|Charlene "Charlie" Bradbury|
|Season(s)||7, 8, 9|
|Status||Alive (Stopping the Rebellion in Oz with Dorothy)|
IT employee at RRE (former)
Woman of Letters
|Affiliation:|| Winchester Brothers|
Woman of Letters
|Family||Gertrude Middleton (mother) †|
|Portrayed by:||Felicia Day|
Charlene "Charlie" Bradbury is a hacker-turned-hunter. She helped Sam and Dean find out what Dick Roman was searching for. Her name was an alias, and had started a new life at least once before. Initially hired by Richard Roman Enterprises Dick gave her an assignment to hack Frank Deveraux's hard drive, Roman kept her alive since she possessed a certain "spark" that the Leviathans were unable to copy. After killing the Wicked Witch, she decided to join Dorothy in freeing Oz from evil control.
Charlie is an I.T. expert who worked for Richard Roman Enterprises before being introduced to the Leviathans. She's a lesbian, has a taste for electro pop and left politics, and is a keen gamer and fangirl. Her favorite series include Harry Potter, The Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones and Star Wars. She describes herself as being "completely obsessed" and is highly intelligent. She also admits to having a problem with authority and as such sometimes hacks websites to express this. Charlie is also shown to be openly flirtatious. Despite being intelligent and very interested in the world of the supernatural, Charlie is somewhat timid, and is easily intimidated when facing opponents who could kill her, as well as anything generally supernatural or dangerous. However, she normally manages to overcome her fears to do what's right or necessary. She also commonly uses geek speak and slang. She has a sibling-like relationship with the brothers, like when Dean called her "the little sister I never wanted."
Charlie is an employee of Richard Roman Enterprises. During her free time, she exploits her hacking skills and makes donations to charities in the names of big companies. Dick Roman knows of her computer prowess, and seeks her out to hack into Frank Deveraux's hard drive. She completes the job in under twenty-four hours. When she sees a file labeled "Richard Roman Enterprises" her curiosity gets the better of her, and she opens it to see all of Frank's data on Dick. She thinks she has "hacked her way into a loony bin" until she sees her boss get eaten by a Leviathan.
She goes home and is about to flee when Sam and Dean appear. They convince her they aren't Leviathan, and enlist her help in keeping the contents of the hard drive safe from Dick and have her read his emails to find out what he's looking for on his archeological digs. She bravely returns to the company, flirts her way through a male guard to Dick's computer, despite the difficulty that entails, as she is a lesbian, and retrieves the emails before returning to her desk to wipe Frank's drive. She soon discovers while reading his emails that whatever Dick was looking for in the digs has been found and is due to arrive at the airport that day. Sam and Dean, masquerading as workers, switch the package for an identical one containing a borax bomb. Charlie almost gets out of the building, but Dick realizes what she's been doing when the bomb goes off, and locks the building down. Sam, Dean, and Bobby's ghost save the day, though Charlie does break her arm.
At the end, she flies away, promises to disappear, not for the first time, apparently, and tells the boys never to contact her again.
After Richard Roman Enterprises is taken down, Charlie returns to the country. She lives normally for a year as she becomes more and more popular on the land of Moondoor, a Live-Action Role-Playing game, and eventually she is named the in-game Queen. Everything fares well until two of her subjects go missing, and found dead by the police. Sam and Dean look into both deaths and, upon discovering she was in the game, decide to seek her help.
Charlie is initially quite reluctant to get anywhere near the Winchester brothers again, claiming she wants to keep on living, but when they reveal that her missing friends died, she decides to help them to prevent any more deaths. She and Dean ask around about the strange mark on the victims while Sam does computer research.
Eventually, they discover that the deaths were due to a fairy bound by a LARPer Gerry using a spell from the Book of Spells. With the help of the Winchesters, Charlie destroyed the book, freeing the fairy Gilda and preventing Gerry from harming more people.
Later, Charlie came to Dean and Sam's place after finding a "case" for them. Later it is implied that it was actually a lie, and that she needed an excuse to be in the town. Charlie helped distract Dr.O'Brien at the morgue, while Dean and Sam later look at the victim's body. After finding out that the thing that was liquefying victims was a djinn, she was kidnapped by one of the djinns while donating money to help a woman named Gertrude Middleton. Charlie was duct taped to a chair when the djinn touched her, put her in a coma, while her insides were liquefying. Dean entered her dreams via dream root, where she was trying to kill vampires. During this point, it is later revealed that the mystery woman is later to be her mother, and that the real reason she's in town is because of her. Charlie is told by Dean to let her mother go, so that they can return back to the real world. After Dean saves her life, she read to her mother for the last time, and leaves, finally letting her go. She then tells Sam and Dean goodbye, and later tells Dean she loves him; he replies "I know."
By Slumber Party, Charlie had become a full-fledged hunter, having completed cases of her own but only as a hobby. Her cases included those involving a ghost and a teenage vampire. Despite being a part-time hunter, she felt her life was incomplete and wanted to find a quest of her own. Charlie was called in by Sam and Dean to use an ancient computer they found in an effort to find all of the angels in the world. Charlie hacked the computer and downloaded all of the Men of Letters files, but later came into conflict with The Wicked Witch when she was accidentally released by Dean. Charlie worked with Dorothy to hunt the witch, interested in Dorothy from the Oz books she read as a child. Charlie is killed by the Witch, but Dean has Gadreel (in the guise of Ezekiel) resurrect her which Charlie later agrees to keep secret. Dorothy claims that Charlie went to Heaven, however this is not possible, since Heaven is closed for all souls. The Wicked Witch could have possibly put Charlie in a deep sleep like state, where she would dream she was spending Christmas with her family. Charlie comes up with the idea to use poppy extract bullets to stun the Witch and realizes that the books were written by L. Frank Baum to give Dorothy clues on how to deal with the Witch. Thanks to Charlie's revelation, Dorothy realizes that the Ruby Slippers can be used to kill the Witch. While Dorothy holds off a possessed Sam and Dean, Charlie goes after the Witch and kills her with the Slippers as she summons her army to Earth. Charlie manages to shut the door to Oz just in time and later joins Dorothy in going back to Oz to free it as it gives her the chance to experience all that she has ever wanted to. However, while she agrees to keep her resurrection a secret from Sam, she demands that Dean give her an explanation later.
- She has a close relationship with Sam and Dean. Dean has jokingly said that Charlie is "The sister I never wanted".
- She is 28 years old as of the episode 'Pac-Man Fever', where it states that she was 12 when her parents were involved in a car accident, and her mother has been on life-support for the past 16 years.
- She tells the brothers that Charlie Bradbury is not really her name. The first name comes from Charlene McGee, the major character in the novel Firestarter, while the surname "Bradbury" comes from Ray Bradbury, author of Fahrenheit 451 and The Martian Chronicles among others.
- According to writer Robbie Thompson, Charlie's aliases are made up of the name of a Stephen King character for her first name and the surname of a famous science fiction writer.
- She later uses the alias "Carrie Heinlein". The first name comes from Carrie White, the title character and protagonist of the novel Carrie, while the surname comes from Robert A. Heinlein, author of Starship Troopers and Stranger in a Strange Land.
- She also has the alias "Annie Tolkien". The surname comes from J. R. R. Tolkien, author of the Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Hobbit.
- Another alias of hers is "Christine K. Le Guin". The surname comes from Ursula K. Le Guin, author of the Earthsea fantasy series and the Hainish science fiction series.
- Yet another alias of hers is "Susan Asimov". The surname comes from Isaac Asimov, author of the Foundation series, the Galactic Empire trilogy, and the Robot series.
- Her real surname appears to be Middleton, as her mother's name is Gertrude Middleton.
- She is avid fan of many things in pop culture.
- Charlie's alias's give insight into what she likes to read like Stephen King, Ray Bradbury, Issac Asimov, J. R. R. Tolkien, Ronert A. Heilein, and Ursula K. Le Guin. Many of these are science fiction or fantasy writers.
- She is a Lord of the Rings fan, as she refers Dick Roman giving her an assignment as having "the Eye of Sauron" as watching her. She also said that her mother read her The Hobbit when she was young.
- She is also a Star Wars fan and has a tattoo, which she got at Comic Con while drunk, of Princess Leia in a slave girl bikini astride a 20-sided dice.
- She also seems to be a Star Trek fan as she gives the Vulcan Salute to Sam and Dean often when she is leaving.
- She has a collection of figurines and posters, both at home and had at her work at Roman Enterprises. Her favorite seems to be one of Hermione Granger, her favorite Harry Potter character, which she refers to as "H". When she was scared to help Sam and Dean the time they met, Sam asked her what would Herminone do and this helped Charlie overcome her fear.
- She is the fourth character in the series and second female character to be named Charlie.
- Charlie is a lesbian. Her and Dean seem to have a similar taste in women.
- Charlie said that she went to a convention in Topeka, Kansas. The showdown between Michael and Lucifer was between there and Lawrence.
- She was revealed to be a good marksman in Pac-Man Fever, as she landed two shots squarely to a targets head when Dean was trying to test whether she would be good in the field. It is unknown where she learned to handle firearms.
- The future of Charlie is left unknown as she is now in Oz helping Dorothy fight the witch's army.
- In "Slumber Party" Charlie says she killed a teenage vampire as one of her hunts. This may be a reference to Felica Day's previous role as a Vampire Slayer on Buffy the Vampire Slayer.