Unhuman Nature is the 7th episode of Season 14. It aired on November 29, 2018.
|There was something about being there... It felt pure.|
This episode summary is an official CW press release. It may contain errors.
DO NOT CHANGE!
Sam and Castiel track down a Shaman (guest star Dimitri Vantis), who may be able to help a friend. Nick continues to spiral down a dark path as he looks for answers surrounding the deaths of his wife and son. Jack turns to Dean for help enjoying the human experience.
- Jared Padalecki as Sam Winchester
- Jensen Ackles as Dean Winchester
- Misha Collins as Castiel
- Mark Pellegrino as Nick
- Alexander Calvert as Jack
- Craig March as Frank Kellogg
- Leanne Khol Young as Diane Fargo
- Raylene Harewood as Madelyn
- Dmitiri Vantis as Sergei
- Linda Ko as Doctor
- Morgan Brayton as Admitting Nurse
- Kendra Westwood as Nurse
Featured Supernatural BeingsEdit
- Archangels (Lucifer; Gabriel, mentioned only)
- Demon (Abraxas, mentioned only)
- Nephilim (Jack)
- Seraph (Castiel)
- Shaman (Sergei)
- Witch (Rowena MacLeod)
- Nick previously appeared in Gods and Monsters.
- Rowena MacLeod previously appeared in the Season 13 episode Exodus.
- The Empty was previously featured in the Season 13 episode The Big Empty.
- A Shaman was previously featured in the Season 9 episode Dog Dean Afternoon.
- The Book of the Damned was previously featured in the Season 11 episode We Happy Few.
- Castiel mentions Gabriel's exploits in Monte Carlo with pornstars which was mentioned in Season 13's Bring 'em Back Alive and Unfinished Business.
- Jack mentions Rowena helping in bringing everyone back from Apocalypse World, which occurred in Season 13's Exodus.
- The Book of the Damned is revealed to have been kept in the Men of Letters bunker for an unknown period of time until Rowena stole it following the events of Season 13's Exodus. Presumably this happened at some point following Season 11's Alpha and Omega, the last known time Rowena had been in the bunker and used Book of the Damned magic.
- Dean's threats to Jack in Season 13's The Rising Son are mentioned. According to Sam, Dean has never been able to forgive himself for it.
- This episode takes place a few weeks after Gods and Monsters given Nick's comment to Diane Fargo.
- Rowena reveals that Jack's illness is a result of the loss of his grace and as a result, his human and angel halves are attacking each other.
- Jack gets to drive the Impala and Dean teaches him how to drive.
- Jack and Dean's interactions are shown to be of a father-son nature with Jack purposefully choosing an activity that Dean had enjoyed with his own father to make a happy memory. Castiel also refers to Dean losing Jack as losing a son.
- This is the first episode to feature both a witch and a shaman.
- It is revealed in this episode that Frank Kellogg, possessed by a demon named Abraxas, was the one that murdered Nick's family in the Season 5 episode Sympathy for the Devil. Its also revealed that in Gods and Monsters, Arty Nielson revealed that he had seen a cop running out of Nick's house on the night of the murders and was threatened into silence by the police in an apparent cover-up to protect one of their own.
- While at the hospital, Jack's full name is given as Jack Kline for the first time in the show. However, a last name was only provided when the admitting nurse pressed for one. Furthermore, the Winchesters give Jack's date of birth as May 18, which is his actual date of birth, but the year as 2000 to make it more realistic. Dean briefly fluctuates between 2000 and 1999 before settling on 2000.
- Rowena's change for the better continues to be displayed: when she arrives at the Men of Letters bunker to help, she appears to have come simply because Sam asked for her help and she thought Dean was in trouble. While originally reluctant to help Jack because he is Lucifer's son, after he talks to her and collapses in front of her, Rowena goes "bollocks", the same thing she did when she decided to stay to try to keep the rift to Apocalypse World open and once more tries to help. She appears genuinely sympathetic with Jack's condition and sorrowed by her inability to save him.
- Jack is given some Gabriel's grace to recharge his own. However, his condition only worsens and Rowena states that all that can be done for him is to be there for Jack as he dies.
- Dean appears to be having problems of his own, experiencing dizzy spells, but it is unclear what is causing this.
- Castiel is seen driving again for the first time since Season 12's All Along the Watchtower. However, he is no longer driving his pimpmobile or his truck but a different car that appears to be a hybrid.
- After Nick prays to Lucifer, he is seemingly awoken in The Empty.
- Similar to how Jack awoke Castiel from his slumber.
- Rowena is shown not to know that Jack is Lucifer's son. This contradicts her taunt towards Lucifer about Sam, Dean and Castiel being Jack's fathers instead of him in the Season 13 episode Beat the Devil.
- However, she may not have known him by face as she showed no signs of recognizing him when he crossed the rift.
- She may not have realized at first that the Jack they were talking about was Lucifer's son Jack, explaining her confusion.