This article is about the creature "Phoenix". For the character, see Elias Finch.
Phoenixes are powerful beings who appear human, and are very rare in existence, so rare that, much like Dragons, they are believed to by mythical even by veteran hunters, like Bobby or Samuel Colt. They have the power to burn anyone into ash with a simple touch of its hand. Even though a Phoenix is immortal and powerful, it is still vulnerable to iron like many other supernatural creatures. Like almost all creatures, a Phoenix can be killed, by being shot by the Colt.
They combust upon death; their ashes can kill Eve, the Mother of All.
Sam and Dean Winchester travel back to 1861 to retrieve the ashes from a phoenix that will be shot by the famous hunter Samuel Colt. They arrive just as Elias Finch is hanged, and he "dies" swearing vengeance on the sheriff, judge and deputy. That night Elias rises from his grave. The judge is the first to die, incinerated by Elias' touch. The sheriff dies soon after in the same fashion, despite shooting Elias several times with his gun. The next day, Elias finds the deputy cowering in a jail cell, protected by Dean.
Elias explains to Dean that he was framed for the murder of his wife. While the couple were visiting the town, the deputy tried to rape Elias' wife, and when he intervened the deputy shot her and Elias. She died in Elias' arms however, being a Phoenix, the gunshot didn't harm him. The deputy then conspired with the Judge and Sheriff and accused Elias of killing his wife. He was unable to escape as he was bound with iron shackles.
He is unable to get to the deputy due to the iron bars surrounding him, so he grabs a gun and shoots the deputy instead. Dean flees and runs into Sam, who has retrieved the Colt from Samuel. Dean and Elias face off in classic cowboy style, resulting in Dean killing Elias. The shot from the Colt causes the phoenix to burst into flames before leaving a pile of ash. The brothers were brought back before they could retrieve the phoenix's ashes. However, Samuel Colt arranges for a package to be delivered to Sam in 2011, containing the ashes. ("Frontierland")
Later, Dean packs the ashes of the phoenix into 5 shotgun cartridges. The contents of one he drinks with an ounce of whiskey. Later, he then tricks Eve into biting him, causing her to ingest blood that is mixed with phoenix ash, thus poisoning and killing her from the inside. ("Mommy Dearest")
Powers and AbilitiesEditPhoenixes are amongst the strongest and most durable of monsters, they are quite powerful, and almost impossible to kill.
- Incineration by touch - A Phoenix can incinerate anyone/anything with a single touch, their ability is so strong, they can reduce a whole man to ashes in seconds.
- Immortality - A Phoenix is immortal, meaning that it does not age at all. A Phoenix is immune to death by natural causes and aging. Based on Elias's comments, it seems before the Colt, there was no known way to kill a Phoenix, although the fact it was known that they combust upon death, implies there are other ways to kill them.
- Invulnerability - Phoenixes are nearly completely invulnerable, they can take repeated shots in the chest and not even react. Although significant force, such as being hanged can knock them out for a while.
- Superhuman Strength - Phoenixes are incredibly strong. One Phoenix was strong enough to break out of its coffin, after it had been nailed down and buried.
- Regeneration - Phoenixes can heal/regenerate from any and all non fatal injuries.
- Shapeshifting - The Phoenix can take human form to conceal its true form, which is bird-like.
- The Colt - Since this gun was created to kill almost anything, a Phoenix can be killed using the Colt. Which Dean does in a showdown.
- Iron - Dean figures out that a Phoenix can't touch Iron, as like many creatures, it burns their flesh, it also couldn't escape iron handcuffs.