|Season(s)||3-5, 7- 8, 10|
|Occupation||Practitioners of Witchcraft|
A witch is a person with the power to affect change by magical means ("Witchcraft"). A witch can be either female or male, as they connect themselves with supernatural forces in order to practice sorcery.
Witchcraft is a practice of magic that encompasses many different types of activities including astrology, divination, spell casting, and spirit communication. It includes the practices of many cultures, nations and religions as well as many books and writings from ancient times. Depending upon the individual, some witches practice their power by certain belief systems, such as Hoodoo, Voodoo, Wicca, or any number of other magical practices from countries and cultures all around the world. Although the majority of witches are portrayed as being malevolent men and women who use their powers for dark and sinister deeds, other witches, such as Nora Havelock, have proven that not all witches are Satanic, and commonly use white magic to maintain balance within the world.
The term "Borrower" is commonly used to define any person who has obtained their power through demonic forces. These witches are known to have summoned demons and made deals with them in exchange for power. While it common for these witches to have exchanged their souls to gain more power, it has been implied that not all Borrowers sell their souls, but rather promise the demon something else of value. According to the witch Rowena, these witches are very common and make up for more than half of the witchcraft community.
- Amanda Burns (Dead)
- Don Harding (Dead)
- Don Stark (Alive)
- Elizabeth (Dead)
- Katja (Dead)
- Maggie Stark (Alive)
- Renee Van Allen (Dead)
- Ruby (Dead)
- Tammi (Dead)
- Tracy Davis (Dead)
The term "Natural" is commonly used to define any person who has obtained their power from biological development. Not much is known about these witches apart from the fact that they are known to have been born with a natural affinity to the supernatural powers of the universe. According to the witch Rowena, these witches are very rare and make up for less than half of the witchcraft community.
- Olivette (Alive)
- Rowena (Alive)
The term "Student" is commonly used to define any person who has obtained their power through practice and training. While these witches are commonly known to have been taught about witchcraft from other witches, it has been implied that some Students are self-taught. According to the witch Rowena, these witches are less common than Borrowers, but more common than Naturals.
- Charlie (Dead)
- Delta Mandotta (Unknown)
- Drexyl (Alive)
- Gary (Alive)
- Howard (Dead)
- James Frampton (Alive)
- Lia (Dead)
- Nora (Alive)
- Nora Havelock (Alive)
- Patrick (Alive)
- Spencer (Dead)
- Trevor (Dead)
- Wizard of Oz (Dead)
According to Bobby Singer, the power of a witch is not only dependent on the source of their magic, but also on their knowledge and training in witchcraft. For example, although witches who obtain their power from demons (Borrowers) are generally more powerful than witches who obtain their power from nature (Students), if a witch does not have much experience or practice of their powers, they can be easily subdued. This was proven after Sam Winchester easily frightened and intimidated a coven of Satanic witches who did not have much training in witchcraft and seemed powerless against him. Whereas, years later, the Winchesters met a Student witch named Spencer, who had years of experience and training and was well-versed in some of the most powerful spells the Winchesters have ever heard of. Among their many powers, almost every witch has demonstrated the following skills:
- Spell Casting - The act of changing and/or controlling events through the use of charms, hexes, rituals, etc. Powerful witches like Don Stark can easily cripple a Leviathan, however he states he can't outright kill them. Witches commonly require rituals and objects to direct the spells, such hex bags, or enchanted objects like tarot cards or coins.
- Hexing - A common use of magic which causes the person at whom the spell is aimed to die by the witch manipulating the environment around them.
- Telekinesis - The act of controlling and manipulating the movements of objects and people by mere mental influence.
- Electrokinesis - Some witches may be able to generate electricity through a spell, though it is not proven.
- Biokinesis - Some witches can use magic to manipulate the human body.
- Tracking - Some witches can use magic to track down and locate others.
- Summoning - Some witches have used spells to summon demons.
- Reality Warping - Some are able to alter reality through magic, but this is usually only done to a very small degree.
- Longevity - Some witches have been shown to live much longer than typical humans. Some are even potentially immortal, but they can still die as easily as normal humans, provided the attack can get through any invulnerability spells.
- Pyrokinesis - One witch was able to conjure fire.
- Astral projection - One witch was able to project both his own awareness as well as those of Sam and Dean out of their bodies. Another was able to use a spell to spy on her son.
- Memory Manipulation - One witch was able to transfer memories into the mind of another witch. He was also able to bring forth memories of Hell and Lucifer's cage in Dean and Sam respectively.
- Granting Invulnerability - One witch was able to charm himself so that he survived being hit by a car without a scratch, and also implied that being hit by bullets would only tickle him.
- Teleportation - One witch showed the power to teleport over short distances.
- Super strength - One witch was strong enough to lift a full-grown familiar into the air and slam him down with ease. Another was strong enough to rip victims to shreds with his bare hands.
- Power Granting - One witch was able to make her loyal servant immortal. Another did the same to a young man she was fond of.
- Potion Brewing - The act of brewing and concocting paranormal elixirs that contain supernatural properties.
- Curse Removal - Along with cursing people, witches can remove curses. Using the Book of the Damned, Rowena was able to remove the Mark of Cain, the very first curse, and indicated she could remove other curses as well.
- Grimoires - Certain witches use books and tomes that provide instruction on incantations, spells and sigils.
- Candles - Materials used to amplify a witch's spells.
- Hex Bags - Materials used to curse, kill, enchant or protect another person.
- Herbs and Roots - Materials used as ingredients for brewing magical potions.
- Book of the Damned - Powerful spellbook designed to create and remove curses. Only powerful and experienced witches can use it properly.
- Iron - Witches powers are bound by iron as shown when James Frampton couldn't astral project while bound by iron and Olivette was bound by it after Crowley captured her.
- Magic - While most witches have been known to cast protection spells upon themselves, some witches are still susceptible to magical influences and can presumably kill each other.
- Mortality: Based off the fact that witches are still human, they share many of the same weaknesses as non-supernatural beings (e.g. age, decapitation, disease, heart-failure, suffocation, etc.). However, it is known that especially powerful witches can overcome these weaknesses.
- Witch Killing Spell - A powerful spell designed specifically to kill witches. Kills only the witch its targeted against and can be used as a potion or in bullet form.
- Although witches aren't inherently evil, most nonetheless often turn evil (or at least have moments of disregard) as their power can corrupt them, or they make deals with demons for more in exchange for their souls. Dean compares it to crack, stating that once they get it, "it's surprising what they will do."
- Dean and Sam Winchester have the poorest record against witches. Thus far, only three witches have been defeated by the Winchester brothers specifically. More often than not, witches are killed by other creatures such as demons or other monsters.
- There are significant differences in power between witches; while newbie witches struggle to defend themselves from human attackers, more experienced witches have been known to overpower some of the most powerful monsters in existence. This was proven when the Book Club was easily intimidated by Sam Winchester who threatened to shoot the women if they didn't stop the hex that was placed on his brother. Whereas, a more experienced witch named Don Stark nonchalantly stunned a Leviathan.
- While it is known that Borrowers are condemned to hell upon their death, it is unknown if all witches are damned, or if other witches such as Naturals or Students who practice white magic can enter heaven.
- While some witches are known to have Familiars, the majority of witches do not.
- Whilst anyone can practice magic, witches normally (though exceptions do exist) have greater knowledge and power over harnessing mystical forces. Witches have existed for many centuries, and are found in many races' lore.
- Witches commonly form covens, but this is not a necessity. They are also often social, and meet with other witches.