|Title||Dead Man's Blood|
|Airdate||April 20, 2006|
|Written by|| Cathryn Humphris|
|Directed by||Tony Wharmby|
|Guests|| Jeffrey Dean Morgan as John Winchester |
Warren Christie as Luther
|Episode list||Season 1|
An old man, Daniel Elkins, sits scribbling in his journal, drinking Jack in a bar in Manning, Colorado. A group of people enter and catch Elkins’ attention. After leaving the bar in a hurry, Elkins is confronted by the woman leading the group he saw earlier. To defend himself, Elkins attempts to load an old 5 shot Colt. However, after a struggle he is murdered.
In a diner somewhere in Nebraska Sam and Dean are looking over news stories for a job, when they read about Elkins' death. Dean recognizes the name from John Winchester's Journal and they head west. Arriving at Elkins' cabin, the boys find it ransacked and in chaos, but in the darkness, they are being watched. Amongst the wreckage Dean finds not only a journal, a lot like their father's, but also a message. A combination to a post office box. A mail drop, just the way their father does it.
Opening the post office box they find a letter addressed to "J.W.". They are startled by the surprise appearance of John Winchester, their father. Reading the letter, he realizes that Elkins had been holding out on him about a legendary gun, a Colt made in 1835. Questioning the boys he realizes that whatever attacked Elkins has taken the gun. He tells them it's Vampires, and they will hunt them together.
As Sam and Dean sleep, John listens to a police scanner. He hears of an abandoned car left by a young couple after making a 911 call. Rousing the boys, they take off to investigate. Sam questions John, but John just asks Sam to follow him. When they reach the location of the abandoned car, Sam is bridling at John’s dominating attitude and is constantly questioning his father's orders. Dean is frustrated by the reoccurring old arguments that drove the family apart.
Meanwhile, back at the vampire nest, Kate presents her gifts taken from Elkins to her mate, Luther. Horrified that she killed the old man, even if it was to avenge his family, he states, "Revenge isn’t worth much if you end up dead." He then recognizes the gun.
Another confrontation between Sam and John exposes the still seething anger existing between them. However, during their tracking of the Vampire family, John tells them about vampires and they can only be killed by beheading. After a moment, seemingly reluctant, he shares with them the details of what makes the Colt so special and why he needs it. Supposedly, it can kill anything which interests him greatly as it could be used to kill The Demon and avenge Mary Winchester.
While working together to attack the nest and look for the Colt, they are discovered before John can grab the gun, and end up running for their lives. John has an alternative plan and orders Dean to a funeral home to obtain Dead Man's Blood, a poison to vampires. While he's gone, Sam and John talk, mending fences in the process. They use the Dead Man's Blood to catch Kate in order to draw out Luther. John’s plan is to trade her for the Colt. Once again the Winchesters clash over John’s plan to exclude the boys from his final game plan, insisting they leave, to keep them safe. While the Luther and his vampires discover John and Kate and parley for the Colt, Sam and Dean invade the nest, killing the vampire left on watch and freeing the captives.
John’s plan is foiled and he is knocked out by Luther. However, before Luther can kill him, Sam and Dean attack, having ignored their father's orders to stay away. They take down the other vampires and distract Luther allowing John to grab the Colt and kill Luther by shooting him in the head. The gun works. It can kill supernatural beings with a bullet. Finally seeing the sense of the boys' argument, John agrees that now they have the Colt they will hunt the Demon together.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan - The House Is Rockin'
- Tito & Tarantula - Strange Face Of Love
- Brian Keith Nutter (Master Source)- Searching For The Truth
- Master Source - Trailer Trash
- The Colt makes its first appearence in the series. It is of interest to the Winchesters as it provides a means to kill The Demon.
- The Colt is supposed to be able to kill any supernatural creatures. However, its later revealed that there are five things it can't kill.
Featured Supernatural BeingsEdit
- It is revealed that Vampires in the series do not fear sunlight, nor crosses, and that stakes through the heart do nothing. The only way to kill them is by beheading. Dead man's blood, the title of the episode, is also like a poison to vampires.
- Once again, the history between Sam and John and their falling out arises. And Dean finds himself in the middle yet again, playing the voice of reason.
- Sarah is mentioned, Sam's love interest from Provenance.
Dean: "Vampires! Gets funnier every time I hear it..."
Luther: "Revenge isn’t worth much if you end up dead."
- Finnish: Vainajan veri (Blood of the Dead)
- French: Le Retour des vampires (The Return of the Vampires)
- German: Der Wunder-Colt (The Miraculous Colt)
- Italian: Una Pistola dal Passato (A Gun From The Past)
- Polish: Krew umarlaka (Goner's Blood)
- "Supernatural: "Dead Man's Blood" Review", IGN review.