Monster Movie is the 5th episode of Season 4. It aired on October 16th, 2008.
|Summaries are official releases from The CW. Do not change!|
Dean and Sam investigate several murders at Oktoberfest. The first victim was found with bite marks on her neck, much like a vampire would leave, while the second victim has wounds that look like a werewolf attack. After a mummy rises from his crypt, Dean determines that a shape-shifter demon is terrorizing the town as iconic monsters from the old Hollywood movies.
PlotEditDean and Sam are driving into Pennsylvania to investigate a vampire murder, but Sam is somewhat distracted by the upcoming end of the world. Dean, however, is happy to be working on an old-school, black and white monster case, like they used to. The brothers find themselves at Oktoberfest in Canonsburg, PA. After buying pretzels and admiring the local women, they spot Sheriff Dietrich and approach him, posing as FBI agents Angus and Young. He takes them to the morgue and shows them the murder victim, Marissa Wright, who notably is not the mangled mess they have become accustomed to seeing as a vampire victim, only having sustained two perfectly circular puncture wounds on her neck. He then directs them to the witness, Ed Brewer, but warns that he isn't reliable. They go to the Bavarian Beerhaus Tavern to find Ed and talk to the waitress, Jamie, who directs them to Ed. They find him gulping from a gigantic stein of beer and ask him for details, but he is reluctant to talk anymore because he's already been made a laughing stock. He finally explains that he was walking through the park when he spotted what he initially thought was a couple kissing, until the woman started struggling. Ed's description of the man is a perfect match to the movie version of Dracula, complete with Transylvanian accent, which he demonstrates for them.
Jamie talks with another waitress, Lucy, who daubs her lipstick on a napkin and moves off. Dean and Sam go back to the bar and Sam notices the napkin. Dean figures that the "vampire" is an impostor who just wants to hang out at Oktoberfest. He asks Jamie for a date and then informs Sam that he's come back from Hell completely restored, and wants to get rid of his restored virginity. Sam goes back to the hotel and Dean tells Jamie that the case isn't weird enough for them to stick around.
A couple are making out on lover's lane while a wolf howls in the distance. A wolf-like man approaches the car then rips the man out of the car as the girl, Anne-Marie, screams.
The next day Sam and Dean talk to Anne-Marie and confirm that she saw a classic movie werewolf kill her boyfriend Rick Deacon, complete with furry face, black nose, claws and torn up clothes. They go to the morgue and examine Rick's body, concluding that the murderer was supernatural. However, the killer didn't remove the heart, indicating it's not a werewolf like the ones they've fought. Dietrich reveals that they've found wolf hairs on the body. They head back to the bar and discuss the fact that werewolves don't have actual wolf hair. Jamie comes over and agrees to a date with Dean that night.At the Canonsburg Museum of Natural History, a security guard discovers that an Egyptian sarcophagus just appeared on the dock. As he calls for confirmation, a mummy emerges from the sarcophagus. The guard's gun proves useless and the mummy strangles him. The brothers go to the museum after the police secure the scene and discover the sarcophagus is from a prop house and the "mummy" used dry ice for its smoke. Dean leaves Sam to check it out and goes to meet Jamie. Jamie has been waiting for Dean and takes off when he doesn't show. She walks down the street, only to find Dracula behind her. He corners her in a dead-end alley and refers to her as the reincarnation of his beloved, Mina. She sprays him with pepper spray and runs past him and into Dean. Dean, unimpressed, punches Dracula but the vampire quickly overwhelms him. The vampire calls Dean "Harker" but Dean yanks on his ears and rips one off, then yanks off his medallion. Dracula runs away and Dean goes after him. The vampire climbs over a locked gate and drives away on a scooter.
Back at the bar, Dean shows Sam the ear and tells him to touch it: It's the skin of a shapeshifter. Dean also shows him the medallion, which belongs to the same prop house as the fake sarcophagus. Sam figures that the shapeshifter is reenacting horror movies and recognizes the names Mina and Harker as characters from the novel Dracula. It must be fixated on Jamie, meaning he's been around her. Jamie doesn't recognize anybody who might be acting strange, but does note that Ed moved in a month ago and her friend Lucy claims he has a crush on her. He works as a projectionist at the old movie theater in town. Sam goes to investigate while Dean explains to Jamie about the real monsters that roam the world. She figures out he's not really FBI and figures that his life must suck given all the responsibility involved. Dean admits it used to weigh on him… until he had a near-death experience. Now he admits that things are different and he saves people, and it's his mission from God. She checks to see if that means he's celibate, and he admits it doesn't. They kiss but are interrupted when Lucy comes in to get a bottle. She wishes them well, but Jamie invites her to stay for a drink.
Sam approaches the theater and finds Ed playing what looks and sounds like pipe organ in shadow. Sam goes behind the curtain to take care of him, and finds him playing a small portable keyboard set upon a big desk, in his underwear. He sneaks up and aims his gun at him, declaring that he knows what he is, and knows what he's been doing. He yanks on terrified Ed's ear, only to discover that it's real.At the bar, Lucy dabs her lipstick on a napkin and talks to Dean and Jamie, who starts to pass out. Realizing that she's drugged them, Dean punches Lucy, distorting her face and revealing "she" is the shapeshifter.
Jamie collapses and Dean breaks a bottle and tries to hold Lucy off but faints. He wakes up, clad in lederhosen and bound to a metal contraption, in a basement laboratory that Lucy has set up. The shapeshifter is in his Dracula form and reveals that "Lucy" was an actress from a horror movie. The shapeshifter believes he's Dracula and all the other characters, preferring them to real life. Dean points out that every monster movie ends with the hero winning and the monster dying, but Dracula is confident he'll write the ending. He slowly prepares to electrocute Dean, thinking he's Jonathan Harker, but the doorbell rings. The shapeshifter goes to answer the door and finds a puzzled pizza delivery boy. As he pays for the pizza, getting a discount with a coupon, Sam returns to the bar and finds the napkin, and realizes Lucy is the shapeshifter.Jamie wakes up to find Dracula waiting for her. Still thinking she's Mina, he asks her to put on the gown he's provided and offers her pizza. She resists, but he finally snaps and orders her to put it on. Meanwhile, Sam arrives at Lucy's house and slips in. The shapeshifter apologizes for scaring Jamie, who tries to convince him he can't make the movies real. He notes that he has spent his life being called a monster and his father tried to beat him to death. He finally found the great monsters of the movies and has taken on their strength by assuming their form. The shapeshifter hears something and Jamie calls out for Dean. He knocks her out while Sam finds Dean and frees him, and they break through a fake door to make their escape. They find Jamie but the shapeshifter throws Sam through a wall (calling him Van Helsing) and beats back Dean. Dean knees him in the groin and tries to go for the gun loaded with silver bullets. The shapeshifter throws him back...but Jamie grabs the gun and shoots him. As he dies, the shapeshifter admits that perhaps that is how the movies should end.
The next day, Dean and Jamie kiss as the brothers prepare to leave town. She thanks them for saving her life and Sam admits it's good to be back on the job of simple monster-hunting. He says he wishes life would be more like a movie, and Sam figures the movie Dean would like life to be like is Porky's 2. Dean dismisses it as a lucky guess.
Featured Supernatural BeingsEdit
- Bach - Toccata & Fugue in D Minor
- The names Sam and Dean use are "Angus" and "Young." Angus Young is a member of the band AC/DC.
- Dietrich Sheriff mentions the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice, being the third time in the series referred to this author. The name Talbot [in Supernatural Bela's last name] also is important in Rice Vampire Chronicles, being a major player David Talbot, who even tells one of the chronicles, Merrick. In the episode "Malleus Maleficarum", when Dean called 911, said that the witch is in the "circle of Mayfair", being "The Mayfair Witches" another book series of the same author.
- The episode is composed in black-and-white, similar to old-fashioned movies.
- The X-Files and Bram Stoker's classic Dracula are referenced in the episode.
- "Lucy" (one of the monster's identities) is also a character from Dracula. In the original story, Lucy was Mina's best friend before being turned into a vampire by Count Dracula.
- On the episode, the Shapeshifter turns itself into Dracula, the Werewolf and the Mummy to kill its victims. At the bar with Sam and Jamie, after his encounter with the creature in Dracula's skin, Dean mentions the "Creature of the Black Lagoon" - also known as the Gillman - as one of the possibles future monster movie's creatures the Shapeshifter would mimic. All these creatures have appeared on Stephen King's famous novel, IT, as alternative natures of the villain's main personality, Pennywise, the Dancing Clown, a demoniac and ageless entity which used to kill children and feed of them. Perhaps, Dean is, indirectly, making reference towards this book.
- "I've been rehymenated!" - Dean on his restored virginity.
- Dean: Come on, man, it's like the good old days! An honest-to-goodness monster hunt! It's about time the Winchesters got back to tackling a straightforward, black-and-white case.
- Jamie: No self-respecting bar wench lets herself get picked up by a customer on the first try.
- Dracula: (to the pizza boy) Ah, you have brought a repast. Excellent. Continue to be of such service, and your life will be spared!
- Dracula: Was Beauty that killed the Beast. No, Mina, do not weep. Perhaps this is how the movie should end...
- Dean: (looking at bite marks on dead girl) What the hell?
- Deitrich: Hey, you got me. I mean, this killer is some kind of grade-A whacko, right? I mean, some Satan worshipping, Anne Rice-reading gothic psycho vampire-wannabe?
- Sam: (pulling on Ed's ear) It's supposed to come off!
- Ed: No, it's not!
- Dean: Hero gets the girl, monster gets the gank. All in all, happy ending. With a "happy ending," no less.
International Titles Edit
- German: Monsterfilm (Monster Movie)
- "Supernatural: "Monster Movie" Review", IGN review.