This article is about the creature. For the character, see Elias Finch.
Phoenixes were powerful monsters who appeared human, and were very rare in existence, so rare that, much like dragons, they were believed to be mythical even by veteran hunters like Bobby Singer or Samuel Colt. They had the power to burn anyone into ash with a simple touch of its hand. Even though a Phoenix was immortal and powerful, it was still vulnerable to iron like many other supernatural creatures. Like most monsters, a Phoenix could be killed, by being shot with the Colt.
They would combust upon death, and their ashes were able to kill Eve, the Mother of All.
Sam and Dean Winchester traveled back in time to the year 1861 to retrieve the ashes from a phoenix that was to be shot by the famous hunter Samuel Colt. They arrived just as Elias Finch, the Phoenix, was hanged, and he "died" swearing vengeance on the sheriff, judge, and deputy. That night, Elias rose from his grave and incinerated the judge with his touch. The sheriff died soon after in the same fashion, despite shooting Elias several times with his gun. The next day, Elias found the deputy cowering in a jail cell, protected by Dean.
Elias explained to Dean that he was framed for the murder of his wife. While the couple were visiting the town, the deputy had tried to rape Elias' wife, and when Elias intervened the deputy shot her and Elias. She died in Elias' arms however, being a Phoenix, the gunshot didn't harm him. The deputy then conspired with the judge and sheriff and accused Elias of killing his wife. He was unable to escape as he was bound with iron shackles.
He was unable to get to the deputy due to the iron bars surrounding him, so he grabbed a gun and shot the deputy instead. Dean fled and ran into his brother, who had retrieved the Colt from Samuel. Dean and Elias faced off in a classic cowboy style shootout, resulting in Dean killing Elias. The shot from the Colt caused the phoenix to burst into flames before leaving a pile of ash, which the brothers needed. While they did not acquire the ashes before being brought back to 2011, Samuel Colt had arranged for a package containing the ashes to be delivered to Sam Winchester in 2011.
Later, Dean packed the ashes of the Phoenix into five shotgun cartridges. He also drank the contents of one with an ounce of whiskey. He then tricked Eve into biting him, causing her to ingest blood that was mixed with Phoenix ash, poisoning and killing her from the inside.
Powers and AbilitiesEditPhoenixes were among the strongest and most durable of monsters as they were quite powerful, and almost impossible to kill.
- Incineration Touch - A Phoenix could incinerate anyone or anything with a single touch; their ability was so strong, they could reduce a whole man to ashes in seconds.
- Immortality - A Phoenix was immortal, and was immune to death by natural causes and aging. Based on Elias's comments, it seems before the Colt there was no known way to kill a Phoenix, although the fact it was known that they combust upon death, implies there are other ways to kill them.
- Invulnerability - Phoenixes were nearly completely invulnerable, and could take repeated shots in the chest with no reaction, although significant force, such as being hanged could knock them out for a while.
- Superhuman Strength - Phoenixes were incredibly strong; one Phoenix was strong enough to break out of its coffin after it had been nailed down and buried.
- Regeneration - Phoenixes could heal from most injuries, unless shot by the Colt.
- Pyrokinesis - Phoenixes could create and manipulate fire.
- The Colt - Phoenixes were able to be killed by being shot with the Colt, which Dean Winchester did in 1861.
- Iron - Dean figured out that a Phoenix could not touch iron, and like many creatures it burned their flesh. It also could not escape iron handcuffs.
- Elias Finch (deceased)
- Season 6
- Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting (non-canon, mentioned only)
- According to Andrew Dabb in Supernatural: The Official Companion Season 6, the phoenix is like a cancer. It was born from Eve's body but it's toxic to her. She cast it out, and it's hated by all monsters because it's poisonous to their mother. The phoenix has been on the run for thousands of years.
- While Phoenixes are stated in mythology to appear bird-like, on Supernatural they have the form of a human. Finch is, however, named after a bird.