|“||I just trim the hedges.||”|
in Dark Side of the Moon
Joshua is an angel who resided in Heaven. He is well known as the angel that speaks to God. However, when talking to Sam and Dean, he corrects them and states that God usually does all the talking and he merely listens. His current status is unknown after Metatron expelled all other angels from Heaven.
Castiel tells the Winchester brothers that since they're in Heaven, they need to take advantage of this and speak with Joshua. Castiel continues saying that they can find Joshua in Heaven's Garden. After Dean and Sam are captured and are about to be tortured by Zachariah, Joshua intervenes. Joshua tells Zachariah that he needs to speak with the Winchesters and that he must insist on this. Zachariah tells Joshua that he doesn't get to insist anything, but he replies that the Boss does and that he's following his orders. Zachariah accuses him of lying, but he responds that he wouldn't lie about this adding that Zachariah can ignore him if he wants but eventually God will come back home and he knows how he is with that whole "wrath thing". Intimidated by the possibility of facing God's wrathful anger, Zachariah and the two other angels then teleport away, leaving the brothers with Joshua.
Joshua transports himself and the brothers to Heaven's Garden. Both Dean and Sam are surprised by the Garden's appearance. Joshua explains that everyone sees the Garden as they want to see it, some see it as God's throne room, the Garden of Eden, and the Cleveland Botanical Gardens for them, which they visited on a field trip when they were children.
Sam asks if he is Joshua, which Joshua confirms. Sam then asks if he talks to God. Joshua specifies that God talks to him. The brothers tell him that they need to speak to him and ask where God is. Joshua tells them that God is on Earth, but he doesn't know where and why he is on Earth. Dean, confused since God is currently talking to no one else, asks Joshua why he is speaking to him. Joshua believes it's because God thinks he can sympathize since they are both gardeners and also because he believes that God gets lonely.
Sam tries to get Joshua to give God a message for them, but Joshua tells them God has a message for them, "Back off". Joshua goes on saying that God already knows what the brothers want to say to him, what the angels are doing, and that the Apocalypse has begun, but he feels that it's not his problem. When Dean questions how God could think that this isn't his problem, Joshua tells them that it was God who put them on the airplane when Lucifer was freed, resurrected Castiel, and gave them salvation in Heaven after all they've done, specifically what Sam's done. Joshua says God has not intervened to this degree for a long time, but now he's finished and that they won't be able to find him, even with Dean's amulet. He apologizes to the brothers, but Dean simply calls God "another dead-beat dad with a bunch of excuses" and that he'll make it through. Joshua then replies, "Except, you don't know if you can this time," and also informs them they won't be able to kill Lucifer. Sam then asks how do they know he's not lying to them. Joshua says he's rooting for them and that he wishes he could do something more.
Joshua then resurrects the brothers, but before he does he tells them that it won't be like their past trips into Heaven because God wants them to remember this experience.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
Despite the fact that he was a low-ranking angel, Joshua was the only known angel that talked with God. He possessed powers that of an average angel, including:
- Resurrection - Joshua can raise people from the dead. After giving Dean and Sam God's message, Joshua resurrected the both of them.
- Healing - When Joshua resurrected the Winchester brothers, the bullet wounds in their chests were completely healed.
- Immortality - Joshua, like all angels, has a long lifespan and doesn't age and also he cannot be killed by diseases or toxins.
- Super Strength - Like any normal angel, he has superhumanly enhanced strength, far superior to any mortal being.
- Angelic Possession - As an angel, Joshua requires a human vessel and, as usual, needs the vessel's consent.
- Teleportation - Joshua, like all angels, can teleport anywhere he wishes and can bring others with him. He teleported himself and the brothers to Heaven's Garden.
- Memory Manipulation - When Joshua resurrected the Winchester brothers, he allowed them to keep their memories of Heaven under God's orders, when usually resurrected humans forget their time in Heaven.
Judging by how Joshua's voice actually breaks when he says he wishes that he could do more to help the Winchesters, Castiel and (presumably and unknowingly) the demon Crowley, he has developed emotions there by disproving Dean's hypocritical thought of all angels being "winged dicks". It is unknown how he developed feelings as he spent no time on Earth such as Gabriel, or wanting to redeem himself for his mistakes such as Gadreel and Naomi.
- Due to Metatron emptying Heaven, and Joshua's position as God's gardener, it is certain Joshua fell to Earth. Whether he survived the fall or not, remains unknown.
- Upon revealing himself to Sam and Dean, it is unknown if God still speaks to Joshua.
- ↑ Dark Side of the Moon