- "A Nephilim, an abomination. She's the offspring of an angel and a human."
- —Metatron and Castiel
As stated, Nephilim are the result of sexual reproduction between a human and an occupied angel vessel, the latter giving the offspring angelic properties. Nephilim are only created if their angelic parent has his or her grace during conception, which seems to the source of what makes a Nephilim. If an angel mates with a human without its grace, the resulting offspring will be completely human. Nephilim have glowing eyes like an angel, although their glow is somewhat dim and grayish in color as opposed to the bright white or bluish-white glow of regular angels.
Powers & AbilitiesEdit
- Astral Perception - A Nephilim can perceive the true form of angels without harm.
- Super Strength - Their angelic ancestry endows Nephilim with enhanced strength suficient to overpower and even toss common angels around. One was able to throw around a wounded seraph.
- Angel Blade - Being technically half-angel, Nephilim can be killed by an angel blade.
- The Colt - The Colt can kill almost anything in existence.
- The first part of a spell to expel all angels from Heaven is to "cut out the heart" of a Nephilim. According to Crowley's translation of the spell from the angel tablet, the Nephilim's heart itself is one of the three ingredients.
- The only Nephilim on Earth, Jane, was at least 20 years old but before the arrival of Castiel in 2008, 4 years previous, there were no known angels on Earth except for Archangel Gabriel. This has greatly implied that Gabriel may have fathered Jane with an unknown woman. This can be supported by that fact that Jane could easily dispatch Seraph Castiel despite only being half angel.