The Magnificent Seven is the season premiere of Season 3. It premiered on October 4th, 2007.
|There was something about being there... It felt pure.|
This episode summary is an official CW press release. It may contain errors.
DO NOT CHANGE!
Bracing themselves for the possibility of an apocalyptic war, Sam and Dean realize they have an enormous task of hunting down the hundreds of demons that escaped from the Devil's Gate. With only a year left to live, Dean decides to live life to the fullest and exhibits a carefree attitude that troubles Sam, who is trying to find a loophole in the deal. Bobby (guest star Jim Beaver) tells the brothers about a sighting in Nebraska that turns out to be seven demons that are the actual manifestations of the Seven Deadly Sins.
Oak Park, Illinois: Season Three opens in a residential neighborhood just west of Chicago in Oak Park, giving a pan shot of the skyline in the background. A male resident is taking out a bag of trash. He pauses for a second as he approaches the sidewalk. A slight breathing sound is heard in the distance. He glances back at his car and continues walking to the curb. After placing the trash in the can, he starts walking back towards the house, when he hears the trash cans rattling. He turns around and walks slowly towards them. The closer he approaches the cans, they faster and louder they rattle. Then the street lights starts to flicker and as he looks up into the sky, a cloud of black demonic smoke starts to form alongside the moonlight. As the clouds inch closer to him, several strands of the smoke break away from the cloud and shoot towards him. One of the strands knocks him on the ground and enters through his mouth. After swallowing all the smoke, the black demonic eyes appear inside the man. He gets up and looks up into the sky, as the smoke makes its way over the Chicago skyline and dissipates.
Motel (Location unknown, one week later): Sam's sitting inside the parked Impala reading through ritual books on demons trying to find any lead on breaking Dean free of the deal he made at the crossroads. Meanwhile, Dean himself is inside the motel getting laid with two hot chicks. Bobby calls the boys and tells them about a possible lead on a demonic omen outside of Lincoln, Nebraska. Only signs are crop failure and a cicada swarm, but it's their only lead. Without further hesitation, the boys hit the road.
Just outside Lincoln, Nebraska, The boys meet up with Bobby at the house of one of the latest victims, hoping to find more leads on the demon. They are surprised to find three dead rotting bodies in the middle of the living room when they enter the door. There are no traces of sulfur or any other signs of a demonic attack. If it is one, it's nothing like they've ever seen. Whilst at the house, they run into a couple of longtime hunter friends of Bobby's, Isaac and Tamara, who are working this case as well. Later at Isaac and Tamara's house, Dean gets in touch with coroner who tells him that the cause of death for the whole family was dehydration and starvation, which doesn't make any sense being that there was a fully stocked kitchen a few feet away. Isaac refuses to team up the boys since they were the ones that let the Devil's gate open up in the first place. Outside the house a young female blonde suddenly appears out of the dense fog, looking suspiciously at the house, but she doesn't enter.
Department Store: The demon-possessed man from Oak Park walks into a local department store and approaches a random girl inside. He lays his hand on her and says, "Say, those are nice shoes", gesturing towards a woman examining a green pair of heels. The girl turns around, eyeing the heels, and agrees with him. She glances back and walks over to the woman with the shoes and says she wants them. When the woman refuses to give them to her, she makes a second attempt outside by her car. When the woman refuses to give up the shoes again, the girl grabs her by the woman and slams her face against the car windshield several times causing her right eye to gouge out with blood, leaving her dead on the sidewalk. The girl then grabs the pair of shoes and takes off.
Later after the cops arrive on the scene, Bobby and the boys show up, looking for signs of a demonic possession. They find no traces of sulfur at all. It seems as if that girl really just wanted those shoes. Taking a look at the surveillance tape, they see the possessed man approach the girl and decide to follow him as their next move. Outside the department store, the blonde girl who appeared outside Isaac and Tamara's house last night appears across the street behind a tree. She seems to be taking a high interest in Sam. She follows Sam as he's walking down the block but makes herself scarce before he turns around.
Local Bar (that evening): Bobby and the boys are parked outside a local bar where Walter Rosen, the demon-possessed man from Oak Park, likes to hang out. Rosen does indeed show up, but the boys are not ready to make a move yet, given that they don't know what these demons are capable of. However, they run into an obstacle when Isaac and Tamara show up and walk inside. The two of them sit down at a table near the demon. A few minutes later, Rosen walks into the bathroom. As Isaac heads towards the bathroom, he is halted by another demon and the two of them soon discover they are trapped in the bar by seven demons.
One of the demons lays his hand on Isaac with a bottle of drain cleaner and insists that he take a drink. Under the influence of the demon, he chugs the whole bottle and immediately falls to the floor coughing up chunks of blood. He soon dies. Bobby and the boys take the car and drive through the door to the bar. Inside, they immediately start lashing the demons with batches of holy water. Sam gets Tamara into the car and Dean manages to get Rosen trapped inside the devil's trap in the trunk and they drive off.
House: Back at the house, with Rosen tied in a chair under another Devil's Trap, Bobby, Tamara and the boys are trying to figure out what their next move is. Looking at one of the books, Bobby soon realizes that they're up against the Seven Deadly Sins, who were discovered to be actual demons back in 1589 by Peter Binsfeld. Tamara wants to go back to the bar, but the boys convince her that's not a good move because they don't know what these demons are capable of.
The four of them approach the demon in the next room, but don't manage to get much out of him. Without further hesitation, they send this demon straight back to hell, with Tamara doing the honors of exorcising him. Then there were six. They realize that there's no way out of this and that the demons will be coming for them. They must fight and exorcise them all one by one.
With the four of them ready to hunt down the rest of the Sins, they suddenly hear Isaac's voice calling out for Tamara from the distance outside. He approaches closer and closer to the house. Bobby keep her calm by telling her it's not Isaac, that one of the demons is possessing his corpse. When Isaac approaches the door, Tamara can't take it anymore and bursts through the door throwing Isaac to the ground. She stabs him with a wooden spike and then proceeds to exorcise the demon from Isaac's body.
The five remaining demons enter the house. The demon of Sloth makes his way towards Bobby but falls immediately into another Devil's Trap. Bobby wastes no time exorcising it. Now down to just four demons, the demon of Lust takes on Dean, while the remaining three work on Sam. Dean manages to lure the demon of Lust into a bathtub full of holy water, knocking her out cold. Sam, however, has his hands full when he fails to traps the other three inside a devil's trap. Luckily for him, the blonde girl comes to his rescue slicing the three of them dead with a special knife. When Sam asks who she is, she replies "I'm the girl that just saved your ass" and walks out of the room. The big questions on his mind are who is this girl and why is she helping him. Also on everyone's mind is what kind of knife she's using, because for the past two years, the boys haven't found any kind of knife that could stab a demon dead.
The next morning: The boys lay all the dead demons' hosts in a hole, salt them and burn them. The troubling question on everyone's mind is that is if they let out the seven deadly sins, what else did they let out? Tamara and Bobby take off. Sam suggests heading down to Louisiana to visit this hoodoo priest Tamara told him about that might be able to help Dean get out of his demon deal. Dean refuses to go because if they try to trap the crossroads demon in anyway, Sam drops dead.
Sam's about had it and accuses Dean of being a hypocrite. After how torn apart Dean was when he found out that John sold his soul for him, Sam can't believe that Dean would even think of doing the same thing for him. Dean explains to Sam that's he's tired and sick of the job. "Sam, I've got a year left to live. So what's say we kill some evil sons of bitches, and we raise a little hell?". On that note, the boys drive off in Impala on their next hunt.
- Caroline Chikezie as Tamara
- Peter Macon as Isaac
- Josh Daugherty as Envy and Walter Rosen
- C. Ernst Harth as Sloth
- Michael Rogers as Gluttony
- Katya Virshilas as Lust
- Ben Cotton as Pride
- Gardiner Millar as Wrath
- Tiara Sorensen as Greed
Featured Supernatural BeingsEdit
- Crossroad Demon (Dean's Crossroad Demon, mentioned only)
- Demon (Ruby)
- Seven Deadly Sins
- White-Eyed Demon (Lilith, referenced only)
- Less than a week has passed since the events of All Hell Breaks Loose - Part 2.
- First appearance of Ruby's Knife and Ruby herself.
- When the scene cuts to a CSI agent taking a photo of the bloodied broken windscreen, as it pans you can hear an agent in the background say "Better call Grissom." Which is a reference to the television series CSI: Crime Scene Investigators' the Graveyard Shift CSI Supervisor - Gil Grissom.
- This episode marks the first time the show has a third main cast member, after Sam and Dean. That being Ruby. Season 3 was intended to have four with the later introduction of Bela.
- It is shown throughout the episode that the demons could control humans with a touch (as evidenced by Envy controlling the woman and Gluttony controlling Isaac). When Lust touched Dean, however, he was able to lure her over to the bathtub, which was full of holy water. No explanation is given for his immunity; it is echoed in My Bloody Valentine when he seems to be the only one not affected by Famine. His explanation for this is that he is "well-fed."
- The shoes that the woman who was influenced by Envy kills for are green. The color green is often associated with envy (e.g., green with envy).
- This episode is the first time we see Bobby in anything other than his usual vest and trucker hat.
- The "Polling the Electorate" line is a reference to The Simpsons. On that show, the local cops joke that Mayor "Diamond Joe" Quimby is "polling the electorate" whenever he meets an attractive young woman for a motel-room tryst.
- The quote "Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way through life, son." is a direct quote from the movie, Animal House.
- When Envy says, "I am legion, for we are many," this is a quote from the Bible when Jesus meets the Gerasene Demoniac in Mark 5. Jesus asks him in Mark 5:9, "What is your name?" to which he replies, "My name is Legion; for we are many." See also Luke 8:30. Jesus casts them into a herd of 2,000 swine, thus implying there were 2,000 unclean spirits.
- Bobby refers to Peter Binsfeld's classification of demons, prepared in 1589, in which the Seven Deadly Sins are associated with demons as follows: Lucifer (pride), Mammon (greed), Asmodeus (lust), Leviathan (envy), Beelzebub (gluttony), Satan (wrath) and Belphegor (sloth).
- The bar the demons are at is called "The Old Terminal Pub".
- "Hells Bells" by AC/DC
- "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet" by Bachman Turner Overdrive
- "I Shall Not Be Moved" by J.B. Burnett
- "Mean Little Town" by Howling Diablos
- Dean: You're alive, I feel good for the first time in a long time. I got a year to live... Sam, I'd like to make the most of it, so what you say we kill some evil sons of bitches and we raise a little hell, huh?
- Sam: You're unbelievable.
- Dean: Very true.
- Envy: You really think you're better than me. Which one of you can cast the first stone, huh? What about you, Dean? You're practically a walking billboard of gluttony and lust.
[Dean silently agrees with a knowing look]
- Isaac: A family that slays together...
- Envy: Some people crochet, others golf. Me? I like to see people's insides on their outside.
- Bobby: Do you have any idea who we're up against?
- Dean: No, who?
- Bobby: The Seven Deadly Sins, live and in the flesh!
- Dean: [laughs] "What's in the box?" [the response is silence] Brad Pitt?...Se7en?
- Pride: And you are Sam Winchester. That's right, I've heard of you. We've all heard of you. The prodigy. The boy king. Looking at you know, I gotta tell you – don't believe the hype.
- Envy: I am Legion, for we are many.
- Dean: It's like there's a light at the end of the tunnel.
- Sam: That's hellfire, Dean.
- Dean: Eh, well, whatever.
- German: Die glorreichen Sieben (The Magnificent Seven)
- Hungarian: A hét halálos bűn (The Seven Deadly Sins)
- French: Les Sept Pêchés Capitaux (The Seven Deadly Sins)