Heaven And Hell is the 10th episode of Season 4. It aired on November 20th, 2008.
Anna remembers her past and Sam and Dean finally understand why Castiel and Uriel want her dead. However, they disagree with the angels' orders and try to help Anna restore an important part of her past so she can be saved. Meanwhile, Alastair and his demons continue to close in on Anna and the brothers.
Castiel and Uriel appear and demand that Sam and Dean hand over Anna, with Castiel announcing, "We're here for Anna...she has to die." Uriel states that Anna is not as innocent as she appears. The boys protest but the angels attack. Suddenly a bright light engulfs them and the angels are repelled and disappear. The boys go to the room where Anna was hiding, and find that she has used her blood to draw an Angel Banishing Sigil on a mirror that sends the angels "away, far away.'
Sam, Dean, Ruby and Anna take refuge at Bobby 's place, although Bobby is away on a job in the Caribbean, putting Anna in Bobby's Panic Room.
Sam discovers that when Anna was a child, she claimed she had another father, who was mad at her. She claims to remember nothing of this, so Dean brings Pamela Barnes to try and unlock her memories. Anna remembers, and reveals that she is an angel who chose to fall to Earth and become human, relinquishing her grace.Sam tracks Anna's grace, which was mistaken for a meteor when she fell, to Kentucky, where an oak tree grew on the place where it landed. Sam, Dean, Ruby and Anna travel there only to find it gone. Anna then overhears the angels talking. She reports that if she is not handed over to them, Dean will be returned to Hell. Later Anna tells Dean she knows what he did in Hell, and that he should forgive himself. Dean says he doesn't want to talk about it. "I know," Anna says. "But when you can, you have people that wanna help.You're not alone. Thats all I'm trying to say." She kisses him. "What was that for?" Dean asks. "My last night on earth, all that." Anna says. "You're stealing my best line," Dean replies. Dean kisses her and they have passionate sex in the backseat of the Impala.
Ruby goes to a crossroads and reveals herself to Alastair by burning her hex bag. She offers to give up Anna, if Alastair will let her and the Winchesters go. He captures and tortures her with her knife. She won't reveal Anna's location verbally, but she will take him there.
Uriel appears to Dean in a dream, taunting him, and reveals that he holds Anna's grace in a necklace. He demands Anna, saying he knows Dean's weak spot, and offers him a choice.
The next day, Uriel and Castiel appear to take Anna. Dean's choice is revealed: either Anna dies - or Sam. As the angels are about to take her, an injured Ruby appears with Alastair. The demons and angels confront each other and another fight ensues, during which Anna steals her Grace from Uriel and becomes an angel again. During the process, Alastair disappears. Uriel and Castiel leave, and we find out that it was Sam's plan all along to bring the demons and angels together to get them to fight each other.
On the side of the road, Dean and Sam have a beer and Dean starts to talk about his time in hell. He reveals that the time was more like forty years than four months and that he underwent excruciating torture, and that each day Alastair would offer to let him off the rack, if Dean would become the torturer himself. Dean weeps as he admits to Sam that after 30 years he broke, and took up tormenting other souls.
Featured Supernatural BeingsEdit
Ready For Love by Bad Company
- This episode takes place immediately after the events of "I Know What You Did Last Summer".
- Dean finally reveals to Sam what happened to him in Hell, and what he did to avoid torture. This would haunt Dean for the rest of the season.
- The irony in the brothers attempt to save Anna's life would later come into affect in the season five episode "The Song Remains the Same", in which Anna tries to kill their parents before the two are born... which would prevent them from existing.
- Antagonists: Alastair, Castiel and Uriel
- There is a deleted scene from this episode in which Castiel and Uriel discuss the aftermath of Anna's escape. Uriel wants to kill Sam and Ruby in retribution, but Castiel tells him their superiors have ordered that they be left unharmed. Uriel is furious and voices dissent, to which Castiel responds by warning him against disobedience, lest he become like Anna.
- This is the first episode to feature an angel's grace. The grace of other angels would be shown throughout season 9.
- Sam: She was convinced that he wasn't her real daddy.
- Dean: Who was? The plumber, hmmm? A little snaking the pipes??
- Sam: Dude, you're confusing reality with porn again.
- Dean: They sliced, and... carved, and tore at me in ways that you... Until there was nothing left. And then suddenly, I would be whole again. Like magic. Just so they could start it all over. And Alastair, at the end of every day... every one - he would come over, and he would make me an offer. To take me off the rack, if I put souls on. If I started the torture. And everyday, I told him to stick it where the sun shines. For thirty years I told him. But then I couldn’t do it anymore, Sammy.... I couldn’t. And I got off that rack. God help me, I got right off. And I started ripping them apart. I lost count of how many souls. [begins crying] The things that I did to them...
- Sam: Dean... Dean, look, you held out for 30 years. That's longer than anyone would have.
- Dean: [crying] How I feel... This... inside me... I wish I couldn't feel anything, Sammy. I wish I couldn't feel a damn thing.