The Mark of Cain is the source of The First Blade's power. It is one half of the weapon that Cain used against the rest of the Knights of Hell. Cain later transferred the mark to Dean, so that the hunter could kill Abaddon.
When Dean used the First Blade for the first time, he felt a murderous rage that did not dissipate after he killed a victim with it. It later gave him immunity to Abaddon's powers and telekinesis and have a telekinetic control of the blade, all with great concentration, allowing him to overcome and kill her. After killing Abaddon, this rage caused him to mutilate her corpse. He also displayed superhuman strength while fighting a vampire. Dean later showed precognition, receiving a nightmare about a slaughter he would later commit under the Mark's influence.
When the bearer of the Mark receives a mortal wound that would kill them, the mark transforms their soul into a Knight of Hell, so that it can live on, and never perish.
Effects of the markEdit
The mark imbues its bearer with several great powers.
- Super Strength - The mark grants the bearer enough strength to overpower a vampire and shrug out of an angel's hold. Dean was able to effortlessly hoist Abaddon into the air while stabbing her with the blade.
- Murderous Rage - The mark affects the bearer to where they constantly must kill something, if they don't they'll eventually die as pointed out by Crowley. Cain, as a demon, was totally unaffected by this and could go forever with the Mark without killing.
- Telekinesis - The mark grants the bearer the ability to summon the blade to the hand that calls it.
- Resurrection - The mark, if the wearer dies, will resuscitate the bearer back to life as a demon, more specificaly a Knight of Hell. This can be reversed through the Demon Curing Ritual though the wielder will still retain the Mark even after being rendered human again.
- Immunity - The mark allows the wearer immunity to demonic powers, as shown by Dean resisting Abaddon's telekinesis. It also granted Dean great resistance to the Demon Curing Ritual, causing him to retain demonic mannerisms long into the ritual even when he was made human enough to be immune to a devil's trap. However, the Mark did not make him completely immune and he was eventually cured.
- Super Stamina - The mark greatly enhances the bearers stamina. Dean was able to go without sleep or food for several days with no ill effects.
- Precognition - Dean had a nightmare that showed him in a room having slaughtered a group of men. It later came true.
- This Mark was given to Cain by Lucifer. There are only three possible scenarios in which Cain could receive this mark; either Lucifer touched him using a vessel, or in his true form somehow, was able to brand it as if he were casting a spell and the mark formed itself.
- The Mark of Cain can only be worn by someone worthy, as explained by Cain. The conditions required to be considered such are unknown although Cain stated that Dean is very similar to him as both brothers sacrificed themselves in order to save Sam and Abel respectively. Dean inquired as to whether he needed to be a killer like Cain, to which he replied he did, meaning that the mark can only be worn by people who have killed, as well as other requirements.
- It is quite possible, that if the bearer of the Mark concentrates and wills enough, they could become immune to demonic powers, as Dean Winchester was able to fight and become immune to Abaddon's telekinesis during their brief fight, though the Mark glowed red with power so it could just be temporary effect.
- Because Lucifer's powers are the source of the Mark, this could be the reason that when a bearer of the Mark dies they are resurrected as a demon as stated Lucifer is the father and creator of demons.
- Though Dean is now human again, he still retains the Mark which as Castiel points out, will become a problem in the future. He also still possesses the potential to become a demon once more as the Mark will turn him into one if he dies again.
- It is confirmed that the mark's effects still affect Dean after him being cured of being a demon, as he still had to deal with the Murderous Rage, shown by his mass-murder of a group of people.
- It seems that the mark is so mysterious that even the Men of Letters don't have any record about it.
- Season 9
- Season 10