he escaped the Cage, and by Raphael while intervening to protect the prophet Chuck Shurley from Lilith. Their true voice also emits a piercing sound, which has proven to be excruciatingly painful to humans. During a subsequent appearance, Raphael caused the entire Eastern Sea Board to experience a black out and generated strong winds and heavy rainstorms. Shortly before his defeat, Lucifer's presence caused the temperature to drop drastically in Detroit.
It has been stated that Archangels are tethered to prophets. Raphael seemed to be the one who monitored and protected prophet Chuck Shurley. Before his fall, Lucifer was God's most beloved angel; he was considered beautiful, and was well respected in Heaven.
Archangels view themselves as the highest authority over all of creation since God's departure from Heaven. As leaders in Heaven, Michael and Raphael commanded the Host of Heaven, issuing orders to the "Senior Management" who were responsible for deploying angels to Earth. They did not share all their plans, especially their intention to allow Lucifer to be freed, to avoid rebellion in the lower ranks. Most of them showed little respect while interacting with humans, although Gabriel eventually confessed his appreciation of humanity even believing humans to be better than them.
The relationships between archangels and their true vessels can be complex. Holding an archangel is psychologically damaging to a human; Raphael's vessel Donnie Finnerman was left a drooling, catatonic mess after possession. Lucifer's continued presence in Nick, an alternate vessel, causes the human's body to breakdown, as evidenced by burn-like marks, scarring and tears on his skin. Lucifer's vessels can be strengthened with demon blood to better survive the ordeal; Castiel later commented that Lucifer was drinking gallons of blood to keep his body intact. However, when Lucifer transferred to Sam, Nick would die. Despite his contempt and hatred for humanity as a whole, Lucifer showed some sympathy towards Nick, and towards Sam Winchester, his true vessel. Michael, though condescendingly, was willing to explain his position to Dean Winchester while occupying his father, and promised not to leave Dean a "drooling mess" after his service and even promised to restore John Winchester, whom he was possessing, to "better than new", which he later did. This implies that, possibly because of their deep contempt for humanity, archangels leave their vessels in a dilapidated state not as a consequence of possession, but out of sheer spite.
Death revealed that it was the archangels that fought off and entrapped the Darkness that existed before God created the universe. God and Lucifer both later stated that it took the four archangels to weaken the Darkness enough for God to lock her away and even then God could barely do it.
God tells the Winchesters that the archangels are beings of primordial creation. As a result, it is extremely difficult, but not impossible, for God to resurrect them from the dead unlike lesser angels such as Castiel. However, God states that resurrecting archangels would take time.
Powers and Abilities
|“||No one gives us the right; we take it.||”|
— Lucifer comments on his and his brothers' powers.
in Hammer of the Gods
|“||Whatever we want, we get!||”|
— Raphael describing his and his brothers' absolute authority.
in Free To Be You and Me
|“||No-one makes us do anything!||”|
— Gabriel's description of his and his brother's powers.
in Hammer of the Gods
Archangels are the highest type of celestial being, possessing an immense amount of supernatural power that makes them among the oldest and most powerful beings in the universe. All four Archangels together are powerful enough to weaken The Darkness, the most powerful entity in existence, albeit assisted by God. They possess the powers and abilities that are inherent in all angels, but to a much higher degree, arguably the highest degree with their power just under that of God himself. Despite their tremendous power, Lucifer himself fears the Shedim, creatures he would not allow to roam free after God locked them in Hell. The Archangels are held in extremely high esteem by angels, being looked upon as "fierce" and "absolute" in power and capability. Archangels have a vast supply of power and can create most things out of thin air.
- Lower Tier Nigh-Omnipotence - Archangels have a tremendously vast supply of power; they can accomplish almost anything they desire with only some exceptions. Only God, The Darkness, and Death can defeat them. A great display of their power is also everything from the ability to create alternate universes to, collectively and assisted by God, being able to stand up to The Darkness. Archangels rank in age in this specific order: Michael, Lucifer, Raphael, Gabriel. As for the power line, the order is the same, with Michael and Lucifer being equals, or Michael very slightly stronger, as the Michael from the alternate reality killed his Lucifer as well as having easily beat the main reality Lucifer in a fight. They are far older than The Universe itself.
- Angelic Possession - Even archangels require vessels to manifest physically on Earth and need their consent to do so.
- Chronokinesis - Archangels can travel and send themselves, and/or others, backwards or forwards through time.
- Conversion - Lucifer created the race of demons by twisting humans souls.
- Highly Advanced Holy White Light - Archangels can blast almost anything into oblivion with holy energy. This power can also be controlled and concentrated from completely obliterating something to only severely damaging it.
- Super Strength - As the first and most powerful angels, Archangels can exert or apply extreme immense amounts of physical force to people, objects, creatures, and beings. They can overpower and kill anything, besides God, Death, or The Darkness.
- Super Stamina - Archangels' vessels need nothing to maintain their strength, to strive, or operate, as they are self-sufficient. "Falling", or being banished doesn't affect their powers at all, whereas it causes normal angels to lose the ability to smite and heal.
- Telekinesis - Archangels can move and otherwise exert force on matter with their mind.
- Teleportation - Archangels can disappear and reappear anywhere that's not sigil-protected instantly. Even after Metatron's Spell, Lucifer was still able to teleport, as his wings are fully intact.
- Apporting - Archangels can teleport people, objects and lesser angels to wherever they want.
- Telepathy - Archangels can read and feel/sense the thoughts of humans.
- Dream Walking - Archangels can appear in peoples' dreams, and they usually use this ability to communicate when they can't find the person they're looking for, or when they want to talk privately.
- Memory Manipulation - Archangels can erase, fabricate and restore the memories of people.
- Mental Projection - Archangels can communicate with humans by projecting images into their minds. Lucifer used this to communicate with his vessels Nick and Vince Vincente to get a "yes" from them. Once his cage was damaged, Lucifer was able to use this power to communicate with Sam Winchester in the form of visions.
- Sedation - Michael used this to put Mary Winchester to sleep.
- Empathy - Archangels can read, and feel/sense the emotions of humans.
- Precognition - Archangels can see into the future, although they do not always see the full picture; as Michael has apparently been "wrong", and neither Lucifer nor Gabriel foresaw their defeats.
- Highly Advanced Reality Warping - Like some Angels and Seraphs, Archangels can alter reality, albeit to a greater degree. This ability is better demonstrated by the archangel Gabriel, who can create anything he wants out of thin air and can even put people in a TV universe.
- Resurrection - Archangels can bring deceased individuals back to life.
- Power Granting - Archangels can grant protection or powers to other beings as shown when Raphael made Crowley immune to Castiel's angelic killing touch.
- Weather Manipulation - Practically every Archangel changes the weather upon first emergence. The sheer presence can drastically alter the Earth's weather and surroundings, and they are capable of causing raging storms and generating strong air-currents
- Pyrokinesis - Archangels can manipulate, control and generate fire. They can incinerate any other angel type, all demons, alphas, all monsters, deities, and humans. Michael incinerated Anna, burning her from the inside out.
- Thermokinesis - Archangels can alter the temperature of their surroundings. Lucifer's presence could cause a massive drop in temperature, and he could cause ice to form on a window just by breathing on it. He was also able to heat up a pair of Supernatural Handcuffs until they popped off of his wrist. Michael was also to cause a door knob to heat up drastically to prevent Adam from escaping.
- Electrokinesis - Archangels can manipulate, control and generate electricity with such an intensity that they can cause coastal blackouts as seen when Raphael manifested before Dean and Castiel. With a snap of his fingers, Lucifer was able to disable a fire alarm and turn on music.
- Terrakinesis - Archangels can cause full-fledged earthquakes, regardless of whether they are in a vessel or not.
- Molecular Combustion - Archangels have demonstrated the ability to explode lower angels into their component molecules with snaps of their fingers.
- Regeneration - If they are in some way harmed, they can instantly heal all non-fatal wounds.
- Flight - Like regular angels, archangels have demonstrated flight, though not when in a vessel.
- Biokinesis - Archangels can manipulate the bodies of lesser beings, either to harm or to transfigure. Lucifer was able to cause a man to die of a massive cerebral hemorrhage.
- Healing - Archangels can cure any disease, wound, or injury. Michael even said that after he used Dean, he would just simply undo all the damage done to his body.
- Supernatural Perception - They can sense and perceive beings and things that are naturally invisible, such as Reapers and even Horsemen. Lucifer was able to casually look at Death's true form upon his release.
- Shapeshifting - Archangels can change form, as Lucifer did when he appeared to Nick using Sarah's visage. He also did this to Sam while using Jessica's visage. Gabriel also demonstrated this ability several times, in conjunction with his reality warping abilities.
- Astral Projection - Archangels can display their wings like any other angel.
- Nigh-Omniscience - Being around for billions/trillions of years, the Archangels have vast knowledge and awareness about many things. Even when Lucifer was trapped in the cage, he had knowledge about what Sam has been through.
- Immortality - Archangels aren't affected by time or disease and don't need to breathe, eat, or sleep to sustain themselves. They predate creation and the universe itself making them more than 13.8 billion years old.
- Invulnerability - Archangels cannot be damaged or injured by anything that's at least not supernatural.
- Immunity - Archangels have immunity to that which affects lesser angels. Michael was not killed by holy fire as lesser angels are, and Lucifer is one of the five things in all creation that the Colt cannot kill, though it can still inflict pain upon him for a time.
- Eidetic Memory - Like all angels, the Archangels have the faces of every prophet who has existed or will exist etched into their memories. This ability also makes them aware of reality warping and timeline changes.
Despite them being very powerful, the archangels possess a few weaknesses which are common to all angels.
Harming, Misleading, Banishing, and Trapping
- Angel Banishing Sigil - An angel banishing sigil can banish an archangel.
- Enochian sigils - They can conceal a person's location from all angels, including archangels. Enochian sigils were also used to keep Lucifer confined in a cage in Limbo.
- Lucifer's Cage - This cell can hold any angel, therefore including archangels, without any internal means of escape.
- The Colt - While the Colt could not kill Lucifer, it still caused him considerable pain and he was unconscious for a short amount of time when he was shot in the head.
- Holy Oil - Archangels can be trapped in a loop of holy fire for a period of time. Lucifer could extinguish the holy fire in a few minutes after being trapped in it. Raphael was able to escape from holy fire off-screen. Holy fire was unable to kill Michael unlike lower angels but it caused him great pain and banished him temporarily. Unlike his siblings, when contained by holy fire, Gabriel acted as if it would contain him permanently unless released.
- Heaven's Weapons - All of Heaven's weapons acting together could hurt and might have killed Raphael. Lot's Stone was able to disintegrate his vessel.
- Hand of God - The power from a Hand, is capable of knocking an Archangel down and prevents them from using their powers temporarily.
- Magic - Powerful magic and spells can have limited effect on an archangel as Rowena could paralyze Lucifer briefly and Kali could bind Gabriel to herself.
- Hyperbolic pulse generator - It is capable of expelling an archangel from their vessel.
- Mark of Cain - The Mark is capable of corrupting even Archangels, as seen with Lucifer.
- Grace Removal - As seen with Lucifer, even Archangels can have all or most of their grace removed, as Lucifer had much of his grace removed the Alternate Michael. This rendered Lucifer almost human, and was unable to counter Asmodeus.
- Archangel Blades - An Archangel Blade can harm and kill an archangel.
- Souls - Imbued with 50,000 souls, Castiel could banish Raphael. Consumption of millions of souls and Leviathans gave Castiel so much power that he could snap his fingers and obliterate Raphael.
- Primordial Entities - God can negate an archangel's powers completely. The Darkness can kill an archangel.
- Lance of Michael - A weapon created by Michael in order to kill Lucifer slowly and painfully.
- Dean Winchester (not used) - Michael's true vessel.
- Sam Winchester (currently not used) - Lucifer's true vessel.
- Nick (deceased/current vessel) - Lucifer's "Plan B" vessel. Repaired and improved in 2016 by Crowley to act as Lucifer's vessel once more.
- Jimmy Novak (deceased, body still used by Castiel) - Originally, Castiel's true vessel. Lucifer took over his body after Castiel agreed to possession. Lucifer was later expelled from Jimmy by the Darkness.
- Donnie Finnerman (deceased) - Raphael's first vessel. Killed when Balthazar used Lot's salt on Raphael which only Raphael survived.
- John Winchester (deceased) - Michael's temporary vessel, restored to normal once Michael was finished. Was killed in 2006 by Azazel.
- Adam Milligan (sealed in Lucifer's Cage) - Michael's replacement vessel. Incapacitated when he, along with Michael possessing him, are thrown into Hell by Sam where Adam still remains.
- Unnamed male (deceased) - Gabriel's only known vessel. Was killed along with Gabriel by Lucifer.
- Unnamed female (deceased) - Raphael's second vessel. Was killed along with Raphael by Castiel.
- Multiple unknown (deceased) - Lucifer's temporary vessels he went into after being ripped from Castiel by Amara. All destroyed because of their inability to contain him.
- Vince Vincente (deceased) - After multiple other vessels, Lucifer was able to find a vessel that could contain him, a rock star. Vince lasted for about a month before deteriorating completely.
- Jefferson Rooney - Lucifer possessed the President of the United States for a short time following the death of Vince Vincente. Lucifer was ultimately exorcised from Rooney by Sam Winchester with a hyperbolic pulse generator. Rooney survived his brief possession.
- Season 2
- Season 3
- Season 4
- Season 5
- Sympathy for the Devil (Lucifer)
- Free To Be You and Me (Raphael and Lucifer)
- The End (Lucifer)
- Changing Channels (Gabriel)
- Abandon All Hope... (Lucifer)
- The Song Remains the Same (Michael)
- Point of No Return (Michael's presence)
- Hammer of the Gods (Gabriel and Lucifer)
- Swan Song (Michael and Lucifer)
- Season 6
- Season 7
- Season 9
- Season 10
- Brother's Keeper (mentioned only)
- Season 11
- Out of the Darkness, Into the Fire (Michael and Lucifer, mentioned only)
- Baby (Lucifer, posing as young John Winchester in Sam's vision)
- O Brother, Where Art Thou? (Lucifer)
- The Devil in the Details (Lucifer; the other three mentioned only)
- Into the Mystic (Lucifer)
- The Vessel (Lucifer)
- Beyond the Mat (Lucifer)
- Hell's Angel (Lucifer)
- Don't Call Me Shurley (mentioned only)
- All in the Family (Lucifer)
- We Happy Few (Lucifer; the other three mentioned only)
- Season 12
- Keep Calm and Carry On (Lucifer, mentioned only)
- Mamma Mia (Lucifer)
- The Foundry (Lucifer)
- American Nightmare (mentioned only)
- The One You've Been Waiting For (mentioned only)
- Rock Never Dies (Lucifer)
- LOTUS (Lucifer)
- Stuck in the Middle (With You) (Lucifer; Michael mentioned only)
- Family Feud (Lucifer)
- Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell (Lucifer)
- The British Invasion (Lucifer; Michael mentioned only)
- The Future (Lucifer)
- There's Something About Mary (Lucifer)
- All Along the Watchtower (Lucifer)
- Season 13
- Lost & Found (Lucifer)
- The Rising Son (Lucifer and Michael)
- The Big Empty (Lucifer; mentioned only)
- Advanced Thanatology (Lucifer; mentioned only)
- War of the Worlds (Lucifer and Michael)
- The Bad Place (Lucifer; mentioned only)
- Various & Sundry Villains (Lucifer)
- Devil's Bargain (Lucifer)
- Only the Best Intentions (Lucifer)
- Even though in some religions there are many archangels and 7 of them are the favorites of God, only four have been confirmed in Supernatural - Michael, Lucifer, Raphael and Gabriel - and a few fans have argued that the fact that Metatron (when asking if Sam and Dean worked for any of the archangels in The Great Escapist) only mentioned these four archangels would suggest that there aren't any other archangels in Supernatural. Though given Metatron's lowly position within Heaven, before leaving and cutting himself off from angel radio, there could be more that he was unaware of.
- Metatron was described as an Archangel in one of the Word of God tablets, but he revealed that he was simply an angel that was chosen to be a scribe.
- Michaelmas, also known as the Feast of Saint Michael, is a Christian festival observed on September 29, to honor the Archangels, specifically Michael, and sometimes Gabriel, Raphael and Uriel. This day is also coincidentally the birth date of Adam Milligan, Michael's second vessel.
- The archangels are collectively one of the most dangerous and powerful antagonists in the entire series. So far, they have not been shown working alongside each other.
- Season 5 is the only season in which all four archangels are active. By Season 12, only Lucifer is, as Raphael and Gabriel are dead and Michael is in The Cage.
- While it is unknown what an Angel Suppressing Sigil would do to an archangel, Sam was able to use the angel banishing sigil against Lucifer successfully in The Vessel, showing that archangels can be affected by that sigil.
- It was originally believed by the Men of Letters that the Archangels were responsible for the extermination of the Knights of Hell except Abaddon, it was actually the Knights' founder, Cain. Whether or not this rumor was started by the angels or by Cain himself is currently unknown.
- Gabriel, so far, is the only archangel for the main universe to only use one vessel.
- Michael is the only archangel who wasn't introduced with a vessel specifically for him. For Lucifer, it was Nick; for Raphael, it was Donnie; and for Gabriel, it was his unnamed vessel.
- This is not the case following the introduction of Michael from an alternate reality.
- Lucifer is the only Archangel to impregnate a human in the series.
- Raphael is the only Archangel to use both a male and female vessel.
- It has been implied that Cain and Abel, as their blood line contains the vessels of Michael and Lucifer, also could've been vessels for the latter.
- Lucifer's eyes are shown to glow reddish orange in O Brother Where Art Thou, this implies that the color Archangels eyes would glow with the same color whereas the eyes of Castiel and other angels glow bright blue. However it is unknown if this trait is unique to Lucifer. It is possible that Lucifer appeared that way as he makes use of theatrics when talking with certain people, such as Sam and Dean, to psychologically get under their skin.
- In Season 12, Lucifer's eyes often glow in this color, proving this is his natural eye color.
- All four archangels have acted as antagonists towards the Winchesters, however, only Gabriel and Lucifer have become at least temporary allies to them.
- The Archangels are the only creations of God confirmed to exist pre-Universe, and thus his only known primordial creation.
- So far, only an alternate reality version of Michael and Lucifer have appeared.
- Curiously, all versions of Michael and Lucifer introduced so far tells a different story of how the Apocalypse could have ended, Michael and Lucifer from the Alternate Universe of All Along the Watchtower, tells what happens when Michael wins the Apocalypse, Michael and Lucifer from the Alternate Universe of The End, tells what happens when Lucifer wins the Apocalypse, and Michael and Lucifer from the main universe tells what happens when both lose/draw the Apocalypse.
- Season 9 is the only season where an Archangel appears, and does not play some sort of antagonistic role.
- ↑ We Happy Few
- ↑ The Monster at the End of This Book
- ↑ Brother's Keeper
- ↑ We Happy Few
- ↑ We Happy Few
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 Sympathy for the Devil
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 Free To Be You and Me
- ↑ The End
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 Changing Channels
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 Abandon All Hope...
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 11.3 Swan Song
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 12.2 The Song Remains the Same
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 Hammer of the Gods
- ↑ Sympathy for the Devil
- ↑ Mamma Mia
- ↑ Good God, Y'all
- ↑ Rock Never Dies
- ↑ 18.0 18.1 Point of No Return
- ↑ Rock Never Dies
- ↑ Swan Song
- ↑ Into the Mystic
- ↑ Hell's Angel
- ↑ LOTUS
- ↑ Mystery Spot
- ↑ The Vessel
- ↑ Caged Heat
- ↑ Family Matters
- ↑ Brother's Keeper
- ↑ War of the Worlds
- ↑ The Man Who Would Be King