Sam and Dean first encounter him when they find that the murders are connected to him. Exploring his house while Dean is distracting him Sam comes upon the tolls of witchcraft hidden in his wife's closet. Quizzing him about his wife he admits to the two that they are going through a rough patch due to his one-time affair and his wife took off a while ago for some breathing space. After leaving, the brothers surmise that Don is a normal human but has unknowingly married a witch who is taking out her fury on those involved in arranging her husband's affair.
After they visit him, Don goes to see Maggie, and the two talk. Then Don mentions how the two FBI agents visited him, and Maggie tells him that they're hunters. As he is leaving, he sees the statue of himself break due to Maggie's magic.
So Don decides to go after her. He uses his magic to ruin Maggie's paintings and kill her friend. Discovering the two are witches, Dean and Sam realize they have to stop them quickly before they tear the town apart in their war. They also find that the normal harmony between the two witches was actually beneficial to the town; making the area fertile and giving people good luck in business. Now that they are fighting the town is suffering from bad luck and crops are failing.
Maggie confronts Don about this, but Sam and Dean burst in trying to stop her but fail because ingredients for their spell were not properly prepared (not "chilled"). Maggie takes out Dean, and Don summons bees around Dean's head. But eventually he and Maggie work it out and let the boys go.
Don later saves Sam and Dean from a Leviathan by stunning him by unknown means. He had come to get Maggie's hex coins from their room as she was trying to kill them, because despite saving their marriage, the Winchesters did try to kill her.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Spell Casting - He's powerful enough to incapacitate Leviathans when caught off-guard and weaken them for days without much effort, as he did with Chet.
- Immortality: Being 800 years old Don has been shown to live much longer than typical humans. Don is even potentially immortal.
- James Marsters is best known for portraying the vampire Spike on the supernatural shows Buffy the Vampire Slayer and its spin-off Angel. Several actors from the two hit supernatural shows also appeared in Supernatural: Charisma Carpenter (Maggie Stark), Jeffrey Dean Morgan (John Winchester), Amber Benson (Lenore), Mercedes McNab (Lucy), Amy Acker (Andrea Barr), Julie Benz (Layla Rourke), Jack Plotnick (Ian), Harry Groener (Professor Morrison), John Rubinstein (Charlie), Felicia Day (Charlie Bradbury), Chad Lindberg (Ash), Tamara Braun (Cindy Cassity), Jack Conley (Sheriff Britton), Jeff Kober (Randall), Aldis Hodge (Jake Talley), Bryan Cuprill (George), Henri Lubatti (Bobby Singer's Reaper), Rob Benedict (Chuck), Mark Rolston (Alastair), Todd Stashwick (Dracula, Movie Monster Shapeshifter), Aimee Garcia (Nancy Fitzgerald), Brittany Ishibashi (Maggie Zeddmore), Megalyn Echikunwoke (Cassie), David Monahan (Father Thomas Gregory), Annie Wersching (Susan Thompson), Kristin Richardson (Jenny), David Mattey (Luther Garland), Ridge Canipe (young Dean Winchester), and Keith Szarabajka (Donatello Redfield).
- James Marsters shares with Charisma Carpenter and John Rubinstein the characteristic of appearing in the canon of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and then being cast on Supernatural as a witch.
- James Marsters and Charisma Carpenter are billed as "Special Guest Stars".
- Although they are not the first Buffyverse cast members to appear in the series (Jeffrey Dean Morgan being the first), they are the first and so far only ones to be billed as Special Guest Stars.
- Marsters and Carpenter are also the first two Buffyverse actors to appear this season, they were followed by Harry Groener (Professor Morrison, Mayor Richard Wilkins on Buffy) and lastly by Felicia Day (Charlie, Vion Buffy).
- When Don Stark is about to use his powers, it resembles the move for Kamehameha from the Dragon Ball series. James Marsters played Lord Piccolo in the movie Dragonball: Evolution.
- He shares his first name with another witch, Don Harding.