Team Free Will is a nickname made up by Dean after time traveling back from 1978 to 2009.
The nicknames were based on Sam's former demon blood addiction, possibly Dean's uselessness and Castiel's state of unconsciousness, as a result from time travelling.
Dean did not use the name of this team for a number of years, though he continued to fight for free will and object any outside force that tried to control him or his teammates.
In 2017, when Castiel began to doubt his own importance, Dean reminded him that he, Sam and Dean were members of Team Free Will.
- The reason for the name may be because Michael, the team's enemy, opposed free will, as he told Dean prior to sending him back to the present.
- Two of three of Team Free Will's original members have been possessed by Lucifer.
- Two of the three members have killed a primordial entity. Dean has killed Death and Castiel has killed Raphael.
- Each member was responsible for the death of a Prince of Hell: Dean killed Azazel, Sam killed Ramiel, and Castiel killed Dagon.
- Although not considered an actual member of the team, Crowley is on/off ally of Team Free Will, and has been since the year the team was founded.
- Two members have died at least once in a season finale.
- Dean was killed by a hellhound in No Rest for the Wicked (Season 3).
- Castiel died for the first time when Raphael used Molecular Combustion on him off-screen in Lucifer Rising (Season 4) and again in Swan Song by Lucifer, but was later resurrected both times by God. He died again in All Along the Watchtower (Season 12) when Lucifer stabbed him with an angel blade.