Twigs & Twine & Tasha Banes is the 20th episode of Season 12. It aired on May 4, 2017.
|There was something about being there... It felt pure.|
This episode summary is an official CW press release. It may contain errors.
DO NOT CHANGE!
Alicia Banes (guest star Kara Royster) calls Mary (guest star Samantha Smith) for help after her mother, Tasha (guest star Alvina August), goes missing. Sam answers Mary's phone and he and Dean head out to help Alicia and her twin brother, Max (guest star Kendrick Sampson), find their mother who was hunting a powerful witch. Meanwhile, Mary starts to have some doubts about the British Men of Letters.
- Samantha Smith as Mary Winchester and Captured Shapeshifter
- Elizabeth Blackmore as Lady Toni Bevell (uncredited)
- David Haydn-Jones as Arthur Ketch and Captured Shapeshifter
- Kendrick Sampson as Max Banes
- Kara Royster as Alicia Banes
- Alvina August as Tasha Banes
- Tim Carlson as Andy
- Paul Rogic as Rick Walsh
- Linda Darlow as Witch
Featured Supernatural Beings
- Archangel (Lucifer, mentioned only)
- Nephilim (Jack, referenced only)
- Psychic (Magda Peterson, referenced only)
- Seraph (Castiel, mentioned only)
- Shapeshifter (Captured Shapeshifter)
- Werewolf (Garth Fitzgerald IV, photo only)
- Witches (Borrower Witch, Max Banes, Tasha Banes)
- Alicia and Max Banes previously physically appeared in Celebrating The Life Of Asa Fox.
- Alicia's voice was heard in First Blood.
- Celebrating The Life Of Asa Fox was also written by Steve Yockey.
- Lady Toni Bevell previously appeared in Mamma Mia.
- Arthur Ketch admits to killing the Secret Service Agents and Magda Peterson while informing Mary how he's been cleaning up after Sam and Dean.
- The Grenade Launcher was previously shown in Regarding Dean.
- The Enochian Brass Knuckles was previously used in Stuck in the Middle (With You).
- The episode was watched by 1.51 million viewers and got a 0.5 rating.
- This is the second episode in Season 12 that Richard Speight Jr. directed. The first one was Stuck in the Middle (With You). This makes him the first cast member to direct multiple episodes in one season.
- This is the second time Steve Yockey wrote an episode that featured Max Banes, Alicia Banes and Mary Winchester.
- Sam's line, "their mom's on a hunting trip and hasn't been home for a week", is a reference to Dean's line in the Pilot: "Dad's on a hunting trip and he hasn't been home in a few days."
- Sam revealed that Jody put an APB on Castiel and Kelly across 3 states.
- The painting seen inside the Mountain Slumber Boarding House, is actually the same place Castiel asked for God's guidance in the season 6 episode, The Man Who Would Be King.
- This is the first time the Enochian Brass Knuckles was used on a human.
- The ages, place of birth and current resident of Garth Fitzgerald IV, Claire Novak and Eileen Leahy are revealed through the British Men of Letters database.
- Both Claire and Eileen's current residence are listed as "In transit". Garth is listed as "Grantsburg, Wisconsin".
- This episode reveals that it is possible for witches who obtain their magic through demon deals to escape damnation by giving their magic powers to another witch.
- Although it is still strange that the borrower witch hoped not to go to hell anyway, since the deals are not the only way to condemn the soul.
- In the scene where Dean is talking to Alicia, Max and the fake Tasha, he is seen wearing the same red polo shirt he wore in the season 10 episode, Inside Man.
- It's unknown how the Winchesters and the twins Banes know the classification of witches as borrowers and naturals as Rowena establishes that this nomenclature was given by the Grand Coven.
- It is unknown how well Mick's body is being preserved, or why has it been kept for so long. Mary was able to identify the gun shot wound that killed Mick and recognize the corpse upon sight.
- On Netflix, the episode is misspelled as Twigs & Twine & Naomi Banes.
- It's implied that being born of a natural witch doesn't make anyone necessarily one, as Max was a natural witch and Alicia not. However, this could be due to the father.
|“||If Cass messed up, if he did something wrong but he thought it was for the right reasons, I got it, right? But last night? When I looked at him? I did not recognize the guy staring back at me.||”|
|“||Okay. So, last night... that Super Mario power-up crap. That wasn't Cass. That freakin' baby isn't even born yet, and it sock puppeted him. Think about it, Cass said that he had 'faith' in Lucifer Jr., what's that supposed to mean to me?||”|
|“||Family's always complicated. Parents always seem smart and strong and perfect. It's only when you grow up that you realize that they are just people.||”|
|“||Hey. It's me. Sorry I couldn't pick up before, I've been on a hunt with Ketch. And Dean, I'm sorry I haven't been there for you and Sam. But I wanna be. I will be. I just... I need to finish this. I miss you boys. I love you.||”|
— Mary's voice mail
|“||I've been cleaning up after them for months. I took care of those federal agents they stupidly allowed to live. I killed a psychic girl who they thought was human. Honestly, they're damn sloppy.||”|
|“||Now Mary... Let's begin.||”|