|Affiliation:|| Hindu Pantheon|
|Portrayed by:||Rekha Sharma|
|“||"If anyone gets to end this world, it's me."||”|
Kali was a Hindu Goddess and was one of many Deities who met to try to work out a way to stop the Apocalypse. Along with Baldur, she appeared to be one of the most- if not the most- powerful and oldest of the deities. She had previously had a relationship with Gabriel, when she thought he was the Trickster demigod Loki.
She escapes certain death thanks to the help of Sam and Dean. Her current whereabouts are unknown.
Kali, along with Baldur, organised a meeting of various deities at Elysian Fields Hotel, so they could discuss about the Apocalypse. Dean first encounters her at the buffet area and attempts to hit on her, to which Kali simply responds, "No."
She employs Mercury to collect blood samples from both Sam and Dean, so they would be bound to her by a spell. She later obtained blood from Gabriel's vessel as well. At the meeting, Kali suggests that the deities take violent actions against the archangels.
When Gabriel attempts to flirt with her in order to retrieve his and the Winchesters' blood, the plan fails. Kali reveals that she had discovered that Gabriel was an archangel for some time, and she uses what she thinks is an archangel blade to kill him, to prove to the remaining deities that with the blade, the deities can ultimately defeat Lucifer.
However, little did she know that both the blade and Gabriel were fakes. Mercury would also betray the rest of the deities and sell their location to Lucifer himself. When Lucifer begins a killing spree, Kali is the only surviving deity, since the real Gabriel showed up and instructed Sam and Dean to get Kali outside, leaving the two archangels to confront each other.
Kali appears as a South Asian woman with brown hair and eyes. She was dressed in a red blouse and black skirt. She had a silver chain belt with skulls on it (symbolic of her true Hindu form) and a gold bracelet on her right hand.
Kali is vain, ill-tempered, and easily offended. She favors violence and bloodshed, and has no problems bullying others into agreeing with her. She has been shown to enjoy playing with the emotions of the men bound to her and be content and even flirtatious in their presence. She has great pride in herself and the other deities, who are numerous and old, and therefore believe they should have been the ones to decide the fate of the world - not Lucifer or the archangels. However, her pride has caused her to overestimate her own powers, and underestimate that of the others, as demonstrated when Lucifer casually slaughtered the other pagan deities. Kali always demands a certain level of respect.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
Kali has the potential to destroy the world as "The Destroyer". Also, she was one of, if not the strongest pagan deities, as she was able to bind Gabriel, an Archangel, to her presence, which in itself is impressive, and she could casually overpower Mercury who was also a powerful deity.
- Pyrokinesis - She can summon fire at will and use it offensively like a flame thrower.
- Telekinesis - She was able to move and drop the ceiling lamps when the Winchesters tried to leave the room just by looking at it.
- Biokinesis - She choked Mercury with her mind until he coughed up blood.
- Blood Spell - She was able to bind humans, and even Archangel Gabriel by using the blood of their vessels they inhabit.
- Immortality - Like all deities, Kali is ancient, does not age or get sick, and can potentially live forever.
- Invulnerability - As a deity, Kali cannot be killed by conventional means. However, more powerful beings are able to harm or kill her.
- Teleportation - She is able to travel from place to place by thought, and can even travel to other planets. However she was unable to use this ability on herself or the Winchesters because Lucifer was blocking her power.
- Super Strength - Kali implied that she have this power when she told Sam breaking his ribs would be easier than squeezing them and after she tried to burn Lucifer with her pyrokinetic abilities she approached him while her arms still burning and was going to punch him only Lucifer overpowered her first.
- Higher beings: Higher beings such as God, Death, the Darkness and the Archangels can effortlessly kill her.
In Lore Edit
In Hindu beliefs, Kali is both Creator and Destroyer of the universe. She is the first of the ten Great Cosmic Powers, and spins the wheel of time. At the end of the universe, Time (“Kala”) devours everything, including the astral plain. In turn, Kali devours Kala – time itself – and is the ultimate destroyer of the universe. From the outside, Kali may appear to be a demonic deity; she is portrayed in art as a frightening figure, a drinker of blood with a garland of human heads. She is far from a demon herself – in fact, in the most popular story of her origins, it is she who is brought forth in order to kill the demons who have usurped the thrones of the deities.
Contrary to Western beliefs, Kali is not prideful but the destroyer of ego and pride.
Kali is portrayed mostly in two forms: the popular four-armed form and the ten-armed Mahakali form. She is described as being black in color but is most often depicted as blue in popular Indian art. She is often depicted naked, which symbolizes her being beyond the covering of Maya, since she is pure.
The name Kali comes from kāla, which means black, time, night, consciousness and death.
- Kali was the only Pagan deity to escape from Lucifer during the events of Hammer of the Gods.
- The depiction of Kali among other deities was received negatively by critics, who saw the "erroneous" portrayal of Kali as both offensive and bias towards modern day Christianity. Kali is traditionally noted as being vegan, whereas in the show it is seen that she dines on meat (as with the other deities). She is also called the "Maker and Destroyer of Worlds" in lore, whereas in the show it is obvious that her adversary Lucifer could kill all the other deities with relative ease. It should be noted that characters in Supernatural are built around their own laws and principles, and should be considered separate from real world beliefs.
- Kali is considered the goddess of time and change.