Captives is the 14th episode of Season 9. It aired on February 25th, 2014.
|There was something about being there... It felt pure.|
This episode summary is an official CW press release. It may contain errors.
DO NOT CHANGE!
Sam and Dean are stunned to discover the Men of Letters' bunker is haunted. Their investigation leads them to a storage facility where the demons have been keeping a prize possession. Meanwhile, Castiel is captured by Bartholomew (guest star Adam Harrington).
In the Men of Letters bunker, something makes the lights flicker. It moves through the bunker towards Dean's room, where he is listening to music with eyes closed until the presence interferes with his radio. Sam hears him scream and runs to investigate, but finds Dean's bed empty. He notices the flashing lights and goes to the armory to get a sword, and then heads to the main room. As Sam searches the room, the image moves towards him ... and dissipates as Dean shoots it.
The brothers try to figure out how the bunker could be haunted, and Sam comments that since there had been no signs previously, it had to be due to a recent death. Dean insists that it can not be Kevin. As they talk, the coffee maker suddenly starts making a ringing noise like a correct answer on a game show and a cup explodes.
An angel attends a funeral. As it finishes, he walks away and Castiel confronts him. The angel, named Elijah, insists that he was there to attend the funeral of Rebecca, the angel who possessed the deceased. Castiel says that Rebecca was a friend of Metatron, but Elijah insists that their friendship was over long ago. Elijah explains that Rebecca left the politics of Heaven and started her own faction, the Penitents. They live humbly among humans and stay out of the war, but Bartholomew killed her anyway.
Sam and Dean scan for EMF activity, and suggest that Kevin is still trying to penetrate the veil. Dean looks at the coffee in the kitchen and calls Kevin. He gets no response then tries to apologize because Kevin died on his watch. As Dean says it was his fault, he closes his eyes in grief and misses the lights flickering again. Sam reenters after seeing the lights from the hallway, and Kevin appears. At first he thinks he's still invisible, but then realizes that Dean can see him. He explains that heaven is closed and all who have died since the fall are stuck in the Veil near where they died, unable to cross over.
Kevin asks them to find his mother. When Dean points out that she is likely dead, Kevin explains that he made contact with another newcomer, Candy, who saw Linda a week ago, alive in Wichita. As Kevin vanishes, he tells Dean that's how he can do the right thing for him.
As Castiel leaves the cemetery, two angels confront him and demand to know where Eliah is. Castiel says he left. Recognizing Castiel, the angels tell him Bartholemew has been looking for him.
Sam and Dean arrive at a forest in Wichita, where Candy died. Dean brings out a radio and the coffee maker, thinking they will help them get in touch with Candy as it worked with Kevin.
Meanwhile, Castiel is waiting in Bartholomew's office. When the angel arrives, he takes Castiel's sword "as a security precaution" and then hugs Castiel in greeting. By nightfall, Candy hasn't arrived. Dean leaves a message on Crowley's voicemail and Sam points out that he's left several, but Crowley isn't talking to him. Just then, the radio emits static and Candy speaks through it.
Bartholomew talks about the old days when Castiel led the forces of Heaven ... including Bartholomew. He speaks bitterly about Castiel being promoted and praised, while he got nothing. Castiel reminds him that he gained an ugly reputation after torturing prisoners, and Bartholomew explains that he was ordered to kill and that he followed orders. Now he is the one giving orders.
The Winchesters listen to Candy on the radio. She says she was locked in a cell next to Linda. She describes a metal door and figure she is describing a storage unit. Two men held her there; she doesn't know who they are, but describes one of them like Crowley, who told her she was worth more alive than dead. Soon Crowley stopped coming, and it was just the other man. Taking a risk, Candy attacked him and escaped into the nearby woods, only to be killed. Candy does not know what happened to Linda after she escaped, and hopes for her sake that she is dead. In the storage unit, Linda cowers when her captor comes into her cell.
Dean and Sam investigate, checking nearby storage facilities. Sam discovers that Candy was maintained by a congressman, and realize that Crowley was holding both Candy and Linda as leverage. Dean weakly defends Crowley, pointing out that Crowley wanted them alive; it was the other demon who killed Candy. Sam comments on this, and Dean backtracks, saying that he's just trying to talk it out.
Bartholomew explains how he took over Buddy Boyle Ministries Inc., and when Castiel asks if that means all the humans are dead he explains that Buddy and his colleagues are used as vessels. Castiel wonders if Bartholomew wants him dead, and Bartholomew insists they are friends and points out that Castiel would be dead if he wanted it. Noting that Castiel will not find Metatron on his own, Bartholomew says that he wants the same; he killed the Penitents rather than letting them become a greater threat in the future. He insists that he find will Metatron first and suggests that Castiel ally with him.
Sam and Dean check out a nearby storage unit and demand to see the records. The employee, Del, tells his coworker to bring out the rental binder. While Dean goes through it, Sam sees a map of the facility and called Dean over. He notes that there are three adjacent units along Corridor Q and the records show that they are all rented to a D. Webster. The employees listen and say that the same man is renting another unit on the other side of the facility. Dean goes to check it out with the employee while Sam goes to check out the three units. Dean goes to the other unit, while Sam opens one of the unites in Corridor Q to find Linda. She says they have to leave before her captor returns. Before they can, the door closes trapping Sam. Sam realizes there is a camera on the wall. In the other storage unit, the employee is using his iPod to watch Sam and Linda through the camera. Dean finds nothing and realize that is not Crowley's unit, then gets hit from behind.
Bartholomew brings Castiel to his command center, where he has followed Metatron's rare appearances on Earth. Castiel suggests that instead of waiting, they lure Metatron down; Bartholomew congratulates him on his insight. Two of the agents bring Elijah into the room and Bartholomew says he will torture the rebel and find out what he knows.
Sam unchains Linda, and she points out the electrical installation. She starts trying to bypass the lock on the door and asks if Kevin is in a safe place, and Sam lies and says she did. However, Sam finally prepares himself and begins to tell the truth. Linda, realizing what he is about to say, interrupts and says that Sam will take her to Kevin.
Dean wakes up and realizes he is tied up next to the body of one of the employees. The other demon is bleeding the body into a bowl to call Crowley. He explains that he has been left alone and Crowley has been ignoring him. Dean is in agreement with him, noting that Crowley will be angry because he attacked Dean who is allied with Crowley. Believing Dean, the demon announces that he's not working for Crowley anymore.
Bartholomew tortures Elijah, who insists that the rest of the Penitents are dead. Castiel says he has finally had enough and Bartholomew agrees, and tells Castiel to kill the prisoner. When Castiel hesitates, Bartholomew explains that his bosses ordered him to kill the captives all those years ago, and they knew Castiel would not. Bartholomew says that since then, Castiel has killed thousands of angels. He wants proof that Castiel can do what needs to be done. Castiel realizes that he never was free to go and the angel gives Bartholemew his sword, saying the he realized the choice was obey or die, and he made his choice. Bartholomew expresses his sorrow and kills Elijah.
The demon cuts Dean, thanking him for reminding him who he is. Just before he stabs Dean, Sam arrives and knocks the demon unconscious.
Bartholomew loosens his tie, and hits Castiel. Castiel refuses to fight, insisting that the angels have to stop fighting angels. Bartholemew grabs the sword and attacks Castiel, who manages to disarm him and holds the blade in the throat. Bartholomew says to do it, but Castiel throws him down instead. Bartholemew asks what faction he belongs to now, and whether he's a Penitent or not, but Castiel says simply that he's nothing. When Bartholomew steals another sword and tries to stab Castiel, Castiel twists the blade around and kills his former follower. Castiel tells the guard angels to step aside, and walks out.
Sam and Dean tie up the demon and allow Linda to stab him. She then gives the knife back to Dean and tells him to take her to her son. Back in the bunker, Sam and Dean call Kevin. His spirit materializes and the brothers tell him that Linda is alive and is right behind them. She enters and tearfully greets him. Later, she shows Dean a ring belonging to Kevin's father, who died when he was young, and figures that the spirit of Kevin is attached to it. She plans to bring it home with her. Dean warns that ghosts trapped in the veil can go wrong, but Linda insists it is her job to keep Kevin safe.
Castiel goes to the cemetery and apologizes to Rebecca for causing the chaos. Three angels that served Bartholemew approach, and ask him to lead them. Kevin tells Sam and Dean that he will not let his mother out of his sight. Before Kevin goes, he makes the brothers promise that they will bury the hatchet and make up. Once they're gone, Dean goes to Sam only to find that Sam has left. The brothers go their separate ways and slam their doors. Dean puts on headphones and furiously plays loud music.
- Adam J. Harrington as Bartholomew
- Dustin Schwartz as Elijah
- James Immekus as Del
- Lina Roessler as Candy
- Brendan Riggs as Barry
Featured Supernatural BeingsEdit
- Angels (Bartholomew and Elijah)
- Crossroad Demon (Crowley, unseen and mentioned)
- Demons (Del)
- Ghosts (Kevin Tran)
- It has been one month since the events of First Born.
- Linda Tran previously appeared in Season 8's A Little Slice Of Kevin.
- Kevin Tran previously appeared in Holy Terror.
- The angel Rebecca appears in this episode in the form of her tombstone.
- Buddy Boyle, who appeared in I'm No Angel, is revealed to be dead.
- Mr. Tran is mentioned for the first time in this episode.
- This episode marks the last appearance of Linda Tran.
- Dean and Sam's rooms are numbered 22 and 23 respectively.
- Metatron was spotted in 3 states; Washington, Michigan and Georgia.
- Kevin claims that he and every human who has died since the fall as been stuck in the Veil; however, when Charlie Bradbury was briefly killed it was said that she was in Heaven.
- Lonely is the Night by Billy Squier
- Dean refers to the storage locker employee Del as the funky homosapien, a reference to the real-life rapper, Del the Funky Homosapien.
- Dean and Sam use the aliases; Agents Nicks and McVie, a reference to Stevie Nicks and Christine McVie from Fleetwood Mac.
- Bartholomew says "resistance is futile" to Castiel which is a reference to the Borg from various Star Trek shows.
- Dean: Kevin, I'm sorry. You did not choose this life. You busted your ass, you lost everything, everyone you loved, and your reward? Getting killed. On my watch. That was on me. It was my fault. And there's nothing I can do to make that right. I am so sorry.
- Kevin: This is not happening. I did not spend months struggling to break through the veil just to get stuck listening to Dean Winchester having a self-pity session. Like I didn't hear enough of those when I was alive.
- Dean: [to Kevin] Why aren't you in Heaven? I mean, if anybody deserves an express pass to paradise...
- Kevin: Heaven's closed for business. Everybody who's died since the angels fell, we're just stuck inside the veil, waiting. And it's bad in here. Like, DMV line times infinity bad.
- Sam: [about Crowley] Really, Dean? That's your third unanswered voicemail. Do you ever think, maybe he's just not that into you?
- Dean: Yes, he is a flaming douche, but at least we know he's real, which is more than we can say for this Candy No-Show.
- Castiel: Angels fighting angels has to stop somewhere. It might as well stop with me.
- Linda Tran: He's my son. It's my job to keep him safe for as long as I can.
- Dean [to Kevin]: You can thank us when we get you to Heaven where you belong. Until then, enjoy spending time with your mom. The uninterrupted, 24/7, no-escape quality time.
- Kevin: Before I go, can you guys promise me something? Can you two get over it? Dudes, just cuz you couldn't see me doesn't mean I couldn't see you. The drama, the fighting? It's stupid. My mom's taking home a ghost. You two, you're both still here.
- Del Do it. Kill me.
- Sam No, we're saving you for someone else.
- Del [worried] Crowley?
- Sam [smiles] Much worse.
[hands the demon-killing knife to Linda as she enters]
- Dean Do the honors, Ms. Tran?
- Linda With pleasure.
- Del [fearful] Hey, lady. I swear, I was just following ord-
[Linda kills him mid-sentence]