The Bad Place is the 9th episode and the mid-season finale of Season 13. It aired on December 7, 2017.
|There was something about being there... It felt pure.|
This episode summary is an official CW press release. It may contain errors.
DO NOT CHANGE!
Jack, desperate to prove to Sam and Dean that he is good and that he can control his powers, enlists the help of a dreamcatcher named Kaia (guest star Yadira Guevara-Prip) to help him find Mary Winchester (guest star Samantha Smith) and save her from the alternate universe. However, when plans go awry, the Winchester brothers are the ones who need saving.
- Clark Backo as Patience Turner
- Yadira Guevara-Prip as Kaia Nieves
- Adrian Holmes as James Moseley
- Nathaniel Arcund as Derek Swan
- Ella Cannon as Paula Swan
- Elfina Luk and Brahm Taylor as Kaia's Abductors
- Milo Shandel as Counselor
Featured Supernatural BeingsEdit
- Angels (Kaia's Abductors)
- Archangel (Lucifer, mentioned only)
- Cloaked Figures
- Dreamwalkers (Derek Swan and Kaia Nieves)
- Nephilim (Jack)
- Prince of Hell (Asmodeus, referenced only)
- Psychic (Patience Turner)
- Seraph (Castiel, mentioned only)
- Mary Winchester previously appeared in The Rising Son.
- John Winchester's Journal previously appeared in The Rising Son.
- James Moseley, Jody Mills and Patience Turner previously appeared in Patience.
- Jack previously appeared in Tombstone.
- Angels were previously featured in War of the Worlds.
- Angel Blades were previously featured in War of the Worlds.
- The Apocalypse World was previously seen in War of the Worlds.
- A rift was previously seen in War of the Worlds.
- The angels going extinct was mentioned in War of the Worlds.
- The episode was watched by 1.73 million viewers and got a 0.6 rating. This is the show's most watched mid-season finale since O Brother, Where Art Thou? in Season 11.
- The title of the episode is a reference to the 1990 horror/suspense/mystery novel of the same name written by Dean Koontz. It's also a reference to what Kaia calls the alternate universe populated by monsters.
- This is the first part of the two-parter story for Wayward Sisters, the upcoming spin-off.
- This is the first episode to feature multiple alternate universes.
- This is the first mid-season finale since Season 11 to not feature Castiel though Dean believes he has talked to him on the phone.
- Kaia said "Trump's America", which might imply that Donald Trump has become the president of the United States, or at least has attained a position of significant influence within the United States government.
- Jack says Derek Swan is a descendant of the Black Elk. The Black Elk was a famous medicine man of the Oglala Lakota (Sioux) who lived in the present-day United States, primarily South Dokota. The details of his life were recorded by amateur ethnologist John Neihardt and published numerous times, most recently in 2008. Black Elk converted to Roman Catholicism near the end of his life, and reared all of his children as Catholics as well.
- The rift that Jack and Kaia opened looks similar to the real life Gabriel the Archangel's appearance when he announced to Mary that she will bear Jesus, the Son of God, on Henry Ossawa Tanner's 1898 painting "The Annunciation".
- As of this episode, all main characters have visited the Apocalypse World.
- Apocalypse World is given its official title.
|“||I am home.||”|
|“||I hate doing this to myself! Putting that junk in my body but it's the only thing that keep me awake. It's the only thing that keeps me from The Bad Place.||”|
|“||I was scared, I was upset, but why would I look for him? He's no one to me. You, Castiel, you're my family.||”|
|“||You raised me to do what's right, and this is what's right. If I don't go, People will die.||”|
|“||You picked the wrong bait. I'm not the kind of girl folks come for. In this world, I don't even rank a milk carton. No one is gonna come for me. I'm not white, rich, blonde. No one's gonna fight for me. I don't matter.||”|
|“||It's not a gift. It's a curse. When Derek walked, he was free. He could go see beautiful things, worlds that are paradises, I wish it was like that for me but it's not. I only go to one place. The Bad Place. It's just blood and death and monsters.||”|