Seraphim are a higher class of angel, above normal angels such as Uriel and Joshua, but lower in status than archangels. Their exact role in Heaven is unclear. Akobel was sent to watch, observe and learn about humanity.
A seraph can easily smite lower demons with minimal effort, whereas a regular angel required far more focus to do so. Castiel, even in a weakened state, was able to intimidate the King of Hell into fleeing when he appeared like he was about to try to smite him.
When God resurrected Castiel after Lucifer killed him, he chose to upgrade his celestial status considerably, making him a seraph. When Castiel regained his memories he was much more powerful than before, being able to smite several demons effortlessly. When he was a normal angel it took him a great deal of focus to kill demons with the touch, and he was not strong enough to kill demons like Alastair, but with his new seraph power, in a weakened state he was capable of killing Crowley, the King of Hell.
Unlike standard angels, Seraphs powers are imbued within them, meaning they still possess all of their powers, even if they become fallen angels, and are cut off from Heaven, as demonstrated by Castiel when he killed a monster in Purgatory, in contrast with the first time he fell and lost that power because he was cut off from Heaven. The major difference between average angels and a seraph that the latter possesses several cosmic powers lower angels don't, and some they do, but at a greatly elevated level. They can bend time, heal humans of any injury or illness and revive humans effortlessly.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
As a higher-tier class of angels, a seraph innately possess all the standard powers and more abilities of normal, low-tier angels, only at a higher level. Unlike normal Angels, they don't lose any of their powers after they fall.
- Angelic Possession - A seraph requires a vessel to manifest physically on Earth, and, like all angels, they must bear their consent.
- Immortality - A seraph, like all angels, by nature, can't die by any natural means of death. They are impervious to bullets, knives, bombs, and any other conventional human ways of killing.
- Superhuman Stamina - A seraph never tires or gets fatigued. A seraph does not require food, sleep, or oxygen.
- Super Strength - As a higher class of angel endowed with greater strength, seraphs are extremely strong. They can lift at least 1 ton, as demonstrated by Castiel when he lifted an anvil with no difficulty, and they can overpower and destroy humans, spirits, monsters, demons, and low-tier angels, but are completely inferior against the archangels. Seraphs are also strong enough to fight and overpower two Leviathans for at least a short time when other angels are easily overpowered by them. Castiel was able to rupture a stone wall just by touching it.
- Biokinesis - A seraph is able to cure a human turning into a monster. Castiel was able to stop Dean from becoming a Jefferson Starship.
- Advanced Telepathy - A seraph can easily read the minds of humans. By touching Rowena's forehead, Castiel was able to dig into her mind and see a vision of the one person she loved.
- Dream Walking - Castiel was able to enter Fred Jones' dream. He was even able to take Sam with him.
- Pyrokinesis - A seraph can generate and manipulate fire.
- Healing - A seraph can heal others from severe wounds. Castiel was able to regrow a cut off finger on a human and heal gunshot wounds with ease. However, some things are beyond their power to heal as when Sam Winchester was damaged on a subatomic level from his trials, Castiel said it was beyond his power to fix. Castiel was also unable to heal the damage to Amelia Novak from a Grigori feeding on her soul.
- Resurrection - A seraph can bring back the dead as seen when Castiel effortlessly resurrected Bobby Singer minutes after becoming one.
- Invisibility- A seraph can become invisible to humans.
- Smiting - As all angels, a seraph is able to burn out the eyes of humans, monsters, and demons, killing them. While in Purgatory, Castiel attempted to smite a Leviathan but was unable to.
- Regeneration - Like all angels, Seraphs can heal from injuries inflicted upon them. However, wounds caused by angelic weapons take longer to heal.
- Reality Warping - A seraph possesses reality warping abilities. Castiel was able to assemble a game by simply shaking the box and later fill a vial with his blood simply by cupping it.
- Mental Manipulation - A seraph can manipulate, erase or restore a person's perceptions and memories of events. Castiel was able to erase Lisa and Ben's memories of Dean and later show Dean the true version of what happened when he escaped Purgatory. He was also able to transfer Sam's madness into his own mind.
- Soul Reading/Channeling - Castiel has shown the ability to read a person's soul to check the marker of another angel had left there, see if there is a soul there and check the state of the soul. He has also displayed the ability to channel power from a human soul, though this had to be done very gingerly and could result in the death of the human if done wrong.
- Power Negation - A seraph is capable of removing powers from empowered humans, however, it can leave them mentally damaged to do so and is very painful to the individual losing the power.
- Advanced Holy White Light - As a seraph, Castiel was able to emit white light. Even while weakened from his time in Purgatory, the threat of Castiel using this power against the King of Hell Crowley forced him to retreat.
- Vessel Locking - A seraph can hold a demon in smoke form as if it was tangible and force the demon to return to its vessel. This was demonstrated by Castiel on Ellsworth.
- Animal Communication - Castiel was able to speak to and understand a cat.
- Astral Projection - Like other angels, Seraphs can display their wings in a show of intimidation. Castiel showed his wings while threatening to blast Crowley and later after regaining his grace and status as a Seraph.
- Mental Projection - Upon his return from Purgatory, Castiel's attempts to reach out to Dean caused an image of him to appear beside the road and outside a window. Castiel's weakened state caused these images to only last a very short period of time before disappearing however.
- Hypnotism - By touching his hand to a Secret Service agent's forehead, Castiel was able to make him believe that there was no one in a motel room but Kelly Klein.
Former Powers Edit
Castiel's grace was stolen by Metatron in order to cast a spell to expel all angels from Heaven. After retrieving his original grace, Castiel regained his wings but they were damaged. Because of the condition of his wings, he wasn't able to access some of his powers anymore.
- Chronokinesis - A seraph can travel through time, with greater ease than lower angels, and they are also able to send others either forward or backwards through time, with the same ease. They can send others through time without having to travel with them as well. They can also bend (freezing and speeding up) the time.
- Teleportation - A seraph can teleport from one place to another instantly. Castiel, was able to poke into Lucifer's Cage and grab Sam, but couldn't get his soul from the grasp of Lucifer and Michael.
- Primordial entities - Amara, God, Death and the Archangels could annihilate any seraph effortlessly.
- Angel Blade/Sword - An angel blade can kill a seraph but Castiel has shown more immunity than lower angels. However Akobel was instantly killed when he was stabbed through the chest.
- Archangel Blade - It is even more powerful than Angel Blades.
- Angel banishing sigil - When activated, such a mark can temporarily banish a seraph.
- Leviathans - Being older than angels in general, number of leviathans are able to possess and kill a seraph and prevent them from using their abilities such as teleportation. However, Castiel is capable of holding his own against the Old Ones and is capable of pushing them back and even knocking them down even when fighting two at once. However, it should be noted, Dick Roman the highest ranking Leviathan was able to throw around Castiel with relative ease.
- Eve - Like the Leviathans, Eve was older than angels and showed the ability to prevent them from using their powers. She also suggested she was able to kill Castiel, when she told the Winchesters she would exchange his life and Bobby's as a bonus for the Winchesters' agreement to work for her.
- Common Angelic Weaknesses - A seraph is vulnerable against Holy Oil, Heaven's weapons, etc.
- The First Blade - Like all angels, a seraph is vulnerable to the First Blade.
- Death's Scythe- It can kill anything.
- Lance of Michael - Fatally poisons any angel stabbed with it, including a Seraphim. Nearly killed Castiel before being broken by Crowley.
Known Seraphs Edit
- In lore, Seraphs are a type of Angel that are known for continually worshiping and praising God, which they do day and night. Their form is burning and fiery, and has six enormous feathered wings, two covering their face, and two covering their feet, and two with which they fly. Seraphs are claimed to be so powerful and holy, that any human that looks upon them in their true form will die. Unlike other angels in Christian lore, seraphs have the ability to purify sin, control and manipulate fire, light, and inflame human emotions and thoughts. Even inflame God's holy love on to a human as well. Along with the Cherubim (which have four faces - ox, lion, eagle and man - and four wings and also cow's feet) and Ophanim/Thrones (celestial wheels with inner wheels covered in eyes and sometimes wings), the Seraphim typically represent the highest sphere of Angels in Christian lore, and it should be noted that although 'Archangel' is the second to lowest rank, Satan/Lucifer has been named as a Cherub and a Chief Seraph in some texts. Judaism, by contrast, ranks Seraphim as fifth in the angelic hierarchy. The literature describes them as beings with six wings: two to cover their face with, two to cover their legs with and two to fly with.
- Both Castiel and Akobel showed sympathy towards humans.