|“||"This ain't the first time you've been here. You boys die more than anyone I've ever met."||”|
|“||"I'm the one who gripped you tight and raised you from Perdition."||”|
The Darkness, God, Death, and the archangels could do this effortlessly. Normal angels could do this too, but only via the power of Heaven. Seraphim and archangels possess the power even without being connected to Heaven. When angels resurrected beings, any kind of nearby vegetation was destroyed. Death, as a general rule, did not resurrect people as such acts disrupt the Natural Order. Archangels, namely Lucifer and Raphael, used resurrection in their torture, killing their enemies and continuously resurrecting them time after time. Even Gabriel, while posing as the Trickster, made Sam and Dean re-live a day over again repeatedly making Dean die while Sam watched. Months after stopping the cycle, Sam begged him to bring Dean back, and Gabriel returned Sam to the morning before Dean died, bringing him back to life again despite Dean having been dead and in Hell for months. Michael once resurrected Sam when Sam and Dean travelled to the past to save their parents from rogue angel Anna Milton during the time of the Apocalypse. Castiel, moments after his own resurrection and promotion to the rank of Seraphim was able to effortlessly resurrect Bobby Singer.
Demons can also use this power, but only in the context of a deal. Demons achieve this by channeling the power of the human soul from the deal made, able to grant almost any wish. This can be done even without selling a person's soul to the demon as long as a deal was made, such as when Azazel made deals to individuals when he went to make the special children without taking the souls of the future parents like Mary Winchester. A demon only needs to make a deal to harness the souls power to grant a wish, though most choose to take a person's soul to Hell upon death from the end of their contract. In order for someone to be resurrected, the practitioner must have all - or at least most of - the subject's molecular components available. Anna Milton planned to spread Sam Winchester's cells all across the universe in order to stop him from being resurrected. Resurrection can be performed with a spell: when Dean Winchester possessed the soul of the vampire Benny, he was able to travel to the graveyard where Benny was buried, dig up his body and cast a spell over the body, dripping blood with Benny's soul in it onto the bones. This resurrected Benny and he came back as a vampire.
The Thules, known for delving deep into necromancy, have managed to resurrect their dead members. Whether or not they actually possessed the ability to resurrect people or were simply practicing an extremely powerful version of necromancy was unclear, as their subjects were more than mindless zombies but actual resurrected humans. It is possible that 'necromancy' was only mistakenly used to describe their occult practices. However it should be noted that there subjects weren't completely natural humans, as afterwards they became immortal and could only die if shot in the head, and then had their body burned.
God possessed the ability to resurrect any being he wanted to, but almost never did due to His stepping back from Heaven. However, He resurrects Castiel three times: to help stop The Apocalypse, apparently as a reward with greater power for helping stop the Apocalypse, and Castiel believes the last one was a punishment for his actions in declaring himself God. He is also able to do this despite Castiel's body being completely destroyed each time. God himself later confirms this, telling Metatron that "I've rebuilt Castiel more times than I can remember and look where that's got me." However, even God's resurrection ability has a limit and he cannot resurrect the Archangels in any sort of timely fashion due to them being primordial entities.
The Darkness also possesses the power of resurrection. After Dean reunited her and God, the Darkness resurrected Mary Winchester despite it having been 33 years since she was killed and Mary having left behind no body.
The Mark of Cain possesses the ability to resurrect the wielder and will do so if they die. However, the Mark resurrects them as a demon without their souls spending time in Hell, more specifically, a Knight of Hell, and grants them true immortality as a demon to the point where not even Death could kill the bearer of the Mark.
Characters with this abilityEdit
- The Darkness
- Angels (Through the power of Heaven)
- Demons (by deals)
- Magic Practitioners
The list below documents individuals who have been brought back from the dead.
- Dean Winchester: Resurrected by Azazel, resurrected by Gabriel, pulled out of Hell and resurrected by Castiel, resurrected by Joshua, resurrected by Billie.
- Sam Winchester: Resurrected by a Crossroad demon, resurrected by Michael, resurrected by Joshua. resurrected by Billie.
- Adam Milligan: Resurrected by Zachariah as part of a plan to force Dean to say yes to Michael.
- Bobby Singer: Resurrected by Castiel.
- Castiel: Resurrected three times by God and once by Gadreel.
- Samuel Campbell: Resurrected by Crowley.
- John Winchester: Resurrected by Azazel as part of a deal with Mary Winchester.
- Benny Lafitte: Resurrected by Dean with a spell as part of a deal to help him escape Purgatory.
- Prometheus: Due to a curse that Zeus placed him under.
- Oliver: Due to Zeus' curse being passed down to him by his father.
- Charlie Bradbury: Resurrected by Gadreel after being killed by The Wicked Witch.
- Josie Sands: Resurrected by the Human Body Restoration Ritual to act as a vessel for Abaddon.
- Dorothy: Resurrected by an unknown party after The Wicked Witch killed her in Oz.
- Young woman: Resurrected by Metatron in order to get humanity to worship him.
- Cain: Resurrected by Mark of Cain after committing suicide as a demon and a Knight of Hell.
- Rowena: Resurrected by her Resurrection Seal after Lucifer broke her neck.
- People of Hope Springs, Idaho: Resurrected by God after choosing to fight the Darkness.
- Mary Winchester: Resurrected by the Darkness as a "thank you" for Dean helping her reconcile with her brother.
- Adolf Hitler: Resurrected by the Thule.
- Kelly Kline: Resurrected by Lucifer's son following her suicide.
- The Forty Year: Spirits resurrected every forty years by Elizabeth Claire Marbrough's spell cast in revenge against her son and the town of Cedar Wells, Arizona. Amongst those resurrected were Neville Stein, Harmon Baird's father, Stu and Howard Patrick. Ended when Dean broke the spell with the help of Harmon Baird and Juliet Monroe.
- A person who sold their soul to a crossroads demon who died before the deal was complete, will be forced to continue the contract once they have been resurrected, as seen with Bobby Singer.