Jessica Lee Moore was the girlfriend of Sam Winchester, though she never got to know about his family secret. Jessica was killed by Brady on Azazel's orders in the pilot episode, partly because she was in the way for Sam to find his skills, partly to give Sam a reason to continue hunting.
It is unknown how Jessica lived and how exactly she met Sam, but they became a couple one and a half year before the pilot episode of the series, and Jessica often helped Sam feel normal. Despite living together and loving each other deeply, Jessica never got to know about Sam's family secrets, or that Sam had been dreaming about her death prior. When Dean Winchester, Sam's older brother, visits to bring Sam along to look for their father, Jessica worries that Sam will lose his chance in university by following his brother, but Sam reassures her that he will be back before Monday.
At some point during the end of the weekend, Jessica made cookies as a welcome present for Sam, before she was killed in the same way that Mary Winchester was killed; sliced across the stomach on the ceiling. When Sam saw Jessica, she seemed to still be alive, but soon burst into flames.
Jessica's death is what makes Sam go back to the hunting life in order to find Azazel and avenge her death. She is often the topic of choice whenever Sam is feeling down or becomes attracted to another woman in the first two seasons. Weeks after her death, Sam has nightmares about her all the time, making him sleep as little as possible. In "Home", Sam reveals to Dean that he had visions of Jessica's death before it happened, blaming himself for not telling her or doing something about it. This is also the secret that he used to summon Bloody Mary in the episode "Bloody Mary". After this episode, though, Sam's nighmare seems to dim, and he is finally able to move on with his life in the episode "Heart".
In Dean's wish-world in "What Is And What Should Never Be", Jessica is still alive, and she and Sam are engaged. This is followed up with the fact that, in "Devil's Trap", Azazel mentions to Dean that Sam was shopping for engagement rings and intended to marry Jessica before Dean came to visit him.
In "Free to Be You and Me", Lucifer communicates in Sam's dreams through an illusion of Jessica, telling him how he cannot run from who he is and that it was that which got her killed. Eventually, however, Lucifer ceases this form and changes back to Nick's shape.
- Jessica seemed to be a student at Stanford like Sam, but it is not known what she was studying.
- Jessica shares her birthday, January 24, 1984, with Dean. In an interview, Eric Kripke said that January 24 is his wife's birthday, and "it's kinda my valentine to her."
- The studio bosses wanted Kripke to write Jessica as an ongoing character, but Kripke thought it would not work and suggested killing her off, which they liked. The studio then urged Kripke to make Jessica an evil demon character who was planted into Sam's life with purpose, and whose betrayal drives him on the road as he realizes demons are closer to him than he thought. This was used in Season 5 with Brady and Lucifer's revelation of people he knew in his childhood being affiliated with demons.
List of appearancesEdit
- "Wendigo" (in Sam's dream)
- "Bloody Mary" (in Sam's dream and as an apparition)
- "Provenance" (mentioned only)
- "Devil's Trap" (mentioned only)
- "In My Time of Dying" (mentioned only)
- "What Is And What Should Never Be" (in Dean's dream)
- "All Hell Breaks Loose - Part 1" (mentioned only)
- "Free to Be You and Me" (impersonated by Lucifer)
- "Point of No Return" (mentioned only)
- "The Devil You Know" (mentioned only)
- "The Man Who Knew Too Much" (mentioned only)
- "Hunteri Heroici" (mentioned only)