|Season(s)||2 - 7 - 9|
|Status|| Imprisoned in Hell (Michael & Lucifer) |
|Title/Alias|| Trickster & Loki (Gabriel) |
Satan, Serpent and Devil (Lucifer)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Angel (Raphael)
|Occupation|| Ruler of Heaven (Michael & Raphael) |
Ruler of Hell (Lucifer)
Pagan Deity (Gabriel)
Host of Heaven
The Winchesters (Gabriel)
Pegan Deities (Gabriel)
|Family|| God (Father/Creator)|
Dean (Michael's True Vessel)
Sam (Lucifer's True Vessel)
|Portrayed by:|| Matt Cohen and Jake Abel (Michael) |
Mark Pellegrino and Jared Padalecki (Lucifer)
Richard Speight Jr. (Gabriel)
Demore Barnes and Lanette Ware (Raphael)
Archangels are the first and most powerful winged celestial beings created by God. God created them before any other type of angel, such as seraphs and Cupids, or any other creatures, although Leviathans predate them. Being the oldest of the angels, Archangels are at the top of the celestial hierarchy They possess incalculable power and answer only to God, although Death is more powerful than them. They were created in this order: Michael, Lucifer, Raphael, and Gabriel. Michael is the most powerful and their leader, Lucifer is God's most loved but also the most greedy, Raphael was the most obediant while Gabriel was the most mischievous.
The angel Metatron was also considered to be an Archangel until he revealed that he was simply a regular angel.
After creating the first beasts, the Leviathans, and locking them away in Purgatory, God created his four chief celestial beings whom he christened archangels. They were created in this explicit order: Michael, Lucifer, Raphael, and Gabriel. They distinctively met and interacted with their father. In Heaven, Michael personally raised his little brother Lucifer, but following the creation of man, God asked all his children to kneel before them. Although the other three archangels complied, Lucifer refused, and led a rebellion trying to overthrow God. Michael, on God's command, defeated Lucifer, and banished his brother out of Heaven and into Hell. During the turmoil, Gabriel escaped to Earth to avoid taking sides and Raphael chose to side with God and Michael.
After God's departure from Heaven, the archangels, according to Metatron, ferociously whined and wailed. Over time, however, they began to shift their attention into ruling the universe. Although immensely powerful themselves, to rule the universe, they would need the Words of God. However, Metatron, the Scribe of God, predicted the archangels' decision, and proceeded to leave Heaven to protect the tablets and himself. Lucifer, however, was able to take possession of the Angel Tablet sometime after and had it placed in one of his crypts.
According to Castiel, they are known in Heaven as absolute, precise and wrathful creatures, as he has called them, "The most fearsome wrath of Heaven". Like all angels, their true forms are very intense, and have proven not only harmful but also fatal to humans., though Castiel also claimed that special humans can see their true forms. Their presence on Earth outside a vessel is often visualized as a blinding, pure white light, and their arrival can cause minor tremors, as shown by Lucifer when the Chapel shook as he escaped the Cage, and by Raphael while intervening to protect the prophet Chuck Shurley from Lilith. Their true voice also emits a piercing sound, which has proven to be excruciatingly painful to humans. During a subsequent appearance, Raphael caused the entire Eastern Sea Board to experience a black out and generated strong winds and heavy rainstorms. Shortly before his defeat, Lucifer's presence caused the temperature to drop drastically in Detroit.
It has been stated that Archangels are tethered to prophets. Raphael seemed to be the one who monitored and protected prophet Chuck Shurley. Before his fall, Lucifer was God's most beloved angel; he was considered beautiful, and was well respected in Heaven.
Archangels view themselves as the highest authority over all of creation since God's departure from Heaven. As leaders in Heaven, Michael and Raphael commanded the Host of Heaven, issuing orders to the "Senior Management" who were responsible for deploying angels to Earth. They did not share all their plans, especially their intention to allow Lucifer to be freed, to avoid rebellion in the lower ranks. Most of them showed little respect while interacting with humans, although Gabriel eventually confessed his appreciation of humanity.
The relationships between archangels and their true vessels can be complex. Holding an archangel is psychologically damaging to a human; Raphael's vessel Donnie Finnerman was left a drooling, catatonic mess after possession. Lucifer's continued presence in Nick, an alternate vessel, causes the human's body to breakdown, as evidenced by burn-like marks, scarring and tears on his skin. Lucifer's vessels can be strengthened with demon blood to better survive the ordeal; Castiel later commented that Lucifer was drinking gallons of blood to keep his body intact. However when Lucifer transfered to Sam, Nick would die. Despite his contempt and hatred for humanity as a whole, Lucifer showed some sympathy towards Nick, and towards Sam Winchester, his true vessel. Michael, though condescendingly, was willing to explain his position to Dean Winchester while occupying his father, and promised not to leave Dean a "drooling mess" after his service and even promised to restore John Winchester, whom he was possessing, to "better than new", which he later did. This implies that, possibly because of their deep contempt for humanity, archangels leave their vessels in a dilapidated state not as a consequence of possession, but out of sheer spite.
Powers & AbilitiesEdit
- "No one gives us the right; we take it."
- —Lucifer comments on his and his brothers' powers.[src]
As the highest-ranking angels, the archangels possess the powers and abilities that are inherent in all angels, but at the highest level, with increased strengths and powers commensurate with their rank.
Imbued with immense and unimaginable power by God, the archangels are four of the most powerful beings in all of creation. They are held in high esteem by angels, being looked upon as "fierce" and "absolute". All archangels have tremendous power over other supernatural beings. God and Death are more powerful than them, as was Castiel when he temporarily gained god-like powers from Purgatory's souls (at least over Raphael). It is probable the remaining Horsemen are as powerful as the Archangels as Pestilence shows no fear of defying Lucifer's orders. It is unknown if Eve or the Leviathan are immune to their powers.
- Immortality - Archangels aren't underneath time, affected by age or diseases, and don't need to breathe, eat, or sleep to sustain themselves. They are some of the oldest things in all of Creation. They're nearly indestructible, but an Archangel blade and the weapons of Heaven can kill and hurt them.
- Angelic Possession - By God's law, even Archangels require vessels to manifest physically on Earth, with the vessel's consent. Unlike average angels, Archangels are highly particular about their vessels; any vessel that an Archangel such as Michael or Lucifer possesses that is not part of Cain and Abel's bloodline will burn up and deteriorate over time.
- Holy White Light - Being imbued with holy white light, they can generate this light as intense burning energy through their vessels' hands, and it is capable of destroying almost anything. This power can also be controlled as Raphael could choose who or what was affected by his and how much it hurt them (if he chose not to kill with it).
- Invulnerability - Archangels cannot be hurt or damaged by most weapons. However, Lucifer experienced pain when shot by the Colt, and Raphael's vessel could be affected by Lot's Stone. Archangel blades can permanently kill them, and they can hurt each other.
- Super Strength - As the first, oldest, and highest-ranking celestial beings in all of God's creation, archangels are astronomically strong while within a vessel, being physically much stronger than pagan deities, lesser and mid-level angels, top-level demons, spirits, and monsters.
- Super Stamina - Archangels' vessels need nothing to maintain their strength, to strive, or operate, as they are self-sufficient. Unlike most angels (except for Seraphs), they don't get their power from Heaven, and as such, "falling" or being banished doesn't affect their powers at all.
- Telekinesis - Archangels are mentally influential on beings and objects. Being refined in this power, Archangels have greater power and range with this than other beings.
- Teleportation - Archangels are masters at teleportation; they can move in and out of a place instantly, and they have great speed and agility. They can transverse across the entire universe.
- Telepathy - Archangels can hear, read and feel/sense the thoughts and emotions of humans.
- Precognition - Archangels can see into the future, although they do not always see the full picture; as Michael has apparently been "wrong", and neither Lucifer nor Gabriel foresaw their defeats.
- Summoning/Banishing - Archangels can summon and banish angels at their command. This was demonstrated by Michael.
- Memory Manipulation- Archangels can erase, fabricate and restore memories of people.
- Shapeshifting - Archangels can change form, as Lucifer did when he appeared to Nick using Sarah's visage. Gabriel also demonstrated this ability several times, in conjunction with his reality warping abilities.
- Enhanced Reality Altering - Like Seraphs, Archangels can alter reality, albeit to a greater degree. Gabriel can create anything he wants out of thin air and can even put people in a TV universe. He learned this ability from Lucifer.
- Time Manipulation - Archangels can travel and send themselves, and/or others, backwards or forwards through time.
- Resurrection - Archangels can revive the deceased with a touch or thought without strain.
- Power Granting - Archangels can grant protection or powers to other beings as shown when Raphael made Crowley immune to Castiel's angelic killing touch.
- Nigh-Omnipotence - Archangels have a vast supply of power and can change reality, being able to do and create things out of thin air such as illusions, fantasies, portals, beings, etc. Having great power and dexterity, Archangels can easily overpower humans, angels, pagan gods, demons and monsters.
- Supernatural Perception - They can sense and perceive beings and things that are naturally invisible, such as Reapers and even Horsemen. Lucifer was able to casually look at Death's true form upon his release.
- Weather Manipulation - Practically every Archangel changes the weather upon first emergence. The sheer power of their presence can/and likely will drastically alter the Earth's weather and surroundings, and they are capable of causing raging storms and generating strong air-currents.
- Pyrokinesis - Archangels can manipulate and generate fire. With it, they can incinerate almost anything. Michael incinerated Anna, burning her from the inside out.
- Cryokinesis - Archangels can manipulate and generate ice. Lucifer's presence could cause a massive drop in temperature, and he could cause ice to freeze onto a window just by breathing on it.
- Electrokinesis - Archangels can manipulate, control and generate electricity with such an intensity that they can cause coastal blackouts.
- Terrakinesis - Archangels can cause full-fledged earthquakes, regardless of whether they are in a vessel or not.
- Biokinesis - Archangels, by snapping or clicking their fingers, can spontaneously destroy angels, and therefore monsters and humans alike as well.
- Regeneration - If they are in some way harmed, they can instantly heal all non-fatal wounds.
- Flight - Like regular angels, archangels have demonstrated flight, though not when in a vessel.
- Sedation - Michael used this to put Mary Winchester to sleep.
- Healing- Archangels can cure any disease, wound, or injury.
- Voice Mimicry - Archangels can perfectly mimic the voice of mortals.
- Dream Walking - Archangels can appear in peoples' dreams, and they usually use this ability to communicate when they can't find the person they're looking for, or when they want to talk privately. Lucifer was able to talk to his future vessels in their dreams.
- Astral Projection - Like angels and Seraphim.
- Eidetic Memory - Angels have the faces of every prophet who has existed or will exist etched into their memories. This ability also makes them aware of reality warping and timeline changes.
- Immunity - Archangels have immunity to that which affects lesser angels. Michael was not killed holy fire as lesser angels are, and Lucifer is one of the five things in all creation that the Colt cannot kill, though it can still inflict pain upon him for a time.
In spite of them being extremely powerful, the archangels possess a few weaknesses which are common to all angels.
- Archangel Blade - A weapon of their own design, this is the only known conventional way to fully destroy an archangel. Regular angel blades can possibly harm or kill archangels, as Dean tried to use one on Raphael.
- Holy Oil - If burned, it can be used to trap Archangels, just like any other type of angel. It is powerful enough to be lethal to Gabriel and Raphael, however Michael is more resilient to it, as it only hurts and temporally banishes him. It's unknown what effect it would have on Lucifer.
- Enochian Sigils - Can be used to conceal a location from all angels, including Archangels.
- Blood Spell - Kali was able to bind Gabriel to her presence by taking blood from his vessel. However he was still able to ellude her afterwards, suggesting the bind wasn't 100%. As the weakest, its unknown if it would work on the elder archangels.
- Heaven's weapons - The weapons of Heaven can severely harm archangels. Raphael even fled when Castiel threatened him with them.
- Lucifer's Cage - Of God's own design, it is sturdy and powerful enough to hold at least the two strongest Archangels.
- Death's Scythe - It was stated it can kill any angel, but since it has never been used against an Archangel, its effectiveness against them is unknown.
- The Colt - When Dean shot Lucifer, he was hurt and fell unconscious for a few seconds though it cannot kill him as Lucifer stated.
- Souls - While angels usually are of no threat to Archangels, if they become imbued with enough souls, they can become strong enough to kill at least the weaker Archangels.
- Dean Winchester - Michael's true vessel (not used)
- Sam Winchester - Lucifer's true vessel
- Nick - Lucifer's "Plan B" vessel
- Donnie Finnerman - Raphael's first vessel
- John Winchester - Michael's temporary vessel
- Adam Milligan - Michael's replacement vessel
- Unnamed male - Gabriel's only known vessel
- Unnamed female - Raphael's second vessel
It has been implied that Cain and Abel, as they are the ansestors to Sam and Dean, could also have been vessels for Michael and Lucifer.
- Season 5
- Sympathy for the Devil (Lucifer)
- Free To Be You and Me (Raphael and Lucifer)
- The End (Lucifer)
- Changing Channels (Gabriel)
- Abandon All Hope... (Lucifer)
- The Song Remains the Same (Michael)
- Point of No Return (Michael's presence)
- Hammer of the Gods (Gabriel and Lucifer)
- Swan Song (Michael and Lucifer)
- Season 5
- Even though in some religions there are seven archangels, only four have been confirmed in Supernatural - Michael, Lucifer, Raphael and Gabriel - and a few fans have argued that the fact that Metatron (when asking if Sam and Dean worked for any of the archangels in The Great Escapist) only mentioned these four archangels would suggest that there aren't any other archangels in Supernatural. Though given Metatron's lowly position within Heaven, before leaving and cutting himself off from angel radio, there could be more that he was unaware of.
- The archangels are collectively one of the most dangerous and powerful antagonists in the entire series.
- The only known living archangels to date in Supernatural are Michael and Lucifer, as Raphael was killed by Castiel (after he absorbed all the souls from Purgatory), while Gabriel was killed by Lucifer though it has been implied numerous times that Gabriel is somehow still alive.
- Metatron was described as an archangel in one of the Word of God tablets, but he revealed that he was simply an angel that was chosen to be a scribe.
- To date, no one has ever used a Angel Banishing Sigil or an Angel Supressing Sigil on an Archangel so it is unknown how it would affect Archangels.
- It was originally believed by the Men of Letters that the Archangels were responsible for the extermination of the Knights of Hell except Abaddon, it was actually the knights founder, Cain. Whether or not this rumour was started by the angels or by Cain himself is currently unknown.