|Airdate||September 18, 2008|
|Written by||Eric Kripke|
|Directed by||Kim Manners|
|Guests|| Jim Beaver as Bobby Singer|
Genevieve Cortese as Ruby
Misha Collins as Castiel
Traci Dinwiddie as Pamela Barnes
|Previous episode||No Rest For The Wicked|
|Next episode||Are You There, God? It's Me, Dean Winchester|
|Episode list||Season 4|
Lazarus Rising is the opening episode of Season 4.
We hear harsh breathing, and then a lighter is lit. Dean is in a pine box. He calls for help, but his throat is dry from no use and his voice is raspy and quiet. He looks around as best as he can, and finally breaks the top of the coffin. He digs himself out, and emerges in a field. All the trees have been felled, radiating out from his grave. He walks until he finds an empty gas station, where he eagerly drinks some water. He also examines himself for signs of the hellhound attack, but finds that he has completely healed with no trace of the attack. While examining himself, he finds a raised, red handprint on his shoulder. It appears to be burned into his skin and he does not seem to recognize where it came from.
Dean grabs some more water, candy and a copy of Busty Asian Beauties. As he prepares to leave, a TV and radio switch on. Thinking it is a demon, Dean pours salt along the window, but he is soon crippled by a piercing sound that shatters all the glass in the area. As quickly as it started, whatever it was stops.
Dean phones Sam, but gets no answer, and Bobby hangs up on him, not believing that it is him. He steals a car from the gas station and takes off.
When Bobby finds Dean on his doorstep, he assumes it is a supernatural being and tries to kill him. Dean tries to prove his identity by cutting himself with a silver knife, and they embrace. Bobby then checks whether Dean is possessed by throwing holy water to his face. After that he believes that it's Dean, resurrected from Hell. Dean then shows him the large red handprint on his left deltoid.
Bobby tells Dean that he hasn't seen Sam in months, but Dean tracks Sam using the GPS in his phone and finds him in a town near the place Dean was buried.
When Bobby and Dean arrive at Sam's hotel room, the door is answered by a scantily-clad girl. It is Ruby in a new body, but she and Sam act as if she is just a girl he's picked up. Sam also attacks Dean thinking he must be a monster, but when he realises it's Dean there is a tearful hug. The girl asks whether the boys "are together" but Sam says they're brothers. The girl takes her leave of them.
Sam promises Dean he didn't make a deal to get Dean out of Hell, or use his powers. In fact, he is upset that he was unable to save Dean. He tells them he was following some demons who lead him here. Bobby suggests they visit a psychic to see if they can find out how Dean got out of Hell.
Bobby and the boys travel to meet Pamela Barnes, an old friend of Bobby's. She starts a séance to reveal who saved Dean, and contacts someone called Castiel. But when she sees him in her mind, her eyes are burned and she is blinded.
Later at a diner, Dean and Sam discuss what to do, when the waitress reveals herself and the other people in the diner to be demons Sam is looking for. She threatens Dean, but doesn't take any action, and doesn't seem to know anything about his escape from hell. The boys leave, although Sam wants to exorcise the demons.
Later that night, Sam sneaks out while Dean is asleep and heads back to the diner. When Dean wakes up, he again hears the piercing sound that he heard in the gas station. Bobby returns as it stops, and Dean convinces him that they need to summon the thing that is haunting him. He calls Sam, who lies about being at the diner. Sam tells Dean he went to get a burger. Dean tells him he and Bobby are getting a beer.
Sam goes into the diner and finds one of the demons dead with his eyes burnt out. The possessed waitress, although also blinded, attacks Sam, and warns him that everyone is going to die. Sam asks what it was she saw, but the demon refuses to answer. Sam lifts a hand and using only his mind exorcises the demon, though the host dies in the process. As he finishes, the girl who was in his hotel room earlier enters. It's Ruby. Sam has been working with her for some time to develop his powers. They talk about Dean and how he could have come back, and Ruby claims that no demon has the power to pull a human soul out of Hell and put it back in its body that easily. They then discuss what they're going to say to Dean about what they've been doing the past few months. Sam tells Ruby he will tell Dean what he has been doing, when the time is right.
Meanwhile, Dean and Bobby perform a summoning ritual and a man in a trenchcoat appears, causing the lights to go haywire. He walks over the Devil's Trap and is unharmed when Bobby and Dean shoot him with rocksalt. Dean asks who he is and the man says, "I'm the one who gripped you tight and raised you from Perdition." Dean thanks him then stabs him with Ruby's Knife. It has no effect. Bobby tries to attack from behind, but the man easily wards off the attack and then renders Bobby unconscious so that he can talk to Dean alone.
The man reveals to Dean that he is Castiel, an Angel of the Lord. Dean doesn't believe him, so Castiel reveals a pair of shadowy Angelic wings that emerge briefly from his back. When Dean angrily berates him for burning Pamela's eyes out, Castiel states that his true form can be overwhelming for humans. He also explains that he tried on two occasions to talk to Dean in his true voice, as certain people can hear him. Dean, however, was not one of them, so now Castiel has taken control of a "vessel" - a willing human host who desired to serve Heaven. Dean asks why an angel would rescue him from Hell. Castiel tells Dean that he saved him from Hell on God's command, and that God has work for Dean to do.
Featured Supernatural Beings Edit
Featured Music Edit
- "You Shook Me All Night Long" - AC/DC
- "Fight Song" - The Republic Tigers
- "Vision" - Jason Manns
- "Wrapped Around Your Finger" - Martyn Laight
- "I'm So Blue" - Katie Thompson
- Dean was dead from Season 3's finale, until now.
- Four months have passed since the end of No Rest For The Wicked.
- Ruby has acquired a new meat suit.
Apparently the Winchesters are Star Wars fans. When Dean is trying to get the location of Sam's phone, he says his name is "Wedge Antilles." Wedge Antilles is a recurring X-Wing pilot in all three original Star Wars films, and a minor hero: he was the last one in the Death Star trench with Luke, one of the only pilots to down an AT-AT on Hoth, and was piloting the X-Wing that fired the first shot at the second Death Star's core.
Goofs, Bloopers & Continuity Errors Edit
- Ruby tells Sam that no demon can pull a soul out of Hell and put it back in its body, however, the Crossroad Demon in Crossroad Blues offered to do just that by bringing John back from the dead in exchange for Dean's soul. There was no indication that the demon had been lying, and the way she threw it in Dean's face after he turned the deal down gave every indication that she could have done it.
- Antagonist: Castiel (sort of); Demons
- This episode marks the first appearance of Castiel.
- Busty Asian Beauties makes another appearance, this time on the magazine rack at the gas station Dean raids.
- This is the first appearance of Ruby being played by Genevieve Cortese.
- One of the talismans and symbols that Bobby draws to try and trap Castiel is Jacob Karns' talisman from Hook Man.
- Bobby: "Dean, your chest was ribbons, your insides were slop, and you'd been buried four months. Even if you could slip out of Hell and back into your meats --"
- Dean: "I know. I should look like a "Thriller" video reject."
- Bobby: "What do you remember?"
- Dean: "Not much. I remember I was a hellhound's chew toy...and then lights-out. Then I come to six feet under. That was it."
- [Dean sees the modifications Sam has made to the Impala]
- Dean: What the hell is that?
- Sam: That's an iPod jack.
- Dean: You were supposed to take care of her, not douche her up.
- Waitress (Demon): "Tell me, what makes you so special?"
- Dean: "I like to think it's because of my perky nipples..." (awkward pause) "...I don't know."
- Dean: Who are you?
- Castiel: "I'm the one who gripped you tight and raised you from perdition."
- Dean: Who are you?
- Castiel: I'm Castiel.
- Dean: Yeah, I figured that much. I mean what are you?
- [Castiel turns to face him]
- Castiel: I'm an Angel of the Lord.
- [Dean stares at him in disbelief]
- Dean: Get the hell out of here. There's no such thing.
- Castiel: This is your problem, Dean. You have no faith.
- [Lightning flashes. The shadows of a pair of Angel's Wings emerge from Castiel's back]
- Dean: You mean the gas station and the motel. That was you talking? Buddy, next time, lower the volume.
- Castiel: That was my mistake. Certain people, special people, can perceive my true visage. I thought you would be one of them. I was wrong.
- Dean: And what visage are you in now, huh? What, Holy Tax Accountant?
- Castiel: This? This is... a vessel.
- Dean: You're possessing some poor bastard?
- Castiel: He's a devout man, he actually prayed for this.
- Dean: "Why'd you do it?"
- Castiel: "Because God commanded it. Because we have work for you."
- "Supernatural: "Lazarus Rising" Review", IGN review.