Folsom Prison Blues is the 19th episode of Season 2. It premiered on April 26th, 2007.
|There was something about being there... It felt pure.|
This episode summary is an official CW press release. It may contain errors.
DO NOT CHANGE!
After hearing about a ghost that has been killing off inmates one by one, Sam and Dean decide the best way to investigate this spirit is from the inside and allow themselves to get thrown into the state penitentiary. However, after FBI agent Henricksen (guest star C. Malik Whitfield) shows up to take over their case, getting out of prison becomes a bigger challenge than finding the spirit.
An old marine buddy of John Winchester and current prison warden, Deacon, asks Sam and Dean for help. Not long after a disused cell block was re-opened, something supernatural started killing people - prisoners and guards - in the Green River County Detention Center.
The boys get themselves arrested so as to get inside the jail. However, their arrest is complicated by the arrival of FBI Agent Henriksen, who has continued tracking the boys since the bank heist they were involved with in Milwaukee. The Public Defender, Mara Daniels, appointed to defend the brothers reviews their case and is immediately suspicious that they have been wrongly accused of many crimes.
Inside the prison, Dean fits right in, drawing on his extensive knowledge of prison life from movies such as The Great Escape. When a fight lands Dean in solitary, he gets to witness the supernatural killer first-hand when it attacks another prisoner. Sam discovers that a notorious killer, Mark Moody, was killed in the old cell block and traces of his blood may be tying the spirit to the prison.
After winning cigarettes playing cards, Dean trades them for lighter fluid. Combined with the salt supplied with their meals they have the means to banish the spirit. Dean picks a fight with a con called Tiny, allowing Sam to slip away to the old cell block and torch a blood-soaked mattress.
Whilst Dean and Tiny are recovering from their wounds in the prison infirmary, Dean is attacked by the apparition of a nurse. He manages to ward it off with some salt, but the ghost kills Tiny. Sam and Dean find out that the ghost belongs to Nurse Dolores Glockner, who used to kill prisoners in the infirmary, and who was later killed herself during a riot.
Dean tries to get Mara Daniels to find out where Nurse Glockner is buried, and to convince her of his innocence, but she refuses. Dean argues with Sam that they must stay in the prison until they get the information and finish the job, but Sam insists they follow through with their pre-planned escape. They start fighting and one of the guards hauls them away.
The guard turns out to be Deacon. It turns out Mara did the research as Dean requested, and Deacon hands over the information on where she is buried. As arranged, Deacon helps the boys escape to the Impala which is waiting outside the jail.
After the escape, Henriksen interrogates Deacon and finds out that Daniels passed information to the boys, which she reluctantly reveals under pressure. Meanwhile, the boys are in a cemetery salting and burning Nurse Glockner's remains. Cut to Deacon in the prison bathroom, where he is assaulted by Glockner's ghost. Back in the cemetery the FBI arrive, only to find they have been sent to the wrong cemetery. The boys manage to burn Nurse Glockner's body just in time to save Deacon.
As Dean and Sam are getting back into the Impala, Sam says, "Man, you thought we were screwed before". Dean says they "gotta go deep this time" and Sam sarcastically remarks that they should go as deep as Yemen. Dean drives off, with Sam in the Impala next to him.
- Charles Malik Whitfield as Victor Henriksen
- Kurt Evans as Calvin Reidy
- Garwin Sanford as Deacon
- Clif Kosterman as Tiny
- Bridget Ann White as Mara Daniels
- Andee Frizzell as Dolores Glockner
Featured Supernatural BeingsEdit
- Dean says to Sam "You from Texas all of a sudden?" Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles were actually both raised in Texas, San Antonio and Dallas respectively.
- Even though the episode is named after the Johnny Cash song, it is never featured in the episode.
- "Rooster" by Alice in Chains
- "Green Onions" by Booker T And The M.G.s
- Dean: [to Tiny]"Because you know they're just donuts. They're not love"
[while taking mug shots]
- Dean: I call this one the blue steel. [squints his eyes and gives a look to the camera]
- Photographer: "To the right"
- Photographer: "Okay, back to the line out."
- Dean: "Hey, who looks better? Me or Nick Nolte?"
- Photographer: "Shut up."
- Sam: "You sure it's him?"
- Dean: "I'm pretty sure."
- Sam: "Dean, considering our circumstance I'm going to need a little better than pretty sure."
- Dean: "I'm really pretty sure."
- Finnish: Kalteritango (Tango Behind Bars)
- French: Les Taulards (The Prisonners)
- German: Hinter Gittern (Behind Bars)
- Polish: Blues w więzieniu Folsom (Blues in Folsom Prison)