Tricksters are a type of mischievous beings or demideities with the ability to warp reality and make real-looking objects and people out of thin air.
- "Demigod-like immortal creatures that thrive on creating mischief and mayhem. With the power to make objects materialize out of thin air, the Trickster accomplishes its destructive feats via unusual and often humorous means, its intent to humble the self-important. The Trickster's metabolism is such that it craves sugary treats and consumes calories voraciously. To kill a Trickster one must obtain a stake dipped in the blood of its victim and plunge it into the creature's heart. Famous Tricksters include Loki of Scandinavian myth and Anansi of West Africa."
- —Pad of Definitions[src]
- "These things create chaos and mischief as easy as breathing. They're more like Demigods, really. There's Loki in Scandinavia. There's Anansi in West Africa. Dozens of them. They’re immortal, and they can create things out of thin air, things as real as you and me. Make them vanish just as quick. Tricksters target the high and the mighty, knock 'em down a peg, usually with a sense of humor -- deadly pranks, things like that...They're lots of things, but human, mostly."
Tricksters are rather rare but their powers are greater than most beings; they are able to warp reality, create people and objects out of thin air and create time loops. According to Bobby, they can take the form of anything but most of the time they appear as humans. They generally have a sweet tooth, and enjoy sugary treats. They commonly have a mischievous personality, and generally go after the high and mighty, and enjoy taking them down a peg, normally in ironic ways.
Castiel suspected that The Trickster (really Gabriel) wasn't a Trickster, as its powers were far above those to be considered one. Sam and Dean also encountered Mercury, who may have been a trickster due to his role in his respected Mythology and shown powers.
Even though the only Trickster that appeared on the series was really an archangel, Bobby gave examples of some of the powers of a real Trickster, as he said himself, "They’re immortal, and they can create things out of thin air, things as real as you and me. Make them vanish just as quick."
- Reality Warping - Tricksters can warp reality to some degree.
- Shapeshifting - According to Bobby, Tricksters can change their shape to a lot of things, but mainly look human-like. In Bobby's Guide to Hunting, he hunted a trickster that could change into a spider, a man, and a monster lumbering industrial compressor at will.
- Conjuration - Tricksters can create anything out of thin air, whether it be people or objects.
- Immortality - Tricksters can live forever and not age,
- Invulnerability - They can only die if they are staked to the heart with a stake dipped in the blood of one of their victims.
- Super Strength - Tricksters are stronger than humans and most monsters.
- Teleportation - Tricksters can travel where ever they want to appear.
- Telekinesis - Tricksters can move people and things with their mind.
- Pyrokinesis - Tricksters can create fire.
- Stake of wood dipped in the blood of one of their victim - A stake of wood dipped in the blood of a Trickster's victim, then stick in the heart of this same Trickster, is one of the only things that can kill him.
- The Colt - This gun can kill anything except five things in all creation.
- Primordial Entities - Archangels, God, Death and The Darkness could easily kill a Trickster.