Let the Good Times Roll is the 23rd episode and the season finale of Season 13. It aired on May 17, 2018.
|There was something about being there... It felt pure.|
This episode summary is an official CW press release. It may contain errors.
DO NOT CHANGE!
Sam briefs the Apocalypse World refugees on the state of their world, in order to help them assimilate to their world. Dean then tells him that Cass called him on a case of werewolves.
Gathering Jack, they meet Castiel at docks where Castiel tells them of how many werewolves there are and Jack goes over what is needed. The group then attack and Jack uses his telekinesis to hold the werewolves in place, allowing the Winchesters to easily kill them with silver bullets. At night, Dean talks with Sam and expresses hope that with Jack's help, they may actually be able to win over the forces of evil in the long run and Dean comforts Jack over his nightmares about the people that Jack has lost.
The next day, Mary and Bobby walk through the forest near the bunker, discussing the state of things. Bobby tells Mary that even if they can reopen the rift, many of the refugees have grown to like the Main Universe so much they might not want to leave, Bobby included. As they walk, the two find the murdered body of Maggie.
Jack is left distraught by his inability to protect her. After learning from her friend that Maggie was seeing a boy named Nate, Jack teleports to the gas station where Nate works and assaults him and attempts to strangle Nate against the cooler. Sam, Dean, and Castiel arrive and try stop him from hurting an innocent employee. When Jack doesn't acknowledge them, Dean shoots him and Jack is shocked by this as Dean tells him it was to get his attention. The group explain that Nate is innocent before the latter becomes horrified that Maggie is dead and Jack leaves stunned that he hurt someone again.
Jack arrives in the forest where he Lucifer appears, to Jack's surprise.
As the others worry about , they explain to Nate of what happen by making excuses before the area shakes and angel radio is heard. Dean has Nate vacate the area as he and the others spot a figure watching them and are shocked by its appearance. After making it out the store, windows are destroyed and the cause is revealed to be Michael who greets his horrified foes.
Castiel becomes angry at seeing him and quickly tries to attack in anger, but is stopped by Sam from fighting while Michael provokes him. Dean then ignites holy fire to keep the Archangel at bay as they retreat from the area.
In the forest, Lucifer brushes off questions of how he has returned and states that he has returned for Jack. Claiming not to blame Sam for trapping him, Lucifer suggests that he and Jack leave Earth together which excites Jack but he asks for a favor. They return to the bunker and Jack has a reluctant Lucifer resurrect Maggie before they leave just as the others arrive. The Winchesters and Castiel return and are surprised to see Maggie alive again.
Mary informs Dean and Cass that Lucifer resurrected Maggie and left with Jack, as the two are worried by this overwhelming news. Sam questions Maggie on who killed her, Maggie admits that she doesn't know, all she saw was her killer's glowing eyes. Dean decides to put a lookout for Lucifer and Jack by calling Jody.
Banging is heard on the door along with a booming presence, Dean orders Mary, Bobby, and Maggie to leave. Mary tries to stay but Sam and Bobby tell her to move and she reluctantly complies.
The door flies off as Michael enters the room and levitating in the air as Sam and Dean shoot, to no affect. Castiel attacks Michael but prove to be no match for him as the latter punches him out. Sam attacks but is beaten down as Dean attacks with an angel blade but is taken down. Strangling Dean, Michael gloats about his plan to take over and cleanse the Main Universe, starting with Dean. Dean questions how he arrived as he revealed he made a deal and begins to act on his threat as Dean remains defiant.
Seeing Dean in danger, Sam prays to Jack for help against Michael. In the forest, Lucifer and Jack are gazing at night sky as they discuss leaving the Earth. Jack soon hears Sam's prayer as Lucifer watches as Jack teleports away.
In the bunker, Michael is still strangling Dean as he voices his enjoyment in his suffering before Jack appears and attacked the Archangel. Enraged at his family's pain, Jack torments Michael as Lucifer appears and watches the scene, surprised by his son's acts. In pain, Michael revealed his deal with Lucifer and Jack questions this before Sam and Dean tell him everything.
Sam also reveals that Lucifer killed Maggie as he mentions that Maggie saw her killer's glowing red eyes and Jack confronts Lucifer with this. Lucifer denies it and Jack forces Lucifer to admit that he murdered Maggie when she encountered him scouting out the bunker, enraging Jack and turning him against his father.
Enraged, Lucifer yells at his son and states that he only needs Jack's power, Lucifer slit in Jack's neck and absorbs some of his grace, leaving Jack depowered. Lucifer teleports away with Jack, but Sam grabs on and is teleported with them to a church.
Shocked, Dean and Castiel turn on Michael who, severely weakened, explains that Lucifer won. Michael explains that having consumed a Nephilim's grace, Lucifer is "super-charged" and can now end the whole universe if he wishes. Dean stated he saw Michael beat Lucifer as the latter admits that he no longer possesses the strength to defeat Lucifer in his current state with a "banged-up" vessel and states that they are facing the end of everything. Dean remembers that he is the Michael Sword, Michael's perfect vessel who will make Michael stronger than he has ever been. Michael admits that together, he and Dean have a chance against Lucifer and seeing no other choice, Dean offers Michael a one-time deal: Dean remains in control while Michael powers him so that together they can fight Lucifer. Castiel tries to talk sense into Dean but the latter wants to save his family from the Devil.
At a church, Lucifer sees that Sam has tagged along and beats him up while Jack pleads to using stating he's his son. In response, Lucifer punches him and gloats over how he can make more before he goes over his plans to take control of the universe and remake it as he wants. Drawing his archangel blade, Lucifer demands that Jack and Sam fight to the death, suggesting that he will let the victor survive and they will have seven to ten days to find a way to stop him before he destroys everything. Though Sam orders Jack to kill him, Jack refuses and chooses to commit suicide to allow Sam to continue on.
As Jack starts stabbing himself, Dean arrives, now the vessel of Michael, but with Dean in control. Dean tells Lucifer that he and Michael have something in common: "we both wanna gut your ass." Now powered by Michael, Dean is able to kick Lucifer across the church and the two engage in battle, throwing each other all over the church and fighting in mid-air. However, Lucifer proves to be the stronger and beats Dean up in mid-air, taunting that Dean gave it a good try, "but I'm not just powerful now, I am power. And I don't need a blade to end you pal."
As Lucifer begins smiting Dean, Sam tosses Michael's dropped archangel blade to Dean. Dean stabs Lucifer in the heart with the archangel blade, causing him to drop Dean. Still floating in mid-air, fire pours from Lucifer's eyes and wound as he screams in horrific agony before dropping dead to the floor in a final flash of light, his corpse surrounded by his burned wings.
Sam congratulates his brother, who takes it in stride before Michael begins to take control of Dean who weakly protests of their deal. Sam sees that Michael has full control as the latter thanks Dean for "the suit," and disappears, leaving Sam and Jack behind.
At the bunker, Mary and Bobby return to the main area where they find Castiel sitting down, bemoaning Dean's fate as the vessel for the corrupt Archangel. As Mary and Bobby approach him, Castiel simply shakes his head in despair, as he knows what had happened.
On the streets, Michael walks in the rain wearing an old-fashioned suit as his new outfit and smiles to himself as he makes plans of his new reign of terror on the new world.
- Jared Padalecki as Sam Winchester
- Jensen Ackles as Dean Winchester and Alternate Michael
- Mark Pellegrino as Lucifer
- Misha Collins as Castiel
- Alexander Calvert as Jack
Special Guest Stars
- Christian Keyes as Alternate Michael
- Katherine Evans as Maggie
- Stephi Chin-Salvo as Ryan
- Agape Mngomezulu as Nate
- Jag Bal as Werewolf #2
Featured Supernatural Beings
- Angels (Zachariah, flashback only)
- Archangels (Lucifer, Alternate Michael; Gabriel, flashback only)
- Dragons (mentioned only)
- Ghoul (Dave Mather, flashback only)
- Nephilim (Jack)
- Primordial Entity (God, mentioned only)
- Seraphim (Castiel)
- Werewolves (Marina Werewolves)
- Witch (Rowena MacLeod, mentioned only)
- Werewolves were previously featured in Breakdown.
- Holy Oil was previously used in Scoobynatural.
- Michael made plans to invade the main world in War of the Worlds as of this episode he has accomplished it.
- Lucifer mentions Sam leaving him in Apocalypse World which took place in Exodus.
- The episode was watched by 1.63 million viewers and got a 0.5 rating. This is the second least watched season finale behind Survival of the Fittest in Season 7.
- This is the second season finale to feature a Nephilim with All Along the Watchtower in Season 12 being the first one.
- This is the third season finale to feature Mary Winchester with Alpha and Omega (Season 11) and All Along the Watchtower in (Season 12) being the first two.
- This is the third season finale to feature Lucifer with Swan Song (Season 5) and All Along the Watchtower (Season 12) being the first two.
- This is the ninth season finale to feature a version of Bobby Singer with Devil's Trap (Season 1), All Hell Breaks Loose - Part 2 (Season 2), No Rest for the Wicked (Season 3), Lucifer Rising (Season 4), Swan Song (Season 5), The Man Who Knew Too Much (Season 6), Survival of the Fittest (Season 7) and All Along the Watchtower (Season 12) being the first eight.
- This is the fifth season finale to feature an Archangel, with Lucifer Rising (Season 4; Lucifer), Swan Song (Season 5; Lucifer and Michael), The Man Who Knew Too Much (Season 6; Raphael), and All Along the Watchtower (Season 12; Lucifer) being the first four.
- This is the fourth episode of the season to feature all the main characters with Lost & Found, Beat the Devil and Exodus being the first three.
- Filming concluded on this episode April 20, 2018 finishing the entire season as a whole.
- This episode marks the first time Castiel sees Alternate Michael.
- As of this episode, all of Team Free Will has met the Alternate Michael.
- This is the second episode Team Free Will 2.0 go on a hunt together with Tombstone being the first one. They are implied to have become a full-time hunting team following their return from Apocalypse World.
- This is the third episode where Jack is seen sleeping with Lost & Found and The Rising Son being the first two.
- This is the third episode to feature a death of an Archangel with The Man Who Knew Too Much and Exodus being the first two.
- This is the third episode where a Winchester allows an Archangel possess them.
- As of this episode, Michael is the only Archangel alive on Earth following the death of Lucifer.
- Lucifer tells Sam that Jack isn't "the nougat-loving boy" he had before. This is a reference to Lost & Found when Jack comments on how he likes nougat after trying it for the first time. Lucifer also tells Sam that Jack has "lots of blood on his hands" now but Sam doesn't care.
- Dean experiences flashbacks to Sympathy for the Devil and Changing Channels to when Zachariah and Gabriel tell him about his being the Michael Sword, the one true vessel of Michael.
- Dean becomes the vessel for Alternate Michael in order to battle and finally kill Lucifer. Afterwards, Michael takes full control of Dean's body and departs, loose upon the Main Universe in his true vessel.
- Due to his deal with Michael when becoming his vessel, Dean displays the powers of teleportation, astral projection, flight, invulnerability and regeneration while battling Lucifer.
- In the opening scene, the werewolves argue about the Kardashian family. In There Will Be Blood, Dean had joked to Emily that the Kardashians were "just another bloodsucker."
- In this episode, Donald Trump is confirmed to be President of the United States with Sam mentioning all of his ongoing controversies. This was previously implied by a comment made by Kaia Nieves in The Bad Place. No mention is made of the fate of Jefferson Rooney, the President possessed by Lucifer in Season 12's LOTUS.
- Bobby Singer calls Donald Trump "that idjit from The Apprentice," confirming that Apocalypse World had both a Donald Trump and the reality show The Apprentice.
- The freeze frame in the final scene is a reference to the final scene of Michael Jackson's music video "Thriller".