|“||Two salty hunters, one half-angel kid, and a dude that just came back from the dead, again. Team Free Will 2.0||”|
Team Free Will is a nickname made up by Dean after time traveling back from 1978 to 2010.
The nicknames were based on Sam's former demon blood addiction, possibly Dean's uselessness in the normal world and Castiel's state of unconsciousness, as a result from time traveling.
Dean did not use the name of this team for a number of years, though he continued to fight for free will and object any outside force that tried to control him or his teammates.
In 2017, when Castiel began to doubt his own importance, Dean reminded him that he, Sam and Dean were members of Team Free Will.
After Castiel's resurrection, Dean declared Team Free Will 2.0 to be "two salty hunters, one half-angel kid and a dude who just came back from the dead, again." Following the rescue of Mary Winchester and Jack from Apocalypse World, Team Free Will 2.0 are seen hunting werewolves together, indicating that they became a full-time hunting team following their reunion.
Team Free Will 2.0 (Season 13)Edit
Team Free Will 2.0 allies/non-official membersEdit
- Arthur Ketch (as of The Thing)
- Rowena MacLeod (as of Funeralia)
- Mary Winchester (as of Exodus)
- Alternate Bobby Singer (as of Exodus)
- Alternate Charlie (as of Exodus)
- Lucifer (temporarily in Exodus; deceased)
- Gabriel (as of Unfinished Business; deceased)
- Jody Mills
- Donna Hanscum
- Claire Novak
- Kaia Nieves
- Annie Jones
- Patience Turner
Original Team Free Will (Seasons 5-12)Edit
Original Team Free Will allies/non-official membersEdit
- Jody Mills
- Donna Hanscum
- Bobby Singer (deceased)
- Crowley (deceased)
- Rufus Turner (deceased)
- Kevin Tran (deceased)
- Charlie Bradbury (deceased)
- Benny Lafitte (deceased)
- Balthazar (deceased)
- Season 5
- Season 12
- Season 13
- The reason for the name may be because Michael, the team's enemy, opposed free will as he told Dean prior to sending him back to the present.
- Two of Team Free Will's original three members have been possessed by Lucifer. However, Lucifer has appeared as all members at least once.
- Two of Team Free Will's original members have been possessed by Crowley.
- Two of Team Free Will's original members have been possessed by an angel and a demon at the same time.
- Two of Team Free Will's original three members have killed a primordial entity.
- Two of Team Free Will's original three members have killed an archangel with the help of an outside source of power.
- Each of Team Free Will's original members have died and come back to life.
- Each of Team Free Will's original members has time traveled.
- Each Team Free Will's original members have been sent to Purgatory.
- Each of Team Free Will's original members have used The Colt but only Sam and Dean have killed beings with it.
- Each of Team Free Will's original members has killed a main antagonist.
- Each of Team Free Will's original members have been possessed by an archangel.
- Sam was possessed by Lucifer in Swan Song in order to lock Lucifer back in his Cage.
- Castiel was possessed by Lucifer from The Devil in the Details to We Happy Few in order to battle the Darkness.
- Dean consented to possession by Apocalypse World Michael in Let the Good Times Roll in order to gain the power to finally kill Lucifer.
- Each of Team Free Will's original members have held control of themselves while possessed by an archangel.
- Sam seized control back from Lucifer to send Lucifer back into Lucifer's Cage.
- Castiel seized control from Lucifer when Lucifer tried to kill Sam, but could barely hold Lucifer back from killing Sam and did not have the strength to expel him.
- As part of his deal with Apocalypse World Michael, Dean held control of his body after consenting to possession by Michael. In this state, Dean was powered by Michael and used several of the archangel's powers to fight and kill Lucifer. Michael then betrayed his deal with Dean and took full control of his body.
- In the Season 13 finale Let the Good Times Roll, Team Free Will 2.0, minus Castiel, accomplished the original team's goal when Dean killed Lucifer with the help of the Apocalypse World Michael.
- Each of Team Free Will's original members was responsible for the death of a Prince of Hell: Dean killed Azazel, Sam killed Ramiel, and Castiel killed Dagon. The team's new member, Jack, granted Castiel the power to kill Dagon. Only one Prince was killed by an ally of Team Free Will.
- Two versions of Zachariah have been killed by a member of Team Free Will. The Main Universe Zachariah was killed by Dean Winchester in Point of No Return and the Apocalypse World Zachariah was killed by Jack in Good Intentions.
- Although not considered an actual member of the team, Crowley is on/off ally of Team Free Will, and has been since the year the team was founded.
- Two members have died at least once in a season finale.
- Dean was killed by a hellhound in No Rest for the Wicked (Season 3). He also died after being killed by Metatron in Do You Believe In Miracles? (Season 9) and subsequently came back to life as a demon.
- Castiel died for the first time when Raphael used Molecular Combustion on him off-screen in Lucifer Rising (Season 4) and again in Swan Song by Lucifer, but was later resurrected both times by God. He died again in All Along the Watchtower (Season 12) when Lucifer stabbed him with an angel blade but was resurrected in The Big Empty by the Cosmic Entity.
- As of the Season 13 episode The Big Empty, each of Team Free Will's original members has faced another version of their character.
- Dean faced a demon version of himself in Dream A Little Dream Of Me (Season 3) and another one on the apocalyptic universe in The End (Season 5).
- Sam faced two versions of himself in The Man Who Knew Too Much (Season 6).
- Castiel faced another version of himself in The Empty in The Big Empty (Season 13). Castiel later killed his alternate counterpart in Exodus.
- As of the Season 13 episode Tombstone, Jack is officially a member of the team.
- Also, through his induction two of the four members are related: Sam and Dean are brothers while Castiel and Jack are uncle and nephew.
- As of the Season 13 episode The Bad Place, all members of the Team Free Will 2.0 have visited the Apocalypse World.
- As of the Season 13 episode The Bad Place, all members of the Team Free Will 2.0 have killed an angel.
- By this point, Dean has killed Zachariah, the Rogue Angel and the Reapers Maurice and April Kelly.
- Sam killed Miriam.
- Castiel has killed countless angels, particularly during his stint as "God."
- Jack kills one of Kaia's Abductors by himself and the other and the Shipyard Attackers in conjunction with Kaia Nieves.