As most of the other creatures that appear in the series, they can look like normal women that seduce young human men. One of their behaviors is to squeeze their victims' hearts and suck their blood. In addition, it is implied that they can transform into a non-human form, which apparently consists of large claws (one of which was discovered as the brothers examined a dead body at a playground with its chest cracked open) and a fierce roar. The one Sam and Dean fought seemed to wear a hooded robe similar to the shtriga, although it is unknown how common this practice is.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
Their abilities are vague, as they have only appeared once in Supernatural, in the episode Weekend at Bobby's, in which it is implied that Lamias have enhanced strength and agility, allowing it to easily overpower Sam and throw him across a room.
- Super Strength - Lamias possess enough strength to toss grown men around and rip open chest cavities.
- Super Agility - Lamias possess enhanced agility greater then that of humans.
- Invulnerability - A Lamia cannot be killed by conventional means.
- Shapeshifting - They can appear in human form to seduce young human men.
Information about them says that there are two methods to kill a Lamia.
- Blessed Silver Knife - Stabbing a Lamia with a silver knife blessed by a priest can kill it.
- Rosemary and Salt - Throwing a mixture of rosemary and salt at the Lamia then setting it on fire can kill them.
- Fire - Setting a Lamia on fire after it has been seasoned with rosemary and salt is fatal to them.
- Season 6
- Weekend at Bobby's (shadow only)
- Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting (non-canon, mentioned only)
In ancient Greek mythology, Lamia (Greek: Λάμια) was a beautiful queen of Libya who became a child-eating daemon. According to Diodorus Siculus, Lamia had an affair with Zeus and bore him children. When Hera, Zeus' wife, discovered the affair, she became enraged and killed the children. Driven insane with grief, Lamia began devouring other children, and, as related by Diodorus, her face became hideously distorted from her grisly deeds.