Most of the members of the Winchester family were or are hunters, but not all of them. John Winchester was the head of the family. The Winchester bloodline goes back to Cain and Abel, making them the Winchesters' ancestors. Mary Winchester (née Campbell) comes from a family of hunters, while the Winchester line were traditionally Men of Letters.
== Known members ==
Henry Winchester (deceased) - He was the father of John Winchester, the father-in-law of Mary Campbell and the grandfather of Dean, Sam and Adam. A Man of Letters, he was entering his final initiation in 1958, when they were attacked by the powerful demon Abaddon. Through a spell he managed to flee to 2013, there he met his grandsons, and teamed up with them (after some disagreements) to stop Abaddon who had followed him, and prevent her getting the key. He managed to defeat Abaddon, by firing a bullet with a devil's trap engraved on it, thus immobilising her, and trapping her in her host. However Abaddon was able to deal him a fatal blow before he was able. And he died holding his grandsons' hands.
* John Winchester (deceased) - Head of the Winchester family. He was the husband of Mary. He had two sons with Mary, Dean and Sam. He had no knowledge of the supernatural world before his wife's murder. He became a hunter so he could avenge Mary. Sometime after his wife's murder, he had another son out of wedlock, Adam. He traded his life along with the Colt so Azazel would heal and resurrect Dean when he was in a catatonic state after a car crash. Later, he escaped Hell, when the gates were opened and helped his sons to defeat Azazel. After that, he disappeared in a flash of light, and presumably went to Heaven. He was a man of family and had died for it.
* Mary Winchester (née Campbell) (deceased) - She is the wife of John and the mother of Dean and Sam. She named her two sons after her deceased parents, Samuel and Deanna. Her parents raised her as a hunter, but she gave up hunting after she met John and both her parents were killed by Azazel. She was killed by Azazel when Sam was six months old and she went into his room to check on him and witnessed Azazel feeding baby Sam his demon blood. She never told John about the supernatural world or her former life as a hunter. Dean and Sam didn't learn about her hunter origins until Castiel sent Dean back in time, where he met younger versions of John and Mary in "In The Beginning".
* Dean Winchester - He is the eldest son of John and Mary and the older brother of Sam and Adam. He is one of the three surviving members of the Winchester family. He was forced to grow up right away in order to take care of his little brother, Sam, which eventually became who he was in life. He was raised into hunting by his father, John, and killed serveral times throughout the show. He always thought he would "die bloody" and stay dead but never does. He has sacrificed many things and people in order to do his job. He knew hunting was in his blood and accepted the fact.
* Sam Winchester - He is the youngest son of John and Mary. He is the younger brother of Dean and the older half-brother of Adam. He is one of the three surviving members of the Winchester family. His father, John, hadn't brought him into hunting right away like his older brother, Dean. Instead he had to find out who his family was the hard way and eventually was forced to go into "The Family Business". He had always been the odd one out, but eventually accepted the fact that hunting was who he is.
* Adam Milligan - He is the youngest son of John with nurse Kate. He is one of the three surviving members of the Winchester family. He was conceived sometime during John's time as a hunter. He is the younger half-brother of Dean and Sam. Unlike his brothers, John did not tell him about the supernatural world. John and he did not have a strong relationship, but when John visited him they would do normal father-son activities. He and his mother were killed by ghouls that were the children of a ghoul John had killed. He never met his half-brothers before season 5 and John most likely never told him about them due to the fact that Dean and Sam never knew of his existence until the ghoul disguised as Adam called them. Regardless of not being a hunter, his half-brothers gave him a hunter's funeral on the reasoning that Adam died the death of a hunter so he deserved the funeral of one. Eventually, he was brought back to life by the angels under the impression that he would be the vessel of Michael, but really bait to get Dean to say "Yes" to Michael. When this plan failed, Michael gave up on Dean and decided to use Adam as a vessel. He is still currently being possessed by Michael and alive in Lucifer's Cage.
* Cain and Abel (deceased) - It was revealed by the Archangel Michael that through the Winchester bloodline, Dean, Sam, Adam and John are descendants of Cain and Abel, making John a temporary vessel and Dean his true vessel.
== Allies ==
* Bobby Singer (deceased) - A fellow hunter, who helps the Winchester brothers with many of their cases. He sometimes sends the boys to places that he believes are experiencing the supernatural. The brothers see Bobby as a surrogate father. When they were children, Sam and Dean would call him "Uncle Bobby". Bobby was shot and killed by the leviathan Dick Roman when he, Sam, and Dean were trying to defeat the Leviathans. Remained as a ghost to help Sam and Dean but was banished in the finale at his own request as he was beginning to become a vengeful spirit.
* William Harvelle (deceased)-A hunter and the father of Joana Beth Harvelle and husband of Ellen Harvelle he was Killed by John Winchester as an act of mercy after an exorcism was performed his Insides were ripped open by a Demon leading to his Death.
* Ellen Harvelle (deceased) - A fellow hunter, who was a friend of John Winchester. Like Bobby, she gave guidance to Sam and Dean about hunting. She was like a mother-figure to the two brothers, lecturing them about not calling her enough to inform her that they were all right. She died trying to help Dean and Sam kill Lucifer with the Colt by blowing herself up to kill HellHounds.
* Jo Harvelle (deceased) - A fellow hunter, who was a daughter of Ellen and friend to Dean and Sam. She held romantic feelings for Dean, while he looked at her as if she were a sister. She died trying to help Dean and Sam kill Lucifer with the Colt by getting ripped to shreds by HellHounds.
* Ash (deceased) - A friend to Dean and Sam. Although not a hunter, he attempted to help the brothers track down Azazel. He had died in a fire along with other hunters. He now happily resides in Heaven.
* Castiel - The angel that saved Dean from Hell, he started out as an emotionless ally who the Winchesters, especially Dean, were originally more annoyed with than grateful, though over time, Castiel became their greatest friend and ally, supposedly calling him their own personal guardian angel. He rebelled against Heaven and the other angels for the Winchesters, putting himself in a bad position for them, and after the Apocalypse was stopped, he returned to Heaven to create peace. This proved difficult because of Raphael, and Castiel continued to have many turbulent occurrences over time.
* Pamela Barnes (deceased) - A psychic, who was a friend of Bobby Singer. She lost her eyes trying to figure out what being rescued Dean from Hell, bringing him back to life, but she only learned the being's name, Castiel. She also helped the brothers help Anna in regaining her memories of being an angel. She returned again to use her powers to turn the brothers into spirits in a town where the local Reaper was captured and no one could die. She lost her life protecting the brothers' bodies from demons when the brothers' souls were still out of their bodies. She's in Heaven now, enjoing her personal one.
* Chuck Shurley - A prophet that sees the future of the Winchester brothers. He would use his visions of the future to help the brothers with matters of the Apocalypse. He was a lonely drunk and was fond over "Team Free Will". He was writing "The Winchester Gospel" even before he knew he was a prophet. It is unknown if he is deceased or alive. It is strongly implied that he is God.
* Jody Mills - She is a police office in Sioux Falls where Bobby lived. The winchesters saved her life, and opened her eyes to the other side. So she in return helped them and Bobby. When Dean goes missing, Jody comes to help Sam get his brother back and successfully does so. It is unknown if she is deceased or alive.
* Garth Fitzgerald IV - A laid back hunter, who the brothers have teamed up with on three seperate occasions. It is unknown if he is deceased or alive as of now, he is MIA.
* Kevin Tran (deceased) - A young prophet who meets the Winchesters when he wants to take the Leviathan tablet from them. He was captured by Crowley in "Survival of the Fittest", but later manages to escape and spends a year on the run until the brothers find him again. Kevin helps the Winchesters by deciphering the demon tablet that tells how to keep demons out of Earth forever. In season 8, he is again caught by Crowley who tricks him with fake demons playing Dean and Sam. But he eventually figures out that they're demon actors and escapes them too, and is now MIA. Kevin was smited by Gadreel he was killed instantly.
* Balthazar (deceased)-A rogue Angel who becomes allies with the Winchester when he claims he "Disliked" Castiels answers about opening Purgatory and absorbing all of the Souls to kill Raphael, The Archangel.
* Archangel Gabriel (deceased)- One of the four Archangels, brother of Archangel Michael, Archangel Raphael and the exiled former archangel Lucifer. He went rogue many eons ago after he could no longer take all the in fighting between the Host of Heaven, or "his family" as he has called them many times. During ancient times, when he was wondering the human world, Gabriel took the name of the pagan deity Loki, God of Mischief and Evil from the Norse mythology. His first meeting with the Winchesters was on one of their cases, when he was posing as a pagan demigod, also known as a Trickster. Eventually, Sam and Dean learn of his true identity and the story behind his actions after trapping him in Holy Fire. During Lucifer's incursion of the Elysian Fields Hotel, Gabriel decides to ally with the Winchesters and save humanity from his brothers' quarrels, but ends up being killed by him. It is later revealed, when the brothers receive a video from him, that he planned his death all along. He did however, help them immensely, by leaving valuable information on how to open Lucifer's Cage; thus, becoming the sole reason for their success.
* Rachel (Estranged)(deceased)-A Castiel Loyalist who comes to The Winchesters and Bobby when she hears them pray for Castiel, she claims that they call Castiel whenever they need something and that they're not his friends.
== Enemies ==
* Azazel (deceased) — Season 1 to 2
* Lilith (deceased) — Season 3 to 4
* Lucifer (sealed) — Season 5
* Raphael (deceased) — Season 6
* Dick Roman (deceased) - Season 7
* Meg Masters (Human - deceased, Demon - deceased) — Season 1, 2, 5, enemy, ally in Seasons 6,7 and 8
* Gordon Walker (deceased) — Season 2 to 3
* Ruby (deceased) — Season 3 to 4
* Uriel (deceased) — Season 4
* Alastair (deceased) — Season 4
* Zachariah (deceased) — Season 4 to 5
* Anna Milton (deceased) — ally in Season 4, enemy in Season 5
* Crowley — ally in Season 5 and Season 7, enemy in Season 6 and Season 8
== Notable Others ==
* Jessica Moore (deceased) — Season 1
* Gabriel (deceased) — Season 2 to 3, 5 (posed as The Trickster during Season 2 & 3)
* Tessa — Seasons 2, 4, 6
* Michael — Season 5
* Death — Seasons 5, 6, 7, 9 (made a deal with Dean in Season 5 and 6)
* Lisa Braeden -— Season 3, 5, 6
* Bela Talbot (deceased) — Season 3 (mostly an enemy, on rare occasions an ally)
* Balthazar (deceased) — Season 6 (enemy on first encounter, ally onwards)
* The name Winchester may be a pun on the rifle of the same name. In the episode, "The Benders", this is referenced.
* The season 8 episode, "As Time Goes By" marked the first time a Winchester outside of the brothers and John appeared. Previously, only the Campbells' extended family was shown.
* Though John grew up without a father, it should be noted that in "In the Beginning", in 1973 a guy at a diner says to a young John Winchester "say hello to your old man for me", implying the presence of a paternal figure. Of course it is possible that John's mother (who was never mentioned) remarried and this refers to a step-father, or that she was already absent or dead when Henry disappeared and John ended up adopted or in foster care. John later also states that he is a "mechanic from a family of mechanics", but never specifically said his father was a mechanic. While it seems that Henry and his father were not mechanics, other family members may have been, including his mother which is plausible given the number of women that entered the profession during World War 2.