Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Bedtime Stories is the 5th episode of Season 3. It premiered on November 1st, 2007.
Sam and Dean visit a strange town where mysterious deaths seemed linked to fairy tales. Later, Sam summons the sly and beautiful Crossroad Demon and threatens her with the mystical Colt revolver, which can permanently kill almost any supernatural creature.
Now that the Colt has been restored, Sam argues with Dean that they should use it to kill the crossroads demon, in an effort to release Dean from his deal. Dean is in staunch opposition to the idea, as it may put Sam’s life in danger. He deflects the argument by asking Sam for details of the killings, which they suspect a werewolf may be responsible for, that they are on their way to investigate.
In Maple Springs, the boys visit the survivor of an attack that killed his two brothers. Despite prompting from Sam and Dean, he describes an ordinary man as the killer – not a werewolf.
The next victim is a woman who was attacked when she and her boyfriend got lost in the woods, and were offered pie by a seemingly sweet old lady – who then proceeded to drug and attack them, viciously stabbing the woman’s boyfriend. When Sam and Dean question her, she reports seeing a young girl at the window of the house.
Sam and Dean check the old lady’s house, and find high EMF readings, indicating a spirit of some sort was present. Sam speculates that the cases resembles fairy tales – the three brothers as the Three Little Pigs, and the woman and her boyfriend as Hansel and Gretel – and that maybe a spirit is controlling the people involved in the murders.
Dean is skeptical, but they then see a pumpkin and some mice outside a house. Inside, just as in Cinderella, they find a young woman whose step-mother has suddenly chained and beaten her. Dean sees the spectre of a young girl, when he follows her she disappears, but leaves behind a red apple.
The boys start trying to find a girl who may have gone missing, or been killed in the area, but to no avail. They return to the hospital to check for children there, and find that one of the staffs, Dr. Garrison, has a daughter, Callie, who has been in a coma since she was eight. They find him reading fairy tales to a young woman, who looks exactly like an older version of the spirit Dean saw. They find out that she swallowed bleach which led to her condition, and speculate that she was poisoned by her step-mother, and that her spirit has become increasingly enraged, and is acting out fairy tales in an attempt to get attention.
Another victim is brought to the hospital - an old woman whose granddaughter has disappeared. Fearing another attack, Dean takes off to find her, leaving Sam to explain their suspicions to Dr. Garrison. He rejects Sam’s assertions at first, but does admit his daughter’s spirit has appeared to him.
Meanwhile, Dean finds the young girl, but is attacked by the man who has kidnapped her.
Dr. Garrison is distraught by Sam’s story that his wife may have poisoned his daughter, but when Callie’s spirit appears and confirms it, he accepts the truth. At that moment, his daughter dies, and the spirit disappears, now at rest. The man attacking Dean returns to his normal self, confused as to what has happened.
As Sam and Dean farewell Dr. Garrison, he regrets that he couldn’t let Callie go earlier, something Dean suggests that Sam needs to do.
That night Sam sneaks out of the motel room, and summons the crossroads demon. She taunts him, suggesting part of him will be relieved when Dean dies. He threatens her with the Colt, but she explains that killing her won’t break Dean’s deal, as the contract is held by a demon more powerful than her. Sam shoots her anyway – killing the demon and the young woman it was possessing.
Featured Supernatural BeingEdit
- This particular crossroad demon appeared last in the Season 2 finale. This episode marks her final appearance on the show.
- Crowley is mentioned for the first time in the series, albeit not by name. He makes his on-screen debut in Season 5 as a recurring character, working alternately as ally and enemy to The Winchester Family for the following seasons.
- The Colt was repaired in the previous episode and is returned to the Winchesters.
- Ruby was mentioned in this episode. She was last seen in the previous episode.
- The crossroad demon was played by Sandra McCoy, who was Jared Padalecki's girlfriend when the episode first aired.
- Sam killing the crossroad demon--and thus her vessel--is the third ruthless act he committed since his resurrection (the first being murdering Jake Talley and the second being killing the demonically possessed Father Gil and Casey).
- The tale of Hansel and Gretel would later be proven true, when the Winchesters encounter Hansel and Katja.
- The surviving victim of the first shown attack by the Big Bad Wolf, Kyle, and his doctor, Dr. Garrison, both share names with characters from Comedy Central's Southpark.
Dean: "I'm gonna go stop the Big Bad Wolf. Which is the weirdest thing I've ever said."
Dean: "Dude, could you be more gay? Don’t answer that."
Dean: "Actually those guys were a little chubby. Well, wait, I thought those things ended with, uh, everybody living happily ever after?" Sam: No, no. Not the originals. See the Grimm Brothers' stuff was kinda the folklore of its day, full of sex, violence, cannibalism. Now, it got sanitized over the years, turned into Disney flicks and bedtime stories.
- During Dean's fight with the man that was the Big Bad Wolf, several animal sounds could be heard. Several of these were big cat sounds such as a cougar roaring, and low growling.
- When describing the two dead brothers, he says they were "DOA on the scene;" Dead on Arrival on the scene.