|Affiliation:|| Hindu Pantheon|
|Portrayed by:||Rekha Sharma|
"If anyone gets to end this world, it's me."
Kali was a Hindu Goddess and was one of many gods who met to try to work out a way to stop the Apocalypse. Along with Baldur, she appeared to be one of the most- if not the most- powerful and oldest of the gods. She had previously had a relationship with Gabriel, when she thought he was the Trickster demigod Loki. She bound Sam, Dean and Gabriel to her with their blood, making it impossible for them to leave.
She revealed that she had discovered that Gabriel was an archangel, and she used what she thought was an Archangel blade to kill him. However the sword was a fake, and he survived, later saving her from Lucifer after he had killed the other gods. She escaped with Sam and Dean and her current whereabouts are unknown.
Kali appears as a South Asian woman with brown hair and eyes. She was dressed in a red blouse and black skirt. She had a silver chain belt with skulls on it (symbolic of her true Hindu form) and a gold bracelet on her right hand.
Kali is vain, ill-tempered, and easily offended. She favors violence and bloodshed, and has no problems bullying others into agreeing with her. She has been shown to enjoy playing with the emotions of the men bound to her and be content and even flirtatious in their presence. She has great pride in herself and the other gods, who are numerous and old, and therefore believe they should have been the ones to decide the fate of the world - not Lucifer or the archangels. However, her pride has caused her to overestimate her own powers, and underestimate that of the others, as demonstrated when Lucifer casually slaughtered the other pagan gods. Kali always demands a certain level of respect. In Hindu beliefs, Kali is both Creator and Destroyer of the universe. She is the first of the ten Great Cosmic Powers, and spins the wheel of time. At the end of the universe, Time (“Kala”) devours everything, including the astral plain. In turn, Kali devours Kala – time itself – and is the ultimate destroyer of the universe. From the outside, Kali may appear to be a demonic goddess; she is portrayed in art as a frightening figure, a drinker of blood with a garland of human heads. She is far from a demon herself – in fact, in the most popular story of her origins, it is she who is brought forth in order to kill the demons who have usurped the thrones of the gods.
Powers & AbilitiesEdit
Kali has the potential to destroy the world as "The Destroyer". Also, she was one of, if not the strongest pagan deities, as she was able to bind Gabriel, an Archangel, to her presence, which in itself is impressive, and she could casually overpower Mercury who was also a powerful god.
- Pyrokinesis - She can summon fire at will and use it offensively like a flame thrower.
- Telekinesis - She was able to move and drop the ceiling lamps when the Winchesters tried to leave the room just by looking at it.
- Biokinesis - She choked Mercury with her mind until he coughed up blood.
- Blood Spell - She was able to forever bind people and even archangels to her by using their blood.
- Immortality - Like all gods, Kali is ancient, does not age or get sick, and can potentially live forever.
- Invulnerability - As a goddess, Kali cannot be killed by conventional means. However, more powerful beings are able to harm or kill her.
- Teleportation - She is able to travel from place to place by thought, and can even travel to other planets. However she was unable to use this ability on herself or the Winchesters because Lucifer was blocking her power.
Kali helped organise the meeting at the Elysian Fields Motel. Dean first met her in the buffet area and attempted to hit on her, to which Kali simply responded, "No." She had Mercury gather blood from both Sam and Dean, so their souls are now forever bound to her by blood spell. Kali suggests - during the meeting - that they take violent actions towards the archangels. Kali obtained blood from Gabriel's vessel and bound him to her as well.
She later killed him to show the remaining gods that with an Archangel sword, the gods can ultimately defeat Lucifer. Little did she know, Gabriel's sword was a fake, and Mercury would betray the rest of the gods and sell them out to Lucifer. Lucifer killed all the gods except Kali, who escaped with Sam and Dean while Gabriel confronted Lucifer.
- Contrary to Western Beliefs, Kali is not prideful but the destroyer of ego and pride.
- The name Kali comes from kāla, which means black, time, night, conciousness and death.
- Kali is considered the goddess of time and change.
- She is sometimes presented as dark and violent in the show, contrary to her depiction in Hindu texts
- Kali is portrayed mostly in two forms: the popular four-armed form and the ten-armed Mahakali form.
- She is described as being black in color but is most often depicted as blue in popular Indian art.
- She is often depicted naked, which symbolizes her being beyond the covering of Maya, since she is pure.
- She is known as 'The Destroyer' in Hinduism and is capable of destroying everything in existence through her celestial dancing.
- She immensely loves the world and is a compassionate mother who strictly admonishes her children for doing wrong and is a savior who takes the devout closer to God.
- Despite being the destroyer, Kali ultimately turns into the compassionate creator who waits for the end of time to destroy and recreate the world once again.
- Kali was the only Pagan deity to escape from Lucifer during the events of Hammer of the Gods.
- The depiction of Kali among other gods and goddesses was received negatively by critics, who saw the "erroneous" portrayal of Kali as both offensive and bias towards modern day Christianity. Kali is traditionally noted as being vegan, whereas in the show it is seen that she dines on meat (as with the other gods). She is also called the "Maker and Destroyer of Worlds" in lore, whereas in the show it is obvious that her adversary Lucifer could kill all the other gods with relative ease. It should be noted that characters in Supernatural are built around their own laws and principles, and should be considered separate from real world beliefs.