|“||Is there anything else I can help you with?||”|
Mercury was the Roman god of messengers. He was the desk clerk of the Elysian Fields Hotel in which the other Deities gathered to discuss the Apocalypse. He was the one who obtains blood from Sam and Dean, so Kali could bind them to her. He betrayed their location (and thus the location of the Winchesters) to Lucifer, resulting in his murder, alongside nearly all the other deities, save for Kali, who was saved by the archangel Gabriel.
A man working at Elysian Fields Hotel is confronted by Mercury, who tells him that he can't be here at night. Mercury says everyone has their role to play in the Apocalypse, even humans, and kills the man, serving him later as dinner. He later greets Sam and Dean as they enter the hotel, and takes blood from them without them noticing.
Lucifer eventually arrives himself, as Mercury had tipped him off to the Winchesters' location. Lucifer begins to explain how petty he finds the Pagan deities as they are always fighting and blaming things on themselves, claiming that they are worse than humans and demons and proceeds to snap Mercury's neck, killing him.
Mercury was very slick and slim. He was dressed in a red dress suit and had black hair. He acted as the majordomo of the hotel the deities were convening in, assembling the meal and providing information from the service desk.
Mercury did not care for humans at all, feeling no remorse in killing, cooking, and capturing them. However, he was respectful and well mannered to other beings. He was also sensible and suggested that the deities try to talk to the angels rather than fight them. Despite this, he was disloyal to his fellow divinities and sold them out by calling Lucifer, a character flaw which the latter noticed and condemned him for.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
Mercury was a powerful pagan deity who could overpower and rip apart humans without a smidge of difficulty and run overwhelmingly fast.
- Advanced Super Speed - Mercury could run or simply move his body extremely fast, faster than the human eye can see. It would be a fair, logical presumption to say that only beings with teleportation are faster than him.
- Reality Warping - He could influence the environment around him, and was able to transform the Elysian Fields Hotel from an abandoned wreck, into a four-star hotel. However, he may have done this with his super speed.
- Super Strength - Mercury could casually overpower a grown man and rip him apart with his bare hands.
- Influence Over Vegetation - He was able to restore a dead flower to its bloom.
- Invulnerability - As a deity, Mercury could only be harmed by beings of great power, taking beings like Kali to harm him, and Lucifer and the other archangels are able to easily kill him.
- Immortality - As a deity, Mercury could live forever.
- Mercury has influenced the name of many things in a variety of scientific fields, such as the planet Mercury, and the element mercury, which it was formally associated.
- Mercury could be, like his Greek counterpart Hermes, a trickster, this could explain his ability to transform a dilapidated motel into a "4-star" hotel in Hammer of the Gods. This could mark the first appearance of a real trickster, as Gabriel was not a true trickster, just an archangel pretending to be one.
- Whether or not the Greek and Roman names of the Greco-Roman deities are interchangeable in the Supernatural universe has yet to be clarified; if they are, he is the son of Zeus and Roman counterpart to Hermes.
- Actor John Emmet Tracy also portrayed Tom in the Season 13 episode "The Big Empty".
- Mercury on Wikipedia