LOTUS is the eighth episode of Season 12. It aired on December 8th, 2016.
THE CHASE CONTINUES – Lucifer’s search for power and influence in a vessel lands him in the White House. The President of The United States (guest star David Chisum) unknowingly makes a deal with the devil, leading Sam, Dean, Castiel, Crowley and Rowena to band together to fight the Dark Lord.
- Jared Padalecki as Sam Winchester
- Jensen Ackles as Dean Winchester
- Misha Collins as Castiel
- Mark Sheppard as Crowley
- David Chisum as Jefferson Rooney and Lucifer
- Stephen Lobo as Rick Sanchez
- Michael Querin as Archbishop
Featured Supernatural BeingsEdit
- Lucifer is forced back into his Cage in this episode. He escaped it in season 11's "The Devil in the Details".
- Arthur Ketch makes an appearance in this episode. This time he introduces and allies himself with Sam and Dean.
- A Nephilim previously appeared in season 8's "Clip Show".
- Lucifer's eyes glow pure red instead of reddish orange as they did in previous episodes.
- In the scene in which the Secret Service 2016 Chevy Suburban was blown up, the explosion and subsequent wreckage shows a much older 2004 Chevy Suburban.
- The episode was watched by 1.73 million viewers and got a 0.6 rating.
- This episode is the mid-season finale, and the last to air in 2016.
- The title of the episode is a word play. The "LOTUS" may be a pun of the acronym "POTUS," which stands for "President of the United States". "LOTUS" may also be "Leader of the United States." The "LOTUS" may mean "Lucifer of the United States," since he possessed a president of USA.
- This is the first episode to have a Nephilim conceived by an Archangel.
- This episode establishes that Lucifer has a weakness towards crosses and the Bible. This is unusual given that he is still an archangel, not a demon.
- Jensen reported long before the episode aired that he caught fire on his sleeve while filming a scene, and instead of showing concern, Jared laughed. This is most likely the scene when Dean handled the Bible Kelly had touched.