|“||The only known weapon capable of destroying an archangel. The archangel blade.||”|
This weapon is a type of angel blade carried by an archangel, that can kill archangels. It's implied that it is a far upsurge when compared with the regular angel blade. However it's power is only accessible if wielded by an archangel. This appears to be limited to killing archangels as Arthur Ketch was able to kill a demon with the blade. While powered by the archangel Michael who he was the vessel to at the time, Dean was able to use a blade to kill Lucifer despite the fact that Dean was in control instead of Michael.
This type of blade is mentioned Hammer of the Gods. The Archangel Gabriel confronts the deities and bring a fake blade along with him, as a means to fake his death safely. Later, Kali takes what she thinks is the real blade, so that she can kill Lucifer. Gabriel then confronts Lucifer armed with his archangel blade. Lucifer sees through Gabriel's illusion however and stabs Gabriel with his own archangel blade, killing him.
In Devil's Bargain, the Prince of Hell Asmodeus reveals that an "important errand" he'd had to run was to retrieve an archangel blade he'd thought was lost forever, their one chance at killing Lucifer and something to do about the invading Michael. A confused Arthur Ketch asks about the lore stating that the blade is only effective if wielded by an archangel, Asmodeus reveals a captive Gabriel.
In The Thing, when Arthur decides to rescue Gabriel, he steals the archangel blade as well. During the escape, Arthur uses the blade to kill a demon. After reaching the Men of Letters bunker, Arthur hands the blade and Gabriel over to the Winchesters.
In Bring 'em Back Alive, Sam and Castiel learn from Gabriel's story that the Gabriel Lucifer stabbed with the archangel blade was just another fake. The real Gabriel had used the opportunity to fake his own death so that he could return to a life without responsibilities.
In Beat the Devil, after Lucifer is magically bound by Rowena MacLeod, Gabriel holds the archangel blade to his throat. Though the despondent Lucifer urges Gabriel to kill him with it, Gabriel instead smashes Lucifer in the head with the butt of the archangel blade, knocking him unconscious. Gabriel brings it with him to Apocalypse World, but arms himself with a regular angel blade rather than the archangel blade for the trip.
In Exodus, after Lucifer shows up at the Dayton outpost, Dean demands that Gabriel use the archangel blade to kill him. However, Gabriel refuses and the situation is defused when Jack gets upset and leaves.
Outside of the closing rift, Gabriel draws his archangel blade to hold Michael off so that the Winchesters can escape. Michael draws an archangel blade of his own and the two battle. Gabriel proves to be no match for Michael who stabs Gabriel in the abdomen with his archangel blade, killing him.
In Let the Good Times Roll, Lucifer uses an archangel blade to steal Jack's grace, rendering Jack powerless. After arriving in a church, Lucifer tosses his blade between Sam and Jack and demands that they fight to the death with it with the winner being allowed to live. Though Sam insists that Jack kill him, Jack decides to commit suicide with the blade before being interrupted.
Now the vessel of Michael, Dean arrives armed with Michael's archangel blade. With Michael powering him, Dean battles Lucifer, but proves no match for him, losing his blade in the process. As Lucifer begins smiting Dean, Sam tosses Dean Michael's dropped archangel blade. Dean stabs Lucifer in the heart with the archangel blade, killing him.
Known Users and Owners
- Kali (fake conjuration)
- Arthur Ketch
- Sam Winchester
- Dean Winchester
- It is unknown if Raphael's blade was a regular angel blade or an archangel blade.
- It is unclear if there was more than one archangel blade. Though two appear in Exodus and Let the Good Times Roll, one is from the Apocalypse World while the other is the one Asmodeus acquired through unknown means.
- During Season 5, the initial appearance of an Archangel Blade did not differ from that of any ordinary angel blade. However, in the item's reintroduction in Season 13, the Archangel Blade was redesigned to have a different appearance. The new blade has a more spiral, drill-like blade.
- Although Lucifer was invulnerable to angel blades, Michael was able to extract his grace by using one, looking the same as a common angel blade. It was unclear if Michael used an archangel blade or not but Castiel was able to do the same in Beat the Devil, revealing that it likely was not an archangel blade. Later, Michael is shown to have an archangel blade identical to the one Asmodeus got ahold of, confirming that it was in fact a regular angel blade.
- Gabriel and Lucifer are killed with the same archangel blade, the one belonging to Apocalypse World Michael. However, two different characters wield the blade to kill them.
- Season 5
- Season 13