Free To Be You And Me is the 3rd episode of Season 5. It aired on September 24th, 2009.
Sam decides to stop hunting but has a hard time after he receives a surprise visit. Dean and Castiel try to find the Archangel Raphael in their bid to find God and stop the Apocalypse.
Sam is sleeping by himself in a motel room. When he turns, he sees his long dead girlfriend Jessica. Sam tells Jessica that he misses her so much and Jess asks Sam why he is running away. Sam tells her that he thinks he's a freak, but Jess tells him that it isn't true, and Sam ignores her saying he knows he has a 'big' darkness inside him.
One week earlier, Sam and Dean are living their separate ways. The scene flashing back and forth between Dean hunting - interviewing, killing vampires, cleaning up - and Sam trying to make a normal life for himself - burning his fake IDs and getting a job as a busboy in a local bar.As Dean cleans up his bloody jacket, Castiel appears behind him. He explains to Dean that they need to find God and the only one who can help them is the Archangel Raphael, the very same angel that killed Cass. Dean wonders if this is actually for revenge, but goes along with it after some discussion. Castiel claims he has no one else to help him, and Dean is crucial to the plan because no angel would bring harm to him, Michael's vessel. At the Hoyt’s Bar, a waitress, Lindsey, shows interest in Sam, who is using the name Keith. She tries to pry information out of him, finally challenging him to a game of darts, her prize being his life story told to her over dinner. To get her off his back, he quickly wins the game, then turns to the TV news report, where he sees calamity resulting from the weather. The bartender remarks, "Damn. Is it me or does it seem like it's the end of the world?" Back in his motel room, Sam researches websites about the book of Revelations. He calls Bobby to alert him, but refuses to be the hunter to take care of things when asked. Castiel and Dean arrive at the police station in Waterville, Maine to get information about the location of Raphael's vessel from an officer who witnessed a battle between Raphael and some demons. Castiel wants to be honest with the witness, but Dean convinces him to go in disguised as two federal agents. Despite Castiel's inexperience at undercover work, they find out the whereabouts of Raphael's vessel: St. Peter’s Hospital, where they find Donnie Finnerman, apparently brain-fried after hosting the archangel. Back at an abandoned house, Castiel brings a very rare substance, Holy Oil, from Jerusalem in which they can trap the archangel, and reveals he doesn't expect to live through the trap. A few hunters walk into the bar calling Sam by his real name and talking about hunting. Sam quickly covers the slip to Lindsay and then calls them away to a table. The hunters, Steve Bose, Reggie Hull, and Tim Janklow, tell Sam that Bobby called them saying there's a demon crisis in town. Sam says he's out. Meanwhile, Castiel and Dean are at a brothel after Dean found out that Castiel is still a virgin. While Dean's flirting with his lady, he hears a scream from the back. Dean goes to the back and finds Castiel, trench coat and suit still on but his tie askew, and his companion, Chastity, nearly hysterical, storming out of the room. Dean asks what happened, and Castiel explains that he only looked her the eyes and tried to comfort her by telling her that it wasn't her fault that her father, Gene, ran off -"it was because he hated his job at the post office". Dean remarks that the whole industry is practically built on absent fathers and gets them out of there. As they get in the car he claims he hasn't laughed that much in a very long time.
Sam and Lindsay are enjoying a salad, and Lindsay starts prying. Sam opens up just enough to vaguely tell Lindsay that he used to be in business with his brother, but he made some mistakes and people got hurt. Lindsay asks what his addiction was, pulling out her sobriety coin and assuring him that nobody has ever been so bad that they can't be forgiven, that they can't change.Back in Maine, Castiel and Dean are at St. Peter’s Hospital, in Donny’s room. Castiel, pouring a circle around him, explains that "when the oil burns, no angel can touch or pass through the flames, or he dies". He also explains that the connection between angel and vessel is kind of like a phone line, if one knows the right number, and can be used to summon the archangel to them. When Dean and Castiel get back to the house, Raphael is standing there. Dean tells Raphael that they knew he was coming and he lights the circle of Holy Oil the Archangel is standing in. Raphael is surprised and tells them that God is dead. That is the only explanation for the horrible things have happened in the 20-21st Century and God's continuing silence. He suggests that Lucifer is the one who resurrected Castiel as he needs more fallen angels. Castiel doesn't believe him and they leave the now destroyed building, with Raphael still trapped in the burning ring of oil. Back at the bar, Sam is questioned by the hunters, who have taken Lindsay hostage, now down to two as the unexpected numbers of the demons killed their friend. Sam confesses that he was the one who started the Apocalypse as they had heard from the demons, but the hunters want him to drink a vial of demon blood and wipe out all the demons in the town. Sam refuses and he's attacked by them, who force-feed him the blood. Sam spits it back in Tim’s face, then beats them both badly, and tells them to leave.
Castiel and Dean are on the road, Castiel riding shotgun and looking sullen. Dean told Castiel that he knows a little something about missing fathers, and there were many times he was looking for his dad when all logic said he was dead. But he knew his dad was alive. Dean tells Castiel to ignore Raphael and asks what he believes. Castiel replies that he thinks God is still alive, and Dean tells him to go looking for him. Then Castiel asks how Dean is, and Dean replies that, although he can't believe it, he's good, really good. After Castiel disappears, he doesn’t look as certain.Sam gets another late-night visit from Jessica, who turns out to be Lucifer disguising himself as Jessica all along. He says that Nick's body was Plan B, and that his true vessel was supposed to be Sam. He says that eventually, without any trickery or lies on his part, Sam will agree to be his vessel, although Sam adamantly disagrees.
Featured Supernatural BeingEdit
Featured Music Edit
- "Simple Man" by Lynyrd Skynyrd
- "Blues Won't Let Me Be" by Left Hand Frank And His Blues Band
- "Devil Sway" by Swank
- Sam and Dean are now separated since the end of Good God, Y'all.
- Castiel is still on his search for God.
- Raphael is revealed as the Archangel who killed Castiel in Lucifer Rising.
- Antagonists: Raphael
- Katya Virshilas, the actress who plays the harem daughter Chastity, also happened to play Lust in The Magnificent Seven.
- At the beginning of this episode, Jessica/Lucifer states to Sam that she "was dead from the moment they said hello." This is actually true, as it was revealed later in The Devil You Know that it was Azazel's plan to set up Jessica and Sam, having Sam fall in love with her, and then take her away from him.
- Dean asks Castiel "You were wasted by a teenage mutant ninja angel"? This is a reference to the character Raphael from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle series.
- When killing a Vampire, Dean says, "Eat it, Twilight!" - an obvious reference to the Twilight Saga.
- Dean and Castiel's fake identities when they go to the police are Alonzo Mosely and Eddie Moscone, characters from Midnight Run (1988).
- The actor who played hunter Tim Janklow in this episode, Scott Michael Campbell, co-starred with Jared Padalecki in the 2004 film Flight of the Phoenix.
- The Waterville deputy sarcastically calls Dean "Kolchak" after he asked if Donnie Finnerman disappeared into thin air. Kolchak:The Night Stalker was a single-season`70s American television series in which the eponymous character was an intrepid reporter who investigates supernatural cases in a "monster-of-the-week" format.
- Dean: Whoa! Whoa! Last time you zapped me some place, I didn't poop for a week!
- [Dean kills a Vampire]
- Dean Winchester: Eat it, Twilight!
- [Castiel is standing much too close to Dean]
- Dean: Cass... We've talked about this. Personal space?
- Castiel: My apologies.
- Castiel: His name is Raphael.
- Dean: You were wasted by a teenage mutant ninja angel?
- Dean: There are two things I know for certain. One: Bert and Ernie are gay. Two: you are not gonna die a virgin, not on my watch.
- [While at a brothel bar]
- Castiel: This is a den of iniquity. I should not be here.
- Dean: Dude, you full-on rebelled against Heaven. Iniquity is one of the perks!
- [Dean hears the prostitute that went off with Castiel screaming]
- Prostitute: [to Castiel] Bastard! Screw you jerk! I'll kill you! [throws glass bottle at Castiel]
- Protitute: [to Dean this time, who just walked in] Screw you too! God! Uh! [prostitute storms off]
- Dean : the hell did you do?
- Castiel: I don't know. I just looked at her in the eyes and told her it wasn't her fault that her father Gene ran off, it was because he hated his job at the post office.
- Dean: Oh, no, man! This whole industry runs on absent fathers! It's the natural order!
- Raphael: Is this funny to you? You're living in a godless universe.
- Dean: And what? You and the other kids just decide to throw an Apocalypse while He's gone?
- Raphael: We're tired. We just want it to be over. We just want...paradise
- Raphael: Castiel, do not leave me here. I will find you.
- Castiel: Maybe one day, but today, you're my little bitch.
- [He leaves. Dean starts to follow, then stops]
- Dean: What he said!
- Dean [to Castiel]: I've had more fun with you in the last 24 hours than I've had with Sam for past few years! ...And you're not that much fun!
- Lucifer: Why do you think you were in that chapel? You're the one, Sam. You're my vessel. My true vessel.