|“||"Your father made you and then abandoned you, so you pray. You see signs where there's nothing. But truth is, your Apocalypse came and went, and you didn't even notice. A mother would never abandon her children like he did. You'll see."||”|
Eve was a mysterious and powerful being known by the title of Mother of All. She was in the depths of Purgatory, until she was released by dragons and arrived on Earth using a young virgin girl as a vessel. Like the Leviathans, with whom she was related to, Eve was part of existence before angels, which gave her an advantage over them, being able to inhibit them from using their holy powers, and possibly kill them.
Eve created the Alphas, which were the first monsters of their allotted kind from whom their entire species descended from. She created a worm-like creature, which Dean dubbed the "Khan worm". She also recently did what she called "Beta testing", creating creatures that Dean named "Jefferson Starships," which were monster hybrids that she mass-produced. Her only known weakness was that of Phoenix ash. She was killed by Dean, who mixed the ashes in his drink earlier, and when she bit him to turn him into a monster, she ingested the ashes and died. Her essence and what comprised her mortal form presumably returned to Purgatory after her death.
Eve predated angels (except Archangels), which would dictate that she also existed before the creation of Hell, humans and Demons. Edgar stated that she was "barely one of them", and a "pathetic mutt", implying that she was part Leviathan, and even knew some of their higher ranking Leviathan. She created the Alphas, which were the first monsters of their allotted species. Eve was last on Earth around ten thousand years ago.
Crowley and Castiel began working together in order to find Purgatory and use the souls within as power; to this end, they needed to interrogate Eve for information. Crowley tortured and slaughtered various species of Alphas and monsters in an attempt to lure her to Earth.
Eventually, Crowley's gambit worked; an angered Eve ordered the Alphas to amass an army and arranged for her release with dragons, who abducted virginal women and used one as a sacrifice to summon her. She created new breeds of monsters, known colloquially as "Khan worm" and "Jefferson Starships," in attempt to create a new, "perfect" monster which she planned to infect the entire human race so that Crowley would be denied any souls. Several of her early experiments result in failure as the creatures died prematurely. However, she managed to succeed in Ryan Silver, an orphan boy whom the Winchesters "rescue"; Ryan later converted his brother and both attacked their uncle.
With Bobby Singer and Castiel waiting outside, the Winchesters entered the diner in which Eve was hiding and discovered that they were surrounded by hybrids and Eve herself. She took their weapons and detected Phoenix ash in the shotguns, so she handed them over to one of her children and ordered their immediate destruction.
Eve explained to the brothers the reason why she came to Earth and what she hoped to achieve; to emphasize her point, she shape shifted into the likeness of their deceased mother. Dean claimed that her arrival was pointless, as they believed that Crowley had already been killed months before, but she revealed that Crowley was indeed still alive torturing her children and searching for Purgatory.
Eve also informed them of the "perfect monster" she had created in Ryan Silver and of the mass-infection that they inadvertently helped spread. Her children then brought Castiel and Bobby into the diner.
Eve offered Sam and Dean the chance to work for her in capturing Crowley. Dean refused to work with a monster, however, and told her "bite me". She obliged, deciding to force them to obey her anyway by making them into her children, but was poisoned by Phoenix ash in his blood, as he had ingested it with a shot of whiskey.
Eve choked and burned from the inside before falling to the floor, dead. At once her children attacked the group, but with Eve no longer suppressing Castiel's powers, he effortlessly slew all the remaining monsters in the diner. Afterwards Castiel quickly healed Dean of the infection from Eve's bite. He then took the hunters to stop the Silvers, only to discover that demons sent by Crowley had already killed them.
Afterwards, Crowley recovered Eve's body and performed an autopsy. He was upset with Castiel for having allowed Dean to kill her, as they had lost their best chance at opening Purgatory.
Eve was sent back to Purgatory upon death.
In There Will Be Blood, the Alpha Vampire identifies himself as "a son of Eve." Edgar tells him that he knew Eve "and honestly, your mommy's a whore." This enrages the Alpha Vampire who attacks Edgar.
Eve's true appearance was not known; however, a glimpse of it on a video camera revealed a gray, withered, somewhat shadowed face. In her introduction, her eyes glowed a fiery yellow-orange, but in the said recording they were milky-white. Upon her death, her veins darkened and she bled watery black blood like Leviathans.
When Eve manifested on Earth, she possessed the body of a young brunette girl wearing a white dress whom two dragons offered up to her as tribute. She briefly took on the form of Mary Winchester. After death her body was collected by Crowley who began an autopsy. Crowley found that her vessel's interior body cavity was highly altered with the addition of an egg sac containing hundreds if not thousands of eggs. Her brain also apparently maintained the empathetic link with her children even after her physical body's death.
|“||"After all, a mother defends her children."||”|
in Mommy Dearest
Like Death, Eve was normally content to uphold the natural order in which monsters and humans killed each other in turn; however, when Crowley began capturing, torturing, and killing her children in droves, she decided to turn every human into a monster to deprive him of the power of any souls. She exhibited few emotions beyond serenity, but her decision to pose as a waitress merely to surprise Dean and Sam Winchester suggests that she had a sense of humor. She seemed to be upfront and honest when speaking with the Winchesters. She also had a mocking side to her sense of humor as she took their mother's form to taunt them.
Eve was largely apathetic towards the human race as a whole, but occasionally showed disdain or cruel amusement towards them. She began compelling even her benevolent children, such as Lenore, to kill or turn as many as possible against their will once she arrived on Earth, presumably to build her army. She went about trapping a bar filled with people, infecting some, and allowing the others to be killed while she watched on and casually sipped at a drink. However, she was initially willing to negotiate with the Winchesters if they agreed to help her capture Crowley.
When explaining what she had done to someone she had turned, Eve simply called her infection "a gift". She viewed herself as a loving mother with regards to all monsters descended from her. She was angered by Crowley's barbaric attempts to use her children to find Purgatory, and arranged to be summoned onto Earth in order to stop him. She also seems to look down on God, whom she claimed to know, for having abandoned his children, i.e. humankind, something she claims she would never do.
Powers and Abilities
Eve was very old and powerful, stronger than any monster, demon, or angel. Her power compared to that of the Leviathans is thoroughly unknown. However, being related to them, she shared some abilities with the Leviathans, notably a resistance to angelic powers and shapeshifting.
Eve was also one of the very few entities capable of creating new beings and one of the only beings with the rare ability of permanently altering souls to create monsters otherwise known as Fallen Beasts, a trait she passed on to all of her children. Eve also referred to the souls in Purgatory as her 'supply', implying she could draw on souls for power, not unlike angels and demons. She was considered as powerful as deities.
- Immortality - Eve was immortal and could not die of disease or old age. She referred to herself as being older than even the angels.
- Invulnerability - Conventional weapons and most mystic ones did not have any effect on Eve. The only known thing that could kill her was Phoenix ash, either by ingestion, being injected with it, or being shot with shotgun shells filled with the ashes.
- Flight - Once she took her vessel, she rose from Purgatory.
- Possession - In order to manifest on Earth, Eve required the use a vessel, and that vessel had to be a virgin girl.
- Advanced Biokinesis - She was able to create new species by mixing the other monster species. Eve, upon possessing her vessel, was also able to greatly alter her vessel's physical functions. The most notable traits were when her womb was altered to reproduce several hundreds of monster eggs. The other alteration was when even dead, monsters were linked to her cerebral cortex & could feel everything she felt, even if it was a small tingle.
- Conversion - She could turn humans into whatever kind of monster she desired, through physical contact, a bite, a kiss, or even a gentle touch. She apparently needed to perfect this ability when attempting to produce a new kind of monster, seeing as how a number of her creations died prematurely before she eventually succeeded in creating "the perfect monster." She dismissed these failures as "beta tests."
- Monster Birthing - As the Mother of All monsters, she can also give birth to them. This was seen during Crowley's autopsy of he deceased body, in which he found hundreds, if not thousands, of monster eggs in her womb.
- Regeneration - When she rose from Purgatory, Eve's arms and legs were covered in severe burns, however she later reappeared completely restored.
- Super strength - Her strength was far superior to humans, many earthly supernatural creatures and even regular angels and seraphim. She was confident enough to claim that she would take care of the demon Crowley if she was to find him. Humans were no threat to her in terms of bodily force. This was shown when she ripped a lock and handles from a door.
- Super speed - She could move at undetectable speeds for a human being. She displayed this by instantly running behind Dean.
- Teleportation - She could reappear in different locations at will.
- Shapeshifting - At one point, she modified her vessel's appearance to look and sound like Mary Winchester. Her shapeshifting was advanced to a degree seen only on few other creatures--the Alpha Shapeshifter, the Leviathans, and the Archangels.
- Telepathy - She was psychically linked to all monsters, allowing her to know what they do and speak to them through their minds and could communicate with her children even while imprisoned in Purgatory. According to her, she was aware of the hunters' arrival and intent to kill her before they met, and perceived Crowley torturing her children as though she were his victim instead. She could also read a human's mind, as she was capable of shapeshifting into Sam and Dean's mother despite never having seen her, and knew that she died to protect them.
- Compulsion - Using her mental link to her children, Eve could control the various monster lines and instill bloodlust in them, even over great distances including through dimensions as well, as seen when she compelled her many children even the more benevolent ones like Lenore to attack and turn as many humans as they could. She was residing in Purgatory at the time.
- Supernatural Senses - She possessed heightened senses. She managed to realize Dean and Sam were using Phoenix ashes by simply smelling the barrels of their shotguns.
- Angelic Power Negation - Due to her advanced age and knowledge, Eve was able to block angels from accessing their powers by 'unplugging' them as shown when she negated Castiel's abilities through her mere presence. Her overall knowledge over angels was extensive. She shares this ability with the Leviathans.
- Supernatural Concealment - Eve was able to conceal her presence from the watch of Castiel and any other angel. The protagonists had to rely on the willing testimony of a monster ally to know her whereabouts. Like Angelic Power Negation, this is an ability Eve shares with the Leviathans.
Eve is quite difficult to destroy; only a few weapons and forces are able to kill her.
- Phoenix ash - Ashes of a phoenix can kill Eve.
- Season 6
- Season 7
- Eve is the secondary antagonist for Season 6, having been a part of a Big Bad Ensemble for most of the season.
- Her name references the Biblical Eve, who is regarded as the mother of the human race in Abrahamic religions. According to executive producer and writer Ben Edlund, the name for Supernatural's Eve is also a pun on the "eve" (the day before a holiday) of monsters as both their genesis point and her goal of a world ruled by them.
- The episode Road Trip confirms that the biblical Adam and Eve did exist in the Supernatural Universe.
- Her character borrows the title "The Mother of All Monsters" from Echidna of Greek mythology.
- She is the second of four main antagonists to be killed by Dean Winchester, the first being Azazel, the third being Dick Roman and the fourth being Abaddon.
- Edgar said he knew Eve, referring to her as a "whore".
- She is implied to somehow be related to the Leviathans, seeing as when the Alpha Vampire stated, "We come from you" and "I am a son of Eve" in "There Will Be Blood" to Edgar, a Leviathan. Edgar, who claimed to have known Eve, does not deny the relationship between the two monster species, but he downplayed it, saying the Mother of All was a "mutt" and that the monsters she created only "barely" qualified as being related to the Leviathans. As such, it is implied Eve was a hybrid or a mutated offshoot of the Leviathan. She, in fact, shares many similarities with them: both Eve and the Leviathans are the only ones of God's creatures known to predate angels, and both are capable of suppressing angelic powers; both can shapeshift and both bleed black blood. However, unlike the Leviathans, Eve did not require the DNA of the being whose form she copied in order to shapeshift, and her blood was more watery than Leviathan goo.
- Eve also appeared to have reciprocated Edgar's disposition towards her, as Eve considered her newly created children to be the "perfect beasts", despite the existence of the physically superior Leviathan.
- Even after her death, her body still produced new monster eggs.
- The book Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting reveals that she had created the five swords that are able to kill Dragons to prevent them from growing too powerful and wiping out their "siblings".
- She was the only known supernatural entity apart from angels, demons, and Leviathan to require a vessel to manifest on earth.
- Despite taking a vessel, her true visage or at least a portion of it could be revealed on a camera recording.
- Her latest offspring remain linked to her, as shown when Crowley chopped into her dead brain and a nearby vampire was agonized.
- Though not actually stated, it is implied that Eve has either met or seen Jesus, even though she claims he was just a man, though this seems unlikely, as before 2011 she hadn't been on earth for ten thousand years.
- On the other hand, she might have absorbed this information from one of her children who may have encountered Jesus.
- Since it has been told how to kill her in a book and she confirms that the ashes can kill her it's very possible that she had already died before some time ago with the use of Phoenix ashes.
- In addition to the Greek Echidna, as mentioned above, Eve also strongly resembles the Babylonian Tiamat, though she claims to have visited Earth more than 6,000 years before the founding of the first Babylonian dynasties (1894 B. C. E.), and the Semitic Lilith, not to be confused with the character of the same name.
- Dean described Eve as the wicked witch. The actual Wicked Witch would eventually appear in a later episode.
- In the non-canon novel Supernatural: Night Terror, Sam theorizes that Eve used Night Hags or similar creatures to create many of her monsters.